Is Rush the most talented band?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Rush the best? (98 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Rush the best?

1. Yes (57 votes [57.58%])

Percentage of vote: 57.58%

2. No (42 votes [42.42%])

Percentage of vote: 42.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 13377 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 17 August 2020 - 09:43 AM

View PostTexas King, on 17 August 2020 - 08:17 AM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 16 August 2020 - 11:27 PM, said:

View PostNew_World_Man, on 16 August 2020 - 11:21 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 16 August 2020 - 11:19 PM, said:

View PostNew_World_Man, on 16 August 2020 - 08:40 PM, said:

View PostTexas King, on 12 August 2020 - 12:12 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 12 August 2020 - 10:09 AM, said:

A big old yes from me. World's best drummer and best bassist complimented by the world's most underrated guitarist, not to mention as a songwriting team they can best just about anyone who wasn't a Beatle. I'm sorry DT, KC, RTF.... close but no cigar.

Who is RTF? I suppose KC is King Crimson?

I have to disagree with your statement that Peart is the best drummer ever because they are/were a few jazz guys who could easily beat him anytime, Buddy Rich being the most notable of them. Also it's debatable whether Geddy is the best bassist, because The Ox (and Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Les Claypool, Chris Squire) exists.
And how can you be sure Rush are superior/more talented musicians than e.g. Yes (such a strong quartet Howe + Wakeman + Bruford + Squire)?

I didn't read the entire thread but RTF is probably Return to Forever who were a jazz fusion band from the 70's. They reappeared in the 2000's which is when I saw them live. Great band. Yeah, KC is probably King Crimson and were also great musicians. To this list I would add Mahavishnu Orchestra. I don't think there has ever been any better musicians than them(like RTF also jazz fusion)but that's just my opinion. I'm a huge Yes fan and for a long time they were my favorite band. Comparing them to Rush isn't really fair but if I had to choose I think at their peak Yes were slightly better musicians. When Bill Bruford left they became slightly less good because Alan White wasn't as good as Bill Bruford but they still made some great music. Gentle Giant were another band who had top notch musicians but I doubt many people on this page reading this have any idea who they were. They were another underrated prog rock band from the seventies. After King crimson they are the most well known(or one of them at least)of the lesser knowns.

Gentle Giant are well known to my ears! :)

Well, a lot of prog rock fans are Rush fans but not all Rush fans are big prog fans. ;)

It took me a while to find out there was more to prog than Rush, Yes, and Floyd, and a while longer to actually give it a try...but man am I neck deep in it now. Ngl I've actually only heard three GG albums but all three are phenomenal and I've been looking to get my next one for a while. I have Octopus, In A Glass House, and The Power And The Glory.

Those GG albums are very good.
Have you listened Camel and Van Der Graaf Generator? Albums by both bands have the high positions on this list:
http://www.progarchi...prog-albums.asp

Check them out.

I’ve heard one album each from them. Both are solid. I’m well acquainted with the Prog Archives list, btw.

Sponsored Post

#62 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3946 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 12:00 PM

View PostGood,bad,andrush, on 24 April 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

By far, the answer is a definite no. What they do is insane, but in terms of raw talent, as in playing very difficult things, hell no. However, try and find that much talent in one band, that's a problem, and with only three guys.

Thing is though, so many jazz-fusion, math rock, prog bands, and tech/extreme metal have musicians that are simply better. They play faster, more complex, etc. it's the truth.
So faster is better?

#63 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 11667 posts
  • Interests:Living things

Objects

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:28 PM

Depends what you mean by "talent"

For example who is more talented?

Bob Dylan or the session guitarist who can shred any style he hires for live performances?

I think the answer is obvious myself.....

#64 BigMontanaSKY

BigMontanaSKY

The Seeker

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Transportation industry, cars (collectible) US politics, guitar playing, health, leatherworking, winter sports, Rottweilers, and shoes.

Posted 19 August 2020 - 09:16 PM

Just my opinion...yes.....

