Rate Grace Under Pressure

Gompers

How do you rate Grace Under Pressure?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Grace Under Pressure?

Dammit! I clicked on the wrong number sad.gif

This one is an 8.5 for me. Not a bad song on it.

I think I'm the only guy here who much prefers side 2 to side 1. More variety there I find.

Anyway, this album usually fights with its brother Signals for spot #4 on my list of favourite rush albums. Every song here is solid, the only problem comes from it's cold and sterile production. If this album had a smell, it would be of a pharmacy counter. The songs themselves are also pretty negative in nature with no "happy" songs per se.

The production also helps date the album considerably. To me, it sounds much more of it's time than signals ever did. Perhaps the keyboard effects used coupled with the subject matter add to this feeling.

Anywho, I give it an 8/10 compared to the 8.5 or so I give Signals.

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Apr 18 2012, 11:40 AM)
I think I'm the only guy here who much prefers side 2 to side 1. More variety there I find.

Not alone at all. trink39.gif

But I'm willing to guess I'm one of the very few that likes side 2's first three tracks much more than the closer.

I only like BTW live. Studio, the keys grate on me.

QUOTE (goose @ Apr 19 2012, 11:09 PM)

But I'm willing to guess I'm one of the very few that likes side 2's first three tracks much more than the closer.

BTW features my fav Lifeson solo of ALL TIME 1022.gif

This album has stood the test of time far better than anybody would have ever imagined back in '84.

Easily one of my top 3 RUSH albums.

On any given day this album along with PoW and Hemispheres could be #1 on my list. It just depends on my mood.

Great record...between an 8 and a 9. My least favorite track is Red Sector A...I know that may not be popular. Red Lenses grew on me over the years.

This album rates highly in my book for Afterimage, Enemy, and Between the Wheels.

To be honest, I would not mind if I never heard DEW again in concert. It's a good song, I am just tired of it.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 20 2012, 12:02 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Apr 19 2012, 11:09 PM)

BTW features my fav Lifeson solo of ALL TIME 1022.gif

Great guitar solo!

I just always had a keys-induced headache by the time the song got to it. tongue.gif

This is my 3rd favourite Rush album. I'm stunned that there are people that rate Kid Gloves anything other than magnificent! The Bass lines gives me shivers, and the solo is brilliant, easily one of my top 5 songs.

QUOTE (zimmy77 @ Apr 22 2012, 03:59 AM)
This is my 3rd favourite Rush album. I'm stunned that there are people that rate Kid Gloves anything other than magnificent! The Bass lines gives me shivers, and the solo is brilliant, easily one of my top 5 songs.

Great song, amazing solo!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 17 2012, 06:13 AM)
Rush returns with a new producer, after a long run with Broonsy, by hiring Peter Henderson to co-produce Grace Under Pressure. I was in college at the time of this release and it was an immediate hit with me. It seems like almost everyone has a different favorite off GUP. Few match my favorite, Red Lenses, though. I always liked the funkiness of the music and the goofiness of the lyrics. A close second is Red Sector A and then Between the Wheels. This was an awesome release and the best of the 80's synth era.

The Great
-Distant Early Warning
-Afterimage
-Red Sector A
-The Enemy Within (Part I of Fear)
-Red Lenses
-Between the Wheels

The Good
-The Body Electric
-Kid Gloves

This gets a 9.5 because all songs are not great, but I will round it up to 10. It still gets regular rotation in my library.

facepalm.gif bitchslap.gif your license for making these lists shold be revoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kid gloves...is an amzing track- people would shit if they played it live again.

body electric would do the same.

bitchslap.gif

I just listened to Grace Under Pressure for the first time in...wow, at least fifteen years, this past weekend. (Maybe 20?). When I was younger I always thought it sounded dated, with the electric drums, etc...but anyway, as I hear it now, all of the playing is excellent, as always, and by 1983-'84, Geddy's singing had calmed down into something very nuanced and melodic. I love this album!

I gave it a 9.

Best songs on it, in my opinion:

Between the Wheels

Afterimage

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

I gave it a 10. P/G and Hemispheres are always ranked in my top few favorite albums, kinda funny since it's two completely different styles of music, but I love em both.

I love every song on P/G and can listen to the album over and over, and it's in my car CD player a lot. I never understood the hate for Red Lenses, I love the fact that the song is just a giant showcase for Neil plus a catchy bass line. It's hard to resist the need to air drum when it comes on. Besides, Alex can't have a wicked solo in every song, right? tongue.gif

Distant Early Warning, 3/5, .6

Afterimage, 5/5, 1

Red Sector A, 4/5, .8

The Enemy Within, 3/5, .6

The Body Electric, 3/5, .6

Kid Gloves, 4/5, .8

Red Lenses, 2/5, .4

Between the Wheels, 5/5, 1

73%

10/10.

Easily rests in my top 5 Rush albums.

Afterimage, Beneath the Wheels, The Enemy Within, Distant Early Warning, Red Sector A, Kid Gloves; gotta have 'em all.