Rate Moving Pictures

Gompers

How do you rate Moving Pictures?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Moving Pictures?

Moving Pictures. Some would say this is the quintessential Rush album, but we are talking about Rush. There is no one album that defines them. Even though MP is the best selling album for the band, longtime fans might not agree that this is their best. I am one of those. No doubt it is a great album, and it came out my graduation year from High School, so one might be inclined to think I have ultimate allegiance to it. Not so much, but it does hold a special place in my heart for sentimental reasons. It does have one of my all time favorite Rush tunes on it though...The Camera Eye. Sadly, I was never a big fan of Limelight though and I think it is the weakest on this release.

I absolutely love Ged's bass sound on this album. I also believe Neil's drums sounded best on this release and the drums he used were the Tamas! Actually, MP was a production win for Broonsy too!

The Great

-Tom Sawyer (even if it is played to death)

-Red Barchetta

-YYZ

-The Camera Eye

-Witch Hunt (Part III of Fear)

The Good

-Limelight

-Vital Signs

I give this a 9.5, but round it to 10.

A masterpiece. Perfect in every way

Rush's perfect album. Three of the first four tracks rank among my ten favorite Rush tunes; the other is one of the greatest instrumentals I've ever heard. Eerie Witch Hunt is a sentimental favorite, a song that played an important role in me becoming a fan of the band in the first place. Vital Signs is one of my favorite Rush songs lyrically, while The Camera Eye is a tremendous success atmospherically.

This is such a special record. Nothing less than a 10 would do for it.

This will always hold a special place in my heart. It was my 'discovery' album. I'll never forget hearing that opening drum beat of Tom Sawyer.... and then Geddy's caterwaul ripping through my headphones! ohmy.gif I was completely captivated by this album.... I had never heard anything like it before, and it's still one of my favorites.

10, obviously.

Man this post is going to make me real popular!! Here goes:

The Great:

Limelight

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

The Good:

The Camera Eye

Vital Signs

Witch Hunt

The Ok:

YYZ

You are probably thinking that I am on drugs. Let me explain.

Limelight & TS are just both top 10 songs for me. They are just wonderful. Red Bsrchetta I love also. Great song that I think is underrated (if that makes sense).

The 3 songs I ranked as good were songs that never really clicked with me until the TMT. Before seeing that tour I sat down and read the lyrics to all of MP. Esp. these 3. Did not so much as listen to the songs as read the lyrics and thought about them. Then went back and listened to the album. For some reason, at that point the songs shot WAY up. All 3 are in the good, bordering on great grouping. Interestingly, seeing Rush play them live, did not really do anything more to push them up (although I enjoyed them live a great deal). Really like them a lot.

Then their is YYZ. Sigh. This is the dud of the album. Or rather I should say that their is a 10 second stretch (roughly) in the song that ruins it for me. Sadly it is near the very beginning and that just damages the entire song. Badly. Its not the initial work by Neil. Thats ok. Its the echo back from the group which comes next and which sounds / feels like a machine gun to me. Just turns me off to the song. Big time. After that the song is good but nothing great (or close to great) to my ears. This is actually a song that has gone down in my rankings the more I have listed to it, which is very, very rare for a Rush song to do. Rush songs almost always grow on me. Once upon a time I would have ranked this song as "good" but now its only "ok" and, sadly, it continues to slide. Wish that was not the case but it is. Perhaps its just that I have listened to the song to many times. Maybe thats it, but truth is I never really cared for that part of the song. Sigh.

Overall, despite the one dud (to my ears anyway!!) I really like this album. Its just tremendous. Its a solid 9+ but the damage YYZ does to it prevents it from going over 9.5 and hence becoming a 10. Gave it a very sold 9.

The request was made for anybody voting less than 10 to explain themselves. You may not like it (or agree!!) but I tried to comply.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 20 2012, 05:15 PM)
Then their is YYZ. Sigh. This is the dud of the album. Or rather I should say that their is a 10 second stretch (roughly) in the song that ruins it for me. Sadly it is near the very beginning and that just damages the entire song. Badly. Its not the initial work by Neil. Thats ok. Its the echo back from the group which comes next and which sounds / feels like a machine gun to me.

I know what you mean; it reminds me, too, of a machine gun, and I can understand why someone wouldn't like it. I'm okay with it, but it's probably my least favorite part of the track. The stretch I love is the exotic guitar solo along with the grand synth part that follows it. For me, that's where a very good tune becomes great.

There is very little left to say about Moving Pictures. The music and lyrics are a nearly perfect combination. It sounds awesome. The mood of the album is just utterly cool. I felt so sophisticated just listening to it when it was new. These days it is like an old friend I'm always happy to see.

• Like 1

Solid 10.

The Good

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

The OK

Tom Sawyer (YES - I said it. Classic song, no doubt, but waaaaaaaay overplayed. So, yeah...and, um... bolt.gif

I usually don't give albums 10s...but I'm making this one an exception. Even though it isn't my personal favorite album, I think it's their most important album they've done and I can't deny that. This is definitely the album that all other Rush albums are judged by IMO.

It meant a lot to me when they played this live in its entirety on the last tour because not only was it my first Rush shows (once in 2010 and again last year), but I knew I may never get the chance to see them do something like that ever again. Despite not being my favorite album, it's still near the top of my list of favorite Rush albums.