Rate Hemispheres

Gompers

How do you rate Hemispheres?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Hemispheres?

This one is perfection for me. 10! I still remember going out to the record store to purchase the "red vinyl" Hemispheres album for $4.99 when it was released in Nov.1978. I went home & played it non-stop for weeks after that & it still holds up today almost 34 yrs later. Nothing compares to La Villa especilly the Pink Pop Festival version. Watch it here:

1,118,283 views & counting! A masterpiece!!

wub.gif Love love love it. One of several albums I first listened to when I discovered Rush for the first time.

Love the title track, and I like the story in it; some have remarked the song is long and could be more concise, but it works for me. It's a musical story, performed by musicians that are really frickin' good at what they do!

'Circumstances' is short (for a Rush song!) and spunky, and I love the time changes and bass line (and have to mention, too, the French! C'est bon!

'The Trees' has a nice, easily understood message, and some pretty darn good use of temple blocks.

'La Villa' is one of my very faves; I never get tired listening to it. I always seem to find something interesting in it - some part I never really noticed much before, or a bass line that just jumps out at me.

For having only four songs, this is an epic album. I like it so much I hunted down the red-disc record, just so I could own it in vinyl (turn table soon to follow, hopefully!); it makes pretty good wall-art right now!

Hemispheres + Permanent Waves + Moving Pictures = 30

Three "10" albums in a row. It is why I started listening in the first place. Hemispheres is a prog rock masterpiece and I am glad that once they hit that height that they started to try different things. If they had kept on with the side long epics it would have gotten boring.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Apr 26 2012, 10:32 AM)

A 10 for sure. Wish they'd play Book II, even an abbreviated version, I would be happy with sad.gif

goodpost.gif

Here's to hoping they bring it out for this tour. trink39.gif

A 10 from me as well. Thus concludes my series of perfect 10 Rush albums (starting with Power Windows).

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 26 2012, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Apr 26 2012, 10:32 AM)

A 10 for sure.  Wish they'd play Book II, even an abbreviated version, I would be happy with  sad.gif

goodpost.gif

Here's to hoping they bring it out for this tour. trink39.gif

This is my dream. I think I'd actually weep.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 25 2012, 06:33 PM)
Ok, here goes:

The Great

The trees
La Villa
Circumstances

The Good

Hemispheres

The First 2 songs are definitely great. Circumstances is very good and bordering on great. Depending on the mood I am in it might rate as "good" and not "great". However I am in generous mood tonight and will push it into the great group tonight

The problem (if you want to call it that) with the album is the title track. Don't take me wrong, its a good song but (IMO) it definitely is not close to being a contender for "great". This pulls the album down from a 10 to a 9. In fact, I would say that it really is an 8+ with enough of a plus to push it to a 9. Definitely several Rush albums I think are better (MP, PeW, HYF, PW, 2112, AFTK, possibly FBN - got to think about that).

Like this album a lot, just not as much as most of the folks here.

Musically, I think this is amazing from start to finish. But Geddy's approach to vocals on this album and Kings is not my favprite. The storyline of Cygnus II isn't my favorite, either.

Side 2 is a solid 9+ for me. Incredible music. Overall I gave this an 8.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Apr 25 2012, 07:02 PM)

The whole first side is just meh. Musically it's repetitive, and considering it's 20 minutes long, it could do so much more. The concept is silly. Guy flies into a blackhole and comes out the other side as a Greek God. And the underlying message is the same thing as the "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" commercials, and those got the point across in 30 seconds! Just silly. It's one credit is how tight the band sounds on this track. It may be repetitive, but it is complex.

Circumstances is good. Musically it moves with tempo and dynamic changes. The lyrics are concise and carry a message. This song works.

The Trees is a good parable, and works in the same execution as Circumstances.

La Villa Strangiato is musically brilliant. Just absolutely brilliant as music. But there's no weight to it. It doesn't mean anything. It's just an assemblage of AMAZING musical passages. But it's jsut the sum of it's parts.

So, this album is a 6 in my book. Most of you won't like that, but ask the lot in SOCN, that never stops me from spewing my perspective tongue.gif

I wouldn't rate it as low as you, because I think the music is that strong. But I don't disagree with your evaluation of Cygnus II's concept or the fact the LaVilla is kind of a random collection of jams (some of them borrowed).

Still, I think the performances take it much higher than a 6.

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 25 2012, 09:37 PM)
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/alifeson85/hemfail.jpg
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj630/sao106/facepalm.jpg facepalm.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 25 2012, 08:06 PM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ Apr 25 2012, 07:02 PM)

The whole first side is just meh. Musically it's repetitive, and considering it's 20 minutes long, it could do so much more. The concept is silly. Guy flies into a blackhole and comes out the other side as a Greek God. And the underlying message is the same thing as the "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" commercials, and those got the point across in 30 seconds! Just silly. It's one credit is how tight the band sounds on this track. It may be repetitive, but it is complex.

Circumstances is good. Musically it moves with tempo and dynamic changes. The lyrics are concise and carry a message. This song works.

The Trees is a good parable, and works in the same execution as Circumstances.

La Villa Strangiato is musically brilliant. Just absolutely brilliant as music. But there's no weight to it. It doesn't mean anything. It's just an assemblage of AMAZING musical passages. But it's jsut the sum of it's parts.

So, this album is a 6 in my book. Most of you won't like that, but ask the lot in SOCN, that never stops me from spewing my perspective tongue.gif

goodpost.gif

I for one don't have any problem with your post. Its well written and to the point. Its not Rush worship and its honest. You had the courage to take an unpopular position and, rather than just voting and leaving, you explained your self.

As one who likes the album more than you but clearly less than many on TRF, I greatly respect you for taking an unpopular position and explaining it.

trink39.gif

Except his assertion "... the underlying message is the same thing as the "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" commercials, and those got the point across in 30 seconds!" is ridiculous. Completely different messages.