OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 22 2012, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Apr 22 2012, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 21 2012, 04:11 PM)
After a few more listens, I'll be honest this song isn't really doing it for me. The slow chorus doesn't flow too well, and the vocal lines don't stand out much at all throughout the song....the solo is good, and their are some cool bass and drum moments....

I am shocked dude...you're usually really positive and have nothing but good things to say about Rush

It's his nature to naturally be a cynical curmudgeon. wink.gif

As in nature do you mean residing in Great Britain? I don't even know that to be true but that's what I would guess. yes.gif

QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 20 2012, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 20 2012, 11:03 AM)
Does anyone like a good Peanut Butter sandwich once and awhile ?

Uh, peanut butter? That was Elvis.

Whom even I can't make a connection to Rush to (that is, beyond the obvious starting of R&R and influencing Rush's influences)

http://i.imgur.com/X3FFq.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 22 2012, 04:47 PM)
After a few more listens, I'll be honest this song isn't really doing it for me. The slow chorus doesn't flow too well, and the vocal lines don't stand out much at all throughout the song....the solo is good, and their are some cool bass and drum moments....

I am shocked dude...you're usually really positive and have nothing but good things to say about Rush

As in nature do you mean residing in Great Britain? I don't even know that to be true but that's what I would guess. yes.gif

Yeah, it was a commentary on the largely cynical Euro Rush fans, such as on the TNMS board. I think it's just in their genetic make up. wink.gif And I think I was confusing WC with Fridge, which would explain my mistake, so apologies all the way around.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 22 2012, 06:17 PM)

Yeah, it was a commentary on the largely cynical Euro Rush fans, such as on the TNMS board. I think it's just in their genetic make up. wink.gif And I think I was confusing WC with Fridge, which would explain my mistake, so apologies all the way around.

And Fridge is a Scot -- and if I remember correctly, he likes "Caravan."

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 22 2012, 05:17 PM)

I made a joke in another thread that Rush is skipping UK because they actually read these message boards laugh.gif Sometimes I hope the band never does get on these boards.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 22 2012, 04:17 PM)

no worries there man, all good. At least the new Van Halen is pretty good. Liking it more and more.... trink39.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 22 2012, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 22 2012, 05:17 PM)

I made a joke in another thread that Rush is skipping UK because they actually read these message boards laugh.gif Sometimes I hope the band never does get on these boards.

No matter what any band as big as Rush does, there are going to be people who like what they are doing, and people who don't. I ceratinly don't hate their new 3 songs, but don't love them either. I'm excited to see what the rest of CA sounds like for sure.....

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 22 2012, 06:19 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 22 2012, 04:17 PM)

no worries there man, all good. At least the new Van Halen is pretty good. Liking it more and more.... trink39.gif

Thanks for being cool, m'man. trink39.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 22 2012, 04:50 PM)

Whom even I can't make a connection to Rush to (that is, beyond the obvious starting of R&R and influencing Rush's influences)

Whoa, that is uncanny! Alex and Elvis, separated at birth!

QUOTE (Phantom @ Apr 22 2012, 09:10 AM)
If I had to offer one bit of constructive criticism, it would be that there are a couple points where it doesn't quite have the flow of a unified song. Sort of piece-worked together.

But it is so blistering, and such an adrenaline drive, that it makes the flow almost insignificant to me.

I feel that soon we will be able to overcome the strange flow and learn to embrace it. To me it is not so bad and I enjoy it well!

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 22 2012, 04:50 PM)

ohmy.gif Elvis lives!

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 22 2012, 09:03 PM)
QUOTE (Phantom @ Apr 22 2012, 09:10 AM)
If I had to offer one bit of constructive criticism, it would be that there are a couple points where it doesn't quite have the flow of a unified song. Sort of piece-worked together.

But it is so blistering, and such an adrenaline drive, that it makes the flow almost insignificant to me.

I feel that soon we will be able to overcome the strange flow and learn to embrace it. To me it is not so bad and I enjoy it well!

It's a very minor thing to note, and it doesn't bother me in a significant way. Given the choice of hearing a tune that flows perfectly, but doesn't move me, and one that doesn't quite flow smoothly, but moves me the way hlf does, it'll take the latter all day long!

I don't know why, but I just cant seem to stop playing the air drums on this song. rimshot.gif Anyone know why? Just watch out when I'm driving and Headlong Flight comes on!!! 653.gif

In my experience with Rush, their music CAN grow on me, but usually after several listens to a song or album, if anything it's only going to go down in my estimation, not up, especially if it's a new release that I initially am enthralled with just because it's new.

That's my long way around of saying that Headlong Flight is maybe a 6.5 out of 10 for me, but I doubt it will go up higher than that. I've listened to it many times, but by now it seems kind of a chore to get through, and it shouldn't be that way.

Maybe it will make more sense in the context of the suite, but I also said that about Caravan and BU2B. After three songs, they kind of have to hold up on their own to a large extent, as magically adding in a few more songs and connecting them together thematically isn't going to produce a miracle... or at least I doubt it.

I'm just finding that newer Rush seems to be so highly structured without the room to breathe they once had - the instrumentation and playing is fantastic, within the structure, but overall it feels too tight and constricted - too straight ahead hard rock without the interesting more progressive changes and surprises they used to have. And it's a tad repetitive - would have been better at 4 minutes, 4 and a half at most - often their songs seem a little padded in recent albums with too many repeats of the chorus.

So, I'm still left with VERY GOOD, but not great, and I still hold out hope for a couple of songs as great as the first 3 tracks from S&A.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 24 2012, 11:39 AM)
In my experience with Rush, their music CAN grow on me, but usually after several listens to a song or album, if anything it's only going to go down in my estimation, not up, especially if it's a new release that I initially am enthralled with just because it's new.

That's my long way around of saying that Headlong Flight is maybe a 6.5 out of 10 for me, but I doubt it will go up higher than that. I've listened to it many times, but by now it seems kind of a chore to get through, and it shouldn't be that way.

Maybe it will make more sense in the context of the suite, but I also said that about Caravan and BU2B. After three songs, they kind of have to hold up on their own to a large extent, as magically adding in a few more songs and connecting them together thematically isn't going to produce a miracle... or at least I doubt it.

I'm just finding that newer Rush seems to be so highly structured without the room to breathe they once had - the instrumentation and playing is fantastic, within the structure, but overall it feels too tight and constricted - too straight ahead hard rock without the interesting more progressive changes and surprises they used to have. And it's a tad repetitive - would have been better at 4 minutes, 4 and a half at most - often their songs seem a little padded in recent albums with too many repeats of the chorus.

So, I'm still left with VERY GOOD, but not great, and I still hold out hope for a couple of songs as great as the first 3 tracks from S&A.

so that's your final answer?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 24 2012, 02:39 PM)

Agreed!

Well at least there are not any bad edits.....unlike "We Hold ON"...at 1:20.....

I can't believe after 5 years that STILL stands out.....