Rate Signals

Gompers

How do you rate Signals?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Signals?

10/10.

Probably my favorite Rush album.

The only song that doesn't get my heart slamming is Countdown. Other than that, this is a straight through listen; full of air drumming, lip synching, etc. An absolute classic.

I still have the dream that they open the second set with the entire 'Signals' - but in reverse order, starting off with 'Countdown'. Anyway, once again - a ten - amen.

QUOTE (goose @ Apr 22 2012, 08:14 AM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 21 2012, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 21 2012, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 21 2012, 05:11 PM)
Signals would be a 10 except that Chemistry and Countdown are so embarrassingly dorky, lyrically speaking.

didn't geddy and alex write the lyrics for chemistry?

I believe all three band members collaborated on those lyrics.

Supposed quote from Alex Lifeson :

"Very often the guys will have worked out something musically and made a tape of it for which they have nothing particular in mind. 'Grand Designs,' on the last album, was done that way. They had the musical ideas laid out and just made a little tape for me with guitar, keyboards and drum machine, and I had that. So, again, if I'm stumped on something that I've been working on, I pull out that tape and try to close my mind off for a minute and listen to the tape. 'Chemistry' was a true collaboration between the three of us. The other guys had a couple of key phrases they wanted to express, so they gave me the music. That was easy because all the groundwork was done. Playing with words comes so much easier than having to dream up the whole thing."

From Wiki:

Parts of "Chemistry" were written by the band at once while they were separated from each other. Lee wrote the keyboard melody for the bridge section, Lifeson wrote the guitar riff for the verse, and Peart wrote the drum beat for the chorus, and in a move unusual for Rush, Lee and Lifeson came with the concept and title for the song and presented rough lyrics for Peart to polish.

The Alex Lifeson quote sounds more like Neil to me.

9. I love the SOUND of this album. so cool. Chemistry, Digital Man, The Weapon.....such outstanding songs. and it has Losing it wub.gif One of my fav Rush tracks. What stops it from a 10.....Countdown 062802puke_prv.gif Way to trip at the finish line laugh.gif

Mick

• Like 1

A perfect 10.

Nostalgia is strong with this one. Tom Sawyer on the radio was what hooked me on Rush, so Signals was the first album where my best bud and I in junior high school were anxiously counting down the days for a new release. We were puzzled by the "new sound," but we came to love it. And we were so excited to see a song on there that was labeled "Part II of Fear" because it finally explained the mystery of MP's "Part III of Fear" -- the whole backwards trilogy thing. We couldn't wait for the following year or two to see what Part I was like.

The Great

Subdivisions

The Analog Kid

Chemistry

Digital Man

The Weapon

New World Man

Losing It

Countdown

The Bad

none

Edited by Chronos
  • Like 1

Signals brought keyboards to Rush's sound in full force, but not as most other Prog acts had employed, where they were an adaption of classical piano or organ. The keyboards to Rush marked the beginning of the 80s era synth sound that became pervasive in the MTV generation. The strength of the Rush sound was buffered as Alex's guitar was suddenly dampened. As we know, this was remedied in future albums. Regardless of the lack of the guitar punch we had grown accustomed to, the release was still on of Rush's best releases, IMO.

The Great

-Subdivisions

-The Analog Kid

-Digital Man

-The Weapon (Part II of Fear)

-Losing It

The Good

-Chemistry

-New World Man

The OK

-Countdown

I never been a big fan of Countdown for some reason, maybe it is the background sound effects that distract me, so this would be the only song I would skip. Only the best Rush releases have no skips, to me anyway. For this reason, I rate Signals at 8.

I agree with your ratings except for two things:

1. Countdown is great to me. It's among the first songs that made me like Rush

2. I rate Signals 9.

:hi:

Edited by rhyv