#65 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3946 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:32 PM

View PostFridge, on 19 August 2020 - 03:28 PM, said:

Bob Dylan or the session guitarist who can shred any style he hires for live performances?

How many others wrote lyrics and music like Dylan?  How many guitarists can shred any style?  Answer is very obvious.

#66 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 11667 posts
  • Interests:Living things

Objects

Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:52 PM

View PostMithrandir, on 20 August 2020 - 01:32 PM, said:

How many others wrote lyrics and music like Dylan?  How many guitarists can shred any style?  Answer is very obvious.

So obvious you didn't need to quote me ;)

#67 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 99546 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 03:27 PM

View PostFridge, on 20 August 2020 - 01:52 PM, said:

Who's the most talented fist fighter between you two?

Fridge who writes lyrics about adventures on the cobbles or Mithrandir who can scrap in any style?

I think the answer is obvious myself...

And don't quote me ;)

#68 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 39738 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 08:44 PM

View PostFountainOfSyrinx, on 24 April 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

Disregard personal interests on how the music SOUNDS. I'm talking about pure talent. Does the Holy Triumvirate reign?   Posted Image

Yes.

#69 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 99546 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 11:05 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 20 August 2020 - 08:44 PM, said:

View PostFountainOfSyrinx, on 24 April 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

Disregard personal interests on how the music SOUNDS. I'm talking about pure talent. Does the Holy Triumvirate reign?   Posted Image

Yes.
Earl is the most talented Earl I've ever come across.

#70 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81898 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 21 August 2020 - 09:38 PM

View PostTexas King, on 17 August 2020 - 08:08 AM, said:

A big old yes from me. World's best drummer and best bassist complimented by the world's most underrated guitarist, not to mention as a songwriting team they can best just about anyone who wasn't a Beatle. I'm sorry DT, KC, RTF.... close but no cigar.

I have to disagree with your statement that Peart is the best drummer ever because they are/were a few jazz guys who could easily beat him anytime, Buddy Rich being the most notable of them. Also it's debatable whether Geddy is the best bassist, because The Ox (and Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Les Claypool, Chris Squire) exists.
And how can you be sure Rush are superior/more talented musicians than e.g. Yes (such a strong quartet Howe + Wakeman + Bruford + Squire)?

I didn't read the entire thread but RTF is probably Return to Forever who were a jazz fusion band from the 70's. They reappeared in the 2000's which is when I saw them live. Great band. Yeah, KC is probably King Crimson and were also great musicians. To this list I would add Mahavishnu Orchestra. I don't think there has ever been any better musicians than them(like RTF also jazz fusion)but that's just my opinion. I'm a huge Yes fan and for a long time they were my favorite band. Comparing them to Rush isn't really fair but if I had to choose I think at their peak Yes were slightly better musicians. When Bill Bruford left they became slightly less good because Alan White wasn't as good as Bill Bruford but they still made some great music. Gentle Giant were another band who had top notch musicians but I doubt many people on this page reading this have any idea who they were. They were another underrated prog rock band from the seventies. After King crimson they are the most well known(or one of them at least)of the lesser knowns.

Well, a lot of prog rock fans are Rush fans but not all Rush fans are big prog fans. ;)

That's true.
It's interesting there is a big overlap between Rush and Van Halen fans. That's really surprising to me, because Rush and VH are vastly different styles of rock music.
both have great musicianship

#71 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1235 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 06:54 AM

View Posttreeduck, on 20 August 2020 - 03:27 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 20 August 2020 - 01:52 PM, said:

Who's the most talented fist fighter between you two?

Fridge who writes lyrics about adventures on the cobbles or Mithrandir who can scrap in any style?

I think the answer is obvious myself...

And don't quote me ;)

Ok

But the answer to this poll is more obvious.

:)

#72 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1235 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 07:00 AM

View Postgoose, on 21 August 2020 - 09:38 PM, said:

That's true.
It's interesting there is a big overlap between Rush and Van Halen fans. That's really surprising to me, because Rush and VH are vastly different styles of rock music.
There's that, but I always recall the debate in the 80s (thanks to Guitar Player Magazine's yearly polls), who was better Alex or Eddie?

