Rate Signals

Gompers

How do you rate Signals?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Signals?

Signals brought keyboards to Rush's sound in full force, but not as most other Prog acts had employed, where they were an adaption of classical piano or organ. The keyboards to Rush marked the beginning of the 80s era synth sound that became pervasive in the MTV generation. The strength of the Rush sound was buffered as Alex's guitar was suddenly dampened. As we know, this was remedied in future albums. Regardless of the lack of the guitar punch we had grown accustomed to, the release was still on of Rush's best releases, IMO.

The Great

-Subdivisions

-The Analog Kid

-Digital Man

-The Weapon (Part II of Fear)

-Losing It

The Good

-Chemistry

-New World Man

The OK

-Countdown

I never been a big fan of Countdown for some reason, maybe it is the background sound effects that distract me, so this would be the only song I would skip. Only the best Rush releases have no skips, to me anyway. For this reason, I rate Signals at 8.

• Like 1

10. My favorite Rush album. Sometimes Hemipsheres threatens its position. But at the end of the day, I usually decide on Signals.

As I've mentioned in other threads, the fact that Signals became and continues to be a polarizing album among Rush fans is quite possibly the most monumental head-scratcher when I contemplate greater Rushdom. The notion that Signals was a major rupture in Rush's musical development deserves serious revision, IMHO.

That's my two cents... wink.gif

This one boasts my favorite Rush song of all in Subdivisions. Chemistry is another one that ranks way up there for me. Heck, I think six of the eight songs are absolutely fantastic. It's the "Man" duo that doesn't do much for me. I don't hate the tunes--there are things I like quite a bit about them, actually--but they do tend to bore me on the whole. That isn't enough to drop this album below a 9, though.

8/10.

I usually find myself skipping Chemistry and I'll occasionally skip Losing It if I'm not in the mood.

I love countdown, it's one of their best closing songs. Digital man is also in my top 10 favourite rush songs in my opinion. With classics like Subdivisions and The Analog Kid, Radio favourites like New World man, and even some prog in The Weapon, it's hard not to love this record.

A good mix of positive and negative attitude combined with musical variety give this release amazing longevity- much more than the downer which is P/G.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Apr 18 2012, 10:59 AM)
9. Not that into New World Man, love everything else.

Same for me

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 18 2012, 12:59 PM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Apr 18 2012, 10:59 AM)
9. Not that into New World Man, love everything else.

Same for me

And me trink39.gif

This one gets a 10.

(For the record, everything from Hemispheres through Power Windows is a ten in my book tongue.gif Fantastic string of albums....)

Signals is a definite top 10 Rush album for me. Like all of my top favorite Rush albums, I give this one a 9.

Here's hoping that cuts like The Analog Kid, Chemistry, Countdown, and The Weapon make it on the setlist for the upcoming tour. It'd be awesome if The Analog Kid is one of the earlier songs in the first set! 1022.gif

This is the album that got me into Rush. Solid 10. The only post E...SL album that I would rate a 10. Analog Kid, Digital Man, Chemistry...Weapon, NWM, Subdivisions. Fantastic stuff. Countdown with that part at the end...excellent! Favorite tune off the album...Losing It. I could not rate this any lower than a 10.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 18 2012, 03:42 PM)
2. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Good: Subdivisions, The Weapon

Okay: New World Man

This album, the worst is much worse than the good is good, so it doesn't really work out.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff454/GracieGifs/disapprove.gif

Here goes:

The Great:

Subdivisions (my 2nd favorite song by Rush - yup, you read that right. 2nd favorite. Only like one Rush song more than this song)

New World Man

The Good:

The Analog Kid (very strong - borders on great, on some days might fall into that category. Today I am in a mood to say it does not.)

Losing it (also very strong but not as strong as The Analog Kid)

The ok

Chemistry

The Weapon

Digital Man

The Not so ok:

Countdown

The bad:

None

This album is all over the place with songs in all but one of the categories.

Countdown is an interesting song in that I feel like I should like it as I am all in favor of space exploration. Love the topic but the song just does not appeal to me. It did not when I first got the album, not does it now.

What makes this album is the presence of Subdivisions. Its just such a good song.

I will give this album a sold 8+ and enough of a + to get it over 8.5 and hence I rounded up to a 9. Even so, this album, like P/G is being pushed very hard by Presto, Counterparts and S & A and may be passed by some or all of these albums at some point.

It's between a 9 and 10 for me, but I bumped it to 10 because it's my #3 album, the first full album of the synth era (which I love), and because the songs that are my favorites on this album are SO good that they make up for any I don't like quite as much.

LOVE Subdivisions, Analog Kid, Chemistry (way underrated), The Weapon (one of my very favorite songs).

Love New World Man, Losing It, and Countdown a little bit less, but barely.

Digital Man is probably my least favorite, but still awesome, and that bass...

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 19 2012, 06:09 PM)
I'm the only one so far who rated it lower than a 6. unsure.gif

That's 'cause you're fing.gif

tongue.gif