Rate Hold Your Fire

Gompers

How do you rate Hold Your Fire?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Hold Your Fire?

I've already narrated my HYF story elsewhere. The short version is that when I brought the LP home on September 3, 1987, I was so appalled that I trashed it, declared Rush "dead to me" and ignored the band completely until I picked up T4E on a whim a decade later. Sometime after that I tried HYF again and fell in love with it.

I don't know what happened in those intervening 10 years to make me go from ranking it a big fat zero all the way to an 8, but I really love it. It's the lushness and the melodies.

I've been surprised to see all the animosity toward High Water. I think it's one of the strongest tracks on here.

QUOTE (Chronos @ Jul 11 2012, 02:56 PM)

I've already narrated my HYF story elsewhere. The short version is that when I brought the LP home on September 3, 1987, I was so appalled that I trashed it, declared Rush "dead to me" and ignored the band completely until I picked up T4E on a whim a decade later. Sometime after that I tried HYF again and fell in love with it.

I don't know what happened in those intervening 10 years to make me go from ranking it a big fat zero all the way to an 8, but I really love it. It's the lushness and the melodies.

I've been surprised to see all the animosity toward High Water. I think it's one of the strongest tracks on here.

Did you like Power Windows when you bought Hold Your Fire in 1987 ?

Perhaps the most underrated album of Rush's entire catalog. Some of their best songwriting and melodies, especially the sublime "Prime Mover." And some of Ged's best bass work ever. On the downside, production is a bit too thin, and Tai and High are not terrible, but subpar. Hope we get some HYF on the next tour. Rating: 8
  • Like 1

6/10

Prime Mover, Lock And Key, Mission, and Turn The Page are fantastic. Force Ten is a decent song that I've burned out on completely.

Time Stand Still and Open Secrets are mediocre at best.

Second Nature, Tai Shan, and High Water are some of their worst work ever.

6/10

Prime Mover, Lock And Key, Mission, and Turn The Page are fantastic. Force Ten is a decent song that I've burned out on completely.

Time Stand Still and Open Secrets are mediocre at best.

Second Nature, Tai Shan, and High Water are some of their worst work ever.

Hey Narpski :blah:, we've got another one... :)