OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 10:08 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 18 2012, 12:06 PM)
I knew it would leak!!! WOO HOO!!!

AWESOME song. Love it.

This is not a leak, this is orchestrated release marketing.

ROLLING F**KING STONE of all unlikely places?! Wow.

common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

Nitpicker tongue.gif

We didn't have to wait until the officially listed release date biggrin.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 18 2012, 12:11 PM)
I merged this and Godeater's threads. They were both posted at pretty much the exact same time -- just so happens that Gangster survives as the thread starter.

This is the full song, too, not the radio edit!

Huge kudos to Gangsta for being able to type under so much brain breaking pressure... true GuP indeed!

I am so floored by this surpise I didn't notice it's the full version until you guys mentioned it. Like 3 times...

Happy times on TRF!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2012, 11:11 AM)
VERY FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

1. The sound quality is horrible - I'm assuming this is because it's a compressed file on the Rolling Stone site and that it will sound much cleaner/clearer on the CD. The lyrics are VERY hard to make out.

2. VERY F*CKING HEAVY - definitely a continuation of the sound they started on CP and especially on T4E - not crazy about how relentlessly heavy it has to be.

3. Otherwise sounds pretty damn cool. For awhile I was afraid there would be no real guitar solo, just repeating of the main riff(s), but thankfully there was one in there - not the best Alex solo in the multiverse, but still really cool, and the instrumentation sounds great even with the muddiness of this version. I at least really like it, and I could grow to love it, especially when I can hear it clearer and discern the lyrics!

I too am concerned about the sound. But I'm guessing this is just an ultra-compressed file.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Apr 18 2012, 11:14 AM)
Love it already. It rocks, and in a good way. Can't wait to hear the rest of the record. cool.gif

Fo sho! Love the "airship flight intro" sounds, and I think I'm going to really dig the album long journey of all the songs together.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Apr 18 2012, 10:13 AM)
Listening for the second time. I am getting a classic Rush vibe from this. It might not be By-Tor, but Alex's solo and Geddy's sustained wails evoke classic Rush to my ears.

No doubt, my comment wasn't meant as negative at all, this kicks ass. Just that as I assumed all along the people who expected this to sound anything like 1974-1977 were going to be disappointed. It's heavy and it rocks but I would never describe this as sounding like "old Rush". I'm going to have to listen a bunch more to take it all in. And yeah, again, I really think (and hope) that the sound is overly compressed here on their clip because it's really muddy to me.

Alex and I assembled the song to be an instrumental and its original title was 'Take That Lampshade Off Yo Head!," but once we saw the lyrics Neil [Peart] had written, I knew that the spirit of the lyrics matched the instrumental perfectly and it was just a matter of making them fit and writing the melodies."

laugh.gif Take That Lampshade Off Yo Head!

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 09:16 AM)
Listening for the second time. I am getting a classic Rush vibe from this. It might not be By-Tor, but Alex's solo and Geddy's sustained wails evoke classic Rush to my ears.

No doubt, my comment wasn't meant as negative at all, this kicks ass. Just that as I assumed all along the people who expected this to sound anything like 1974-1977 were going to be disappointed. It's heavy and it rocks but I would never describe this as sounding like "old Rush". I'm going to have to listen a bunch more to take it all in. And yeah, again, I really think (and hope) that the sound is overly compressed here on their clip because it's really muddy to me.

It doesn't have the spaciousness and subtlety of a classic 70's track, and as I suspected, just because it's 7-plus minutes doesn't make it an EPIC track, at least in terms of an epic progressive rock song with distinct sections and huge changes - it's more of an extended song as they've done in recent years, although still it's quite cool.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2012, 10:17 AM)
As usual, the 30 second clip really doesn't say much about the song at all - I think we drool over these 30-second previews only because they're often all we have at first, but they remarkably say very little about an entire song.

I was just thinking the same thing. It's not evocative of Bastille Day at all to me, and that's what everyone seemed to latch onto.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 11:16 AM)

I agree completely. I wouldn't tell someone it sounds like 70s Rush. But I think it contains some of those classic elements merged with Counterparts-S&A Rush, as Goober sort of pointed out.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 09:10 AM)
And I'll be the first to say it, just as I expected there's nothing "Bytor-ish" about it unless you want to count the drum fill.

actually Alex's wah wah solo does sound a little Bytor-ish. but that's where the similarities end.