Rate Grace Under Pressure

Gompers

How do you rate Grace Under Pressure?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Grace Under Pressure?

Rush returns with a new producer, after a long run with Broonsy, by hiring Peter Henderson to co-produce Grace Under Pressure. I was in college at the time of this release and it was an immediate hit with me. It seems like almost everyone has a different favorite off GUP. Few match my favorite, Red Lenses, though. I always liked the funkiness of the music and the goofiness of the lyrics. A close second is Red Sector A and then Between the Wheels. This was an awesome release and the best of the 80's synth era.

The Great

-Distant Early Warning

-Afterimage

-Red Sector A

-The Enemy Within (Part I of Fear)

-Red Lenses

-Between the Wheels

The Good

-The Body Electric

-Kid Gloves

This gets a 9.5 because all songs are not great, but I will round it up to 10. It still gets regular rotation in my library.

Tracks 1-4 represent the best four-song stretch on any Rush album save for the incomparable first side of Moving Pictures. Between the Wheels is also wonderful, but the other three tunes are not. Kid Gloves is decent at best, Red Lenses is goofy, and The Body Electric is downright horrible (it might well be my least favorite Rush song). Five-for-eight isn't the greatest showing percentage-wise, but man, those five are really, really good. I'll give the album an 8.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Apr 17 2012, 06:30 AM)
Tracks 1-4 represent the best four-song stretch on any Rush album save for the incomparable first side of Moving Pictures. Between the Wheels is also wonderful, but the other three tunes are not. Kid Gloves is decent at best, Red Lenses is goofy, and The Body Electric is downright horrible (it might well be my least favorite Rush song). Five-for-eight isn't the greatest showing percentage-wise, but man, those five are really, really good. I'll give the album an 8.

I gave it an 8 as well, for mostly the same reasons, although I like Red Lenses and Kid Gloves. I agree about The Body Electric being not-so-stellar. Side 1 just plain owns.

Kid Gloves is totally awesome. The Guitar Riff is one my favorites!

I really can't find any song to complain about on p/g. Well, That's 2.gif for you

8.5 / 9

The Good

Distant Early Warning

Afterimage

Red Sector A

The Enemy Within

Kid Gloves

Between The Wheels

The OK

The Body Electric

The "Meh..."

Red Lenses

I've heard Grace Under Pressure called dated and a synth album, but it holds up quite well. There are some great Alex solos on it (Kid Gloves!) and the songs are just up in your face. I have always loved Between The Wheels and was really happy when they started playing it live again. I was in boot camp and A school during that tour so I didn't get to see them live, but bootlegs from that time give a more raw and rocking take on the slick production. I would have like to have heard at least one more collaboration with Peter Henderson.

In my top 5 too. Love it.

My ratings so far:

Presto - 9

Grace Under Pressure - 9

Power Windows - 8

Counterparts - 8

Hold Your Fire - 8

Test for Echo - 7

Snakes & Arrows - 7

Vapor Trails - 7

Roll the Bones - 6

Edited by savagegrace26

IMO this is not as strong as the 2 albums that came after it (Power Windows & HYF). That being said, here we go:

The Great

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

The Good

Afterimage

Between the Wheels

The Enemy Within

The Ok

The Body Electric

Kid Gloves

Red Lenses

The Not so Ok

None

The Bad

None

It should be noted that the 3 good songs are on the vey high end of the category, bordering great and they may slip into great someday. Given my feelings for them it would not surprise me if this is exactly what happens. In fact, I have indicated else where that Afterimage was my favorite song from the record (while saying that it could change on a day to day basis).

It should also be noted that the 3 "ok" songs are on the low side of the category, almost falling into a "not so ok" category. It would not shock me if thats what happens to these songs someday given my feelings for them.

With 5 very good song and 3 not very good songs its a hard album to rate. Based on the strength of the 5 it gets an 8+ and I guess the "+" is strong enough for me to round it up to a 9. That being said, given the strength of Presto, Counterparts and S & A along with my increasing respect for all 3 of those albums, I sort of expect them to pass this fine effort by someday.

It's like my 2nd or 3rd favorite 80s Rush album and it's on my top 10 all time favorite Rush albums.

I think we need any song (even the ones that were played in recent years) from this album to make an appearance on the next tour. I hope they play Kid Gloves or Afterimage live someday.

10. This album is my second favorite, and some days I think it could take over Power Windows. I love the overall sound of it, and Between The Wheels is one of my very favorite Rush songs. I'm still blown away by it every time I listen to it. Every song is great, including Red Lenses and the criminally underrated Body Electric. Those last "mother of all machineee-eees!" into the guitar solo and outro are fanfreakin'tastic. Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 17 2012, 08:32 AM)

What's not to love about this album?

goodpost.gif

A perfect 10. My favorite Rush album right now.

Body Electric isn't as popular as I would've guessed, and that absolutely baffles me. One of Rush's very best songs (and one of Alex's best solos) IMO! They did have the good sense to include it in Retrospective II though, so I guess someone liked it smile.gif

Every song is a gem, and the album is remarkably consistent and cohesive. I love the overall sound quality and production style. Alex's best and most mature guitar playing by far. Amazing songwriting and lyrics. Brilliant bass playing. The perfect balance of guitar and synth. I just can't say enough good things about this album. yes.gif

And to everyone who doesn't like Red Lenses.... moon.gif tongue.gif

That instrumental break at 2:05 is pure brilliance! Dig those rhythms!!