Opening Song Prediction

Echoes

With the word going around that Rush is playing all indoor shows, I'm gonna guess that they'll open with some form of 2112.

What do you guys think? :U

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering I think the first set will be all of CA, my guess is Caravan.

If they play all of CA in the second set, I'm guessing the first set opener will be Subdivisions.

QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Apr 15 2012, 02:35 PM)

If they play all of CA in the second set, I'm guessing the first set opener will be Subdivisions.

You read my mind! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 15 2012, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Apr 15 2012, 02:35 PM)

You read my mind! ohmy.gif

haha it's pretty much the only thing that makes sense.

Subdivisions seems likely. I really don't think they'll do all of Signals, but opening with Subdivisions is a nice nod to the anniversary. Unless they do all of CA in the first set, of course. But that's an awful risk. Half the crowd, the ones that think Rush ended in 1981, will show up an hour late just to avoid the new crap they're shoveling eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 15 2012, 07:33 PM)
Indoors, lasers, Dreamline would be the perfect opener

Ooooo I forgot about the indoor-show thing!

I think it's gonna be either Dreamline or Subdivisions. Either one would be fantastic! 1022.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 15 2012, 07:38 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 15 2012, 07:33 PM)
Indoors, lasers, Dreamline would be the perfect opener

Ooooo I forgot about the indoor-show thing!

I think it's gonna be either Dreamline or Subdivisions. Either one would be fantastic! 1022.gif

I forgot all about that too...now THIS changes everything!! yes.gif

With the indoor shows, 2112 would work as a good opening song. Just imagine the house lights going down, and then the unmistakable "whzzzzzzz"ing intro to 2112...and the place going NUTS... 1022.gif

I really hope they don't play all of CA, especially not to open the show. The atmosphere would be completely dead. Even if the album rocks like crazy, it's hard to get an entire arena to react to unfamiliar music. It would be 66 minutes of awkward standing and listening. People might even start leaving and just coming back for the second set.

I'd like to see Freewill start the gig and then play an abbreviated version of Clockwork Angels to start the second set. Beginning with Caravan and BU2B, and then carrying on through the strongest of the album's tracks.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Apr 15 2012, 11:16 PM)
I really hope they don't play all of CA, especially not to open the show. The atmosphere would be completely dead. Even if the album rocks like crazy, it's hard to get an entire arena to react to unfamiliar music. It would be 66 minutes of awkward standing and listening. People might even start leaving and just coming back for the second set.

I'd like to see Freewill start the gig and then play an abbreviated version of Clockwork Angels to start the second set. Beginning with Caravan and BU2B, and then carrying on through the strongest of the album's tracks.

This sounds like the best option. Even if the album is the best thing since sliced bread I don't think I'll want to hear it straight through.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Apr 16 2012, 01:16 PM)

I'd like to see Freewill start the gig

I said the same thing in a similar thread about the upcoming CA tour a year or 2 ago. They need it to be big, classic, and something they've never opened with before. AND it should be something that fits into the CA theme.

The safer bet would be an abbreviated version of 2112.

Set I or Set II:

Countdown

Losing It

New World Man

The Weapon

Digital Man

Chemistry

The Analog Kid

Subdivisions

wink.gif

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Apr 15 2012, 11:16 PM)
I really hope they don't play all of CA, especially not to open the show. The atmosphere would be completely dead. Even if the album rocks like crazy, it's hard to get an entire arena to react to unfamiliar music.

Don't worry about Rush playing the whole new album right at the start of the show, they're not as stupid as Iron Maiden is laugh.gif

If they do open with anything new, which they won't because Rush never does, then I think the combo of Caravan and BU2B would be a good start. But they're probably gonna go the route they usually do and open with a couple hits everyone knows so they can get the crowd going right away which i've always thought was a very smart thing to do. I think Overture/Temples would be a great way to start the show then follow that up with somehting like Freewill, Limelight or Subdivisions. Then they can get into doing the new stuff and deep cuts.

Edited by J2112YYZ

A song like Subdivisions makes sense because they need to start off with a song that isn't too far up Geddy's vocal register.

Starting with Freewill would be a disaster for this reason.

When I saw them in LA last year Geddy struggled on TSOR to open the show. For a minute, I thought that time had finally caught up to him, but he was fine after a couple of songs.