Diets

Gompers

QUOTE (staunchally @ May 12 2012, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 13 2012, 12:02 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 13 2012, 11:39 AM)
So has anyone tried any of those supplements for losing that extra 10 pounds? Like Hydroxycut or this new Green Tea pill?

I have been working out daily and can't seem to get rid some core weight.

What I've found over the past year is that what you eat is more important than what you lift. laugh.gif Going to the the gym helps you lose weight, but at least 75% of the weight loss solution comes from what's on your plate at home.

You can lose weight on just about every diet you've heard of, but most aren't viable for the long-term; you eventually break the diet, can't KEEP the weight off, gain the weight back, and usually gain more than you started with. Yo-yo dieting is a real problem.

You need to find a nutritional program that you can maintain for life. There are a couple of effective ones which use your Glycemic Index - maintaining a consistent blood sugar level throughout the day. The advantage to these diets are that you can stay on them for life, eat just about every food you love (no restriction of entire food groups, a'la Atkins, and no starvation), and maintain a consistent weight. Two diets like this are Mark Macdonald's "Venice Nutrition" program and the infomercial for "Food Lover's Fat Loss System."

Just about everything else I've seen won't work, or will only work for the short term. I don't even WANT to know what the full story is with that Sensa stuff, the infomercial for a white powder you sprinkle on your meals, which supposedly helps you lose weight while still eating all the junk food in sight! laugh.gif Stuff like that can't be real, or good for you.

The other permanent solutions are too extreme for most: an entirely plant-based diet, or close to it. The Zone