Rate Moving Pictures

Gompers

How do you rate Moving Pictures?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Moving Pictures?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 20 2012, 07:36 AM)
Moving Pictures. Some would say this is the quintessential Rush album, but we are talking about Rush. There is no one album that defines them. Even though MP is the best selling album for the band, longtime fans might not agree that this is their best. I am one of those. No doubt it is a great album, and it came out my graduation year from High School, so one might be inclined to think I have ultimate allegiance to it. Not so much, but it does hold a special place in my heart for sentimental reasons. It does have one of my all time favorite Rush tunes on it though...The Camera Eye. Sadly, I was never a big fan of Limelight though and I think it is the weakest on this release.

I absolutely love Ged's bass sound on this album. I also believe Neil's drums sounded best on this release and the drums he used were the Tamas! Actually, MP was a production win for Broonsy too!

The Great
-Tom Sawyer (even if it is played to death)
-Red Barchetta
-YYZ
-The Camera Eye
-Witch Hunt (Part III of Fear)

The Good
-Limelight
-Vital Signs

I give this a 9.5, but round it to 10.

Really? I surprised you got a few voting 9!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 20 2012, 11:00 AM)
Also, anyone voting less than a 10...

Explain Yourselves! 1287.gif

Okay. Witch Hunt is boring as hell and Tom Sawyer is overrated. I knocked off a point for each. I probably could have given it a 9, but I'm in a mood tonight.

You asked.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 21 2012, 12:16 AM)

Explain Yourselves!  1287.gif

Okay. Witch Hunt is boring as hell and Tom Sawyer is overrated. I knocked off a point for each. I probably could have given it a 9, but I'm in a mood tonight.

You asked.

I did...but now, I'll respond with this: cool10.gif

wink.gif

Absolute perfection. The definition of a 10. wub.gif yes.gif

what more can be added? Great album all the way through, and I discovered it after signals. 10. The Geddy Choirs and brickwalled guitars are still a long ways off at this point)). HOnestly, who could be a fan of RUSH and vote this a 1? LOL Edited by Steely Caress

I have listened to this album so many times over the last 30 years that I could not begin to guess what the number might be. Each time I listen to it, not only does it never get old, I hear something from a different perspective. That is a mark of a fantastic record.

For this alone I give it a 10. There are many other reasons for giving it a 10 as well.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 20 2012, 11:16 PM)

Explain Yourselves!  1287.gif

You asked.

I can understand being in a mood, but Witch Hunt boring as hell? I must respectfully disagree.

9. My fourth or fifth place album. I didn't give it a 10 because I'm not as crazy about Red Barchetta or YYZ as I am the others. "Changes aren't permanent, but change is" from TS are some of my favorite lyrics. I remember watching the Limelight video on MTV, which was the first time I saw what Rush looked like. I thought Geddy looked as sweet as his voice sounded wub.gif I was a Geddycorn in the making; just wish it hadn't taken so long! The Camera Eye has some of his most gorgeous and powerful vocals. Witch Hunt is my favorite on the album - so powerful, and again, an incredible showcase of Geddy's voice and the emotion it can convey. It's cool to hear the deeper side of his range on this one. Vital Signs is just cool, and that bass...also love the intentional "evelate" wink.gif

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 21 2012, 03:22 PM)
Who the hell gave this album a 1? Thats just ridiculous!

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 21 2012, 03:27 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 21 2012, 03:22 PM)
Who the hell gave this album a 1?  Thats just ridiculous!

goodpost.gif

yes.gif

I ranked as a 9 and had the balls to give a length explanation as to why I was doing that.

I would like to see the 2 folks who voted it to be a 1 to have the guts to come out and explain themselves.

I for one might disagree with them but have no problems with them voting a 1 for this album. Just explain why. Those votes are sooo strange.

Also, my explanation for reasonably lengthy. I would hope that two "1" could provide an explanation that is at least as lengthy (if not longer).

To me, an 8, 9 or 10 is no big deal and really should not require a lengthy explanation. Any one of those scores still indicates that its a very good album. But a 1? Your slamming the album. Yes, please don't hide. Explain.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 21 2012, 07:40 PM)
I suspect they were doing it for shock value or just to play around. I certainly understand scoring it lower than 10, but I can't fathom any Rush fan seriously scoring it a 1.

Wait a minute... hasn't Trenken said he hated Moving Pictures?

EDIT: Or was that the short-lived Can-Utility

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

ANOTHER 1 vote for MP? ohmy.gif angry.gif

Out and show yerselves ye scurvy basterds! 1287.gif

Edited by CrossedSignals