I used to listen to Eddie because of his tone, and monster riffs, but his finger tapping was wankery at best...Alex because of his overall ability in writing, unique solos and master riffing.

And the answer is obvious  ;)

Edited by Planet X-1, 22 August 2020 - 07:00 AM.

#73 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 41131 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 09:00 AM

Fook yeah!

#74 Weatherman

Weatherman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:writing, travel, guitar, long balks on the weach

Posted 22 August 2020 - 03:01 PM

View PostPlanet X-1, on 22 August 2020 - 07:00 AM, said:

There's that, but I always recall the debate in the 80s (thanks to Guitar Player Magazine's yearly polls), who was better Alex or Eddie?

I used to listen to Eddie because of his tone, and monster riffs, but his finger tapping was wankery at best...Alex because of his overall ability in writing, unique solos and master riffing.

Unpopular answer but I think Eddie was better than almost everybody on earth. Too bad he's a wanker who spent his career in a wanker band.
They had a few years of maturity with Sammy. That was my favorite VH era. I go back to those songs sometimes, both for Sammy's voice and for Eddie's rhythm work. Mannnn was he powerful.

This is from 2015. Check out 6:45 onwards, where Eddie's classical training really shines:
https://www.youtube....h?v=YbsYc3UNdZ4

#75 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 13377 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 22 August 2020 - 04:38 PM

View PostWeatherman, on 22 August 2020 - 03:01 PM, said:

View PostPlanet X-1, on 22 August 2020 - 07:00 AM, said:

Unpopular answer but I think Eddie was better than almost everybody on earth. Too bad he's a wanker who spent his career in a wanker band.
They had a few years of maturity with Sammy. That was my favorite VH era. I go back to those songs sometimes, both for Sammy's voice and for Eddie's rhythm work. Mannnn was he powerful.

This is from 2015. Check out 6:45 onwards, where Eddie's classical training really shines:
https://www.youtube....h?v=YbsYc3UNdZ4

Since when is it unpopular to think EVH is the greatest guitarist of all time? Lol. That is a perfectly normal and understandable opinion to have I think. He would certainly make my top ten, not because he's always been a firm favorite of mine, but because my top ten would be a sham without him.

#76 staunchally

staunchally

The Seeker

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Psychology, Mountain Climbing, Horseback Riding.

Posted 04 September 2020 - 10:21 PM

View PostMithrandir, on 19 August 2020 - 12:00 PM, said:

View PostGood,bad,andrush, on 24 April 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

By far, the answer is a definite no. What they do is insane, but in terms of raw talent, as in playing very difficult things, hell no. However, try and find that much talent in one band, that's a problem, and with only three guys.

Thing is though, so many jazz-fusion, math rock, prog bands, and tech/extreme metal have musicians that are simply better. They play faster, more complex, etc. it's the truth.
So faster is better?

When discussing talent, it ought to be considered, as well as complexity in general.
Saying "Feeling only matters, technique doesn't mean anything to me" is irrelevant to the discussion and only reveals a personal bias.
I voted "No" for the above reasons, even though I personally enjoy Rush more than RTF, KC etc.

#77 staunchally

staunchally

The Seeker

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Psychology, Mountain Climbing, Horseback Riding.

Posted 04 September 2020 - 10:27 PM

The session guitarist. :P

#78 Texas King

Texas King

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2714 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 08:36 AM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 16 August 2020 - 11:18 PM, said:

as performers their unmatched live reputation precedes them for good reason

Are you sure that Rush are unmatched as a live act by any other band?

#79 Texas King

Texas King

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2714 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 08:42 AM

View Postgoose, on 21 August 2020 - 09:38 PM, said:

That's true.

Only from the guitar aspect Van Halen's musicianship is exceptional. Bass and drums in Van Halen music are not exceptional as it's the case with Rush.

Edited by Texas King, 14 August 2021 - 10:36 AM.

#80 Texas King

Texas King

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2714 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 09:19 AM

http://www.thetopten...talented-bands/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users