Is Rush the most talented band?

FountainOfSyrinx

Is Rush the best?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Is Rush the best?

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 24 2012, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 24 2012, 01:27 PM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ Apr 24 2012, 12:24 PM)
Talent to me just means raw playing ability. In that case no, not even close. Even out of their era, they weren't technically the best.

If you want technical talent, go play some King Crimson, Mars Volta or Dream Theater.

But Rush I think is the best at fitting creative ideas into a listenable format. I think Rush wants less to do with "showing off" and more to do with "reaching audiences," which I immensely respect.

And Neil could potentially be the best lyricist in rock. But in raw terms of talent and skill, no, they're not even close.

goodpost.gif

What they lack in raw talent, they make up for it in terms of Chemistry.... which makes them that more enjoyable for me - especially live.

Exactly...to me, their chemistry is unmatched. 1022.gif

Yes, Remember they do with 3 what others take 5!

yes.gif

On pure talent alone, for three guys? Yes. I can't see how anyone could think differently. Bias is a strong element for me here but I'm trying my best to be 100% objective and I can honestly say I've never heard another band do some of the things I've heard Rush do. They are talented on a level that most musicians never glimpse, let alone dwell in for forty years.

Before anyone throws me into the fanboy fire let me ask you this: how many other bassists, drummers or guitar players are playing like these guys at their age?

I voted "yes" because of their additive talents.

1 great instrumentalist

2 compelling and intelligent lyrics

3 Their talent for sonic exploration while maintaining such a strong musical identity

4. live show performance ability

Who else could beat them in all of these categories? Sure, there are better artists then Rush in any one category, or for or two albums.

But to do it all, and to keep so many people interested in them for so many years?

Rush are probably the most technically proficient of the bands you hear on the radio in a particular day. But there are plenty of musicians with "better" chops. Mangini/Petrucci/Myung of Dream Theater are technically superior to Lee/Lifeson/Peart at their own instruments, but they lack Rush's consistency and succinctness as songwriters.

The only "trio" I can think of that is more technical than Rush is Primus - and they're lacking in the guitar department in terms of pure chops, as LaLonde is more avant garde than technical. Mid-70s King Crimson came close. Planet X would count as well, but they have to bring a bassist on tour. ELP are also close; Palmer and Peart are roughly equal, but Lee has an edge over Lake. Emerson is, of course, the wild card.

Chemistry and songwriting? Rush are undeniably top tier.

Edited by Deckiller

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 24 2012, 08:44 AM)
As a 3 piece unit they are probably the most balanced and adept at what they do but individually there are more "talented" on each instrument.

Probably there's not a band which components are better than Rush ones, while maybe there are single players better than the Three... wink.gif

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Apr 25 2012, 08:43 PM)
Before anyone throws me into the fanboy fire let me ask you this: how many other bassists, drummers or guitar players are playing like these guys at their age?

Don't worry about the ones who throw the fanboi epithet around like confetti. Most of them are just envious of the Boyz and jealous that they don't have fans as passionate. wink.gif

Influencial they've got to be way up there but honestly I can't rate them as the most talented band as far as technical prowess goes.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 25 2012, 03:31 AM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 24 2012, 06:44 AM)
Thats not really a balanced question IMO.

As a 3 piece unit they are probably the most balanced and adept at what they do but individually there are more "talented" on each instrument.

The problem comes in that those with more "talent" are most likely influenced in some way by the members of RUSH.

While Neil is my FAVORITE drummer he is by no means the most talented anymore.. however it's easy to argue he is the most influential drummer in rock history.  Look at any of the top drummers out there, a vast majority of them will cite Neil as being a (or THE) reason they picked up the sticks.

Same goes for Geddy and Alex. Both favorites of mine in their respective roles but there are more technically talented musicians out there. But again, many of those "talented" musicians will likely cite Geddy or Alex as an influence, at least to some degree.
(and even if they dont cite Geddy or Alex they will cite people like John Myung, John Petrucci etc who were very largely influenced by RUSH).

I think RUSH are a rare breed of masters of their craft within the music industry. Both in writing and performing. However, I dont think individually any of them would get nearly the notoriety they do as a unit.

Are they my favorite? Yup.
And at the end of the day thats all that matters, eh?

goodpost.gif

The Beatles had something magical with the four of them, something that was impossible for them to capture as solo artists, even though they did occasionally scale those same heights, but for the most part it was that unique combination of musicians that allowed them to be as brilliant as they were. And the members of The Beatles were nowhere near as talented as the members of Rush, at least in terms of the playing of the individual instruments they play. In terms of being masters of songwriting and melody, that's a different matter.

So are they each the most talented at their given instruments? Perhaps not, but each are masters at them. In the end, it's the magical combination of what the three of them do as a unit that makes them among the most talented.

I concur......well said!

A big old yes from me. World's best drummer and best bassist complimented by the world's most underrated guitarist, not to mention as a songwriting team they can best just about anyone who wasn't a Beatle. I'm sorry DT, KC, RTF.... close but no cigar.

Neil, is one of the most talented drummers out there, Geddy is up there with the most talented bassists. I think Alex is more so known for his creativity and accenting riffs than for his skills/talent although his skillset is very diverse. So no, Rush is not #1, but Top 5 at least.

A big old yes from me. World's best drummer and best bassist complimented by the world's most underrated guitarist, not to mention as a songwriting team they can best just about anyone who wasn't a Beatle. I'm sorry DT, KC, RTF.... close but no cigar.

Who is RTF? I suppose KC is King Crimson?

I have to disagree with your statement that Peart is the best drummer ever because they are/were a few jazz guys who could easily beat him anytime, Buddy Rich being the most notable of them. Also it's debatable whether Geddy is the best bassist, because The Ox (and Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Les Claypool, Chris Squire) exists.

And how can you be sure Rush are superior/more talented musicians than e.g. Yes (such a strong quartet Howe + Wakeman + Bruford + Squire)?

• Like 1

I have to disagree with your statement that Peart is the best drummer ever because they are/were a few jazz guys who could easily beat him anytime, Buddy Rich being the most notable of them. Also it's debatable whether Geddy is the best bassist, because The Ox (and Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Les Claypool, Chris Squire) exists.

And how can you be sure Rush are superior/more talented musicians than e.g. Yes (such a strong quartet Howe + Wakeman + Bruford + Squire)?

return to forever

rush are very talented but more importantly wrote great songs.definitely IMO in the best discussion as the best for their time. as usual the next generation took it to the next level.

in terms of sheer talent and music i still really like a fave of mine is liquid tension experiment.

to me rushs great weakness was their inability or unwillingness to let it hang out when playing live. real masters IMO can improvise and are unafraid to do so.

• Like 2

to me rushs great weakness was their inability or unwillingness to let it hang out when playing live. real masters IMO can improvise and are unafraid to do so.

I don't think J.S. Bach was known for his improvisational ability, and he was as masterful as it gets.

It's just a different skill, not a weakness. Many, many groups -- Rush, U2 -- reach the heights of music with little to no improvisational ability.

• Like 1

I don't think J.S. Bach was known for his improvisational ability, and he was as masterful as it gets.

It's just a different skill, not a weakness. Many, many groups -- Rush, U2 -- reach the heights of music with little to no improvisational ability.

notice i also said unwillingness. to me that is more likely than lack of ability. they ran a tight show and invested heavily in stage effects so i think they took a more calculated route to appease their fans. its worked apparently. perhaps they thought neils solo was the all the jam they needed.

the best extended improv jam that i can think of by members of rush is the lifeson/peart/sheehan soundcheck . ged was running late so billy sat in. worth a listen imo.

In response to everyone here who says no, I say yes. The sound and music produced by Rush has been surpassed by no one. EVER. Sure there are other bands that are also very talented but I think ignoring what made Rush so great and just writing them off as "not as good" undermines what made them great as musicians and masters of their craft. How many of the great rock bands of the 1970's and 1980's were as active and produced just as much music as Rush? Not very many. A handful at best. The Rolling Stones, The Eagles, Van Halen, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden. That's all I can think of. Except for the Rolling Stones Rush was active for just as long if not longer than all of these bands.
  • Like 1

Buddy Rich was talented, he was Neil's favorite drummer, but I think Neil would have smoked Buddy in a drum off given the chance. After all, Neil learned from the best. Yes was a super talented band, and Rush learned from their craft and perfected it to what it became.

Edited by TheGhostRider
  • Like 1

I don't think there were many drummers better than Neil. Maybe Buddy Rich and maybe one or two others. For bass players Geddy is up there but I think there's a few who are as good if not better. The same thing with Alex as a guitarist. He was never really a shredder virtuoso type but he's very tasteful and has some great solos and riffing. So to me they are great but I think there were technically better musicians out there. However, no three guys could do what Rush did the way they did it and never will.

I didn't read the entire thread but RTF is probably Return to Forever who were a jazz fusion band from the 70's. They reappeared in the 2000's which is when I saw them live. Great band. Yeah, KC is probably King Crimson and were also great musicians. To this list I would add Mahavishnu Orchestra. I don't think there has ever been any better musicians than them(like RTF also jazz fusion)but that's just my opinion. I'm a huge Yes fan and for a long time they were my favorite band. Comparing them to Rush isn't really fair but if I had to choose I think at their peak Yes were slightly better musicians. When Bill Bruford left they became slightly less good because Alan White wasn't as good as Bill Bruford but they still made some great music. Gentle Giant were another band who had top notch musicians but I doubt many people on this page reading this have any idea who they were. They were another underrated prog rock band from the seventies. After King crimson they are the most well known(or one of them at least)of the lesser knowns.