Open secrets

Mission

Turn the page

time stand still

the good

High water

Tai Shan

solid 10. i absolutely love this album and every song on it

I love this album, but when it came out I was a bass player. Geddy's bass playing on this is stellar-the height of his bass line writing in my opinion. Other than Show Don't Tell, this is the last of the melodic lyrical bass lines. For that, I gave it a 9.

QUOTE (brizzy @ Apr 14 2012, 04:14 PM)
solid 10.  i absolutely love this album and every song on it

Totally agree! A big fat 10 for me too. Really love every song on this album with my favourite being Mission.

Edited by Drummerrobin

I gave it a 9.

One of my favorite albums. I really like Second Nature. One of my top ten favorite songs. Like most of the "synth" era songs, there is just so much going on in the music. They seem more "complex".

this album would be almost perfect to my ears, at least for that specific stage of Rush's career, if it wasn't for the existance of Second Nature, Tai Shan and High Water. Especially SN, that song possibly the wimpiest song lyrically and muscially that Rush ever recorded.

Yeah, it's overproduced and doesn't contain a single crunchy chord or any aggression anywhere, but it's a product of it's time. That's the sound they were going for, that's what many bands were doing in the late '80s.

Say what you will about the lush production and sound, I think HYF contains some of the best overall songwriting and melodies they ever wrote. Time Stand Still and Mission are two examples. Unlike many songs on TFE, VT and espeically S&A, it doesn't contain any awkward Geddy shoehorning of words or clumsy transitions or parts that sound forced. The songs are memorable (even the bad ones) and can be sung along to. Can't say the same thing about a lot of the recent material.

Edited by jnoble

9+. It's not perfect, but I listen to it a lot.

The Fabulous:

Time Stand Still

Open Secrets, OMG.

Second Nature - I heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif this song, but will concede that one of the "Folks" has to be changed.

Prime Mover - the point of the journey is not to arrive/the point of departure is not to return means a LOT to me.

Lock And Key

Mission

Turn The Page

The Not Quite Fabulous, But D*** I Love 'Em:

Force Ten

Tai Shan - they make you feel like you're there (and I need the escape)

High Water

And don't tell me I like this album 'cause I don't like heavy stuff - BU2B is also fabulous IMO.

Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Apr 15 2012, 09:32 AM)
Geddy's best bass playing on his best bass ever!

Yes there's a lot of great bass playing on this album, very lyrical and melodic bass work. Probably the pinnacle of albums for Geddy bass...

QUOTE (goose @ Apr 13 2012, 10:18 PM)
QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 13 2012, 05:05 PM)

The Great

Time Stand Still (the 3rd best song by Rush - yes you read that right, 3rd best, I love this song)

Not a fan of FYI, but I agree that this song is amazing. The sentiment and lyrics get me everytime.

"Freeze this moment...", gives me chills. Off to post in he MotS Nostalgia thread... bolt.gif

With me its not that line that really gets me (although that part of the song is great). For me it the part that goes:

Summer's Going Fast-

Nights Growing Colder

Children Growing Up-

Old Friends Growing Older

Experience Slips Away...

The Innocence Slips Away

Time Stand Still

Those lyrics plus the way Geddy sings them - wow, oh wow.

I know a lot of folks don't like this album because of the keys / synths but I actually think some of the songs on this album, Power Windows and Presto would not have worked as well if they were done fast & heavy (think like Bastille Day / 2112 / Something for Nothing / Counterparts album). And if you read the lyrics and think about them their really is something there. I have freely admitted the same is true with an album of their I don't like. Says something about Neil's ability as a songwriter.

Also, I think it was necessary for the guys to go through this stage, then have Rupert H. strip out everything and go with the minimized sound that many (not including myself) don't like before revving it back up with Counterparts. Part of their musical journey. And just remember, for an artist, the Point of the Journey is not to arrive (ouch - just had to say that). Again, I do recognize that with their albums I have not liked.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 15 2012, 06:13 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Apr 13 2012, 10:18 PM)
QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 13 2012, 05:05 PM)

The Great

Time Stand Still (the 3rd best song by Rush - yes you read that right, 3rd best, I love this song)

Not a fan of FYI, but I agree that this song is amazing. The sentiment and lyrics get me everytime.

"Freeze this moment...", gives me chills. Off to post in he MotS Nostalgia thread... bolt.gif

With me its not that line that really gets me (although that part of the song is great). For me it the part that goes:

Summer's Going Fast-

Nights Growing Colder

Children Growing Up-

Old Friends Growing Older

Experience Slips Away...

The Innocence Slips Away

Time Stand Still

Those lyrics plus the way Geddy sings them - wow, oh wow.

x2

bekloppt.gif

A solid 8 from me. One of my favorite albums! It is shy of a 10 due to a couple of shaky things. I am one of those who loves Tai Shan - when i first heard it (catching up on everything between 1986 and 2010 as I did) I was floored by the sentiments. I have felt the same way in other places. Then when I heard High Water... well, I thought I was the only one. I guess that's the mark of a great lyricist - to make one say, "Someone else feels like that too?"

The musicianship on HYF is outstanding. Geddy's bass is so - I can't find the word. Plucky? Poppy? Anyway, fantastic. Alex's guitar textures show him for the brilliant phraser that he is. And the drums are creative and fresh. Overall, this is a beautiful album.

A solid 8 from me. One of my favorite albums! It is shy of a 10 due to a couple of shaky things. I am one of those who loves Tai Shan - when i first heard it (catching up on everything between 1986 and 2010 as I did) I was floored by the sentiments. I have felt the same way in other places. Then when I heard High Water... well, I thought I was the only one. I guess that's the mark of a great lyricist - to make one say, "Someone else feels like that too?"

The musicianship on HYF is outstanding. Geddy's bass is so - I can't find the word. Plucky? Poppy? Anyway, fantastic. Alex's guitar textures show him for the brilliant phraser that he is. And the drums are creative and fresh. Overall, this is a beautiful album.

In my few years of being a Rush fan, I've never listened to HYF, other than Force Ten and Time Stand Still, and hearing Mission on the S&A dvd. I'm finally gonna listen to the whole album. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

2.gif

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Apr 16 2012, 12:23 PM)
In my few years of being a Rush fan, I've never listened to HYF

Good, don't do it . You will thank me biggrin.gif

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Apr 16 2012, 01:23 PM)
In my few years of being a Rush fan, I've never listened to HYF, other than Force Ten and Time Stand Still, and hearing Mission on the S&A dvd. I'm finally gonna listen to the whole album. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

2.gif

If you like rock music, you ain't gonna like it. You know how soft Time Stand Still sounds? That is the most rocking song on the album, besides Force 10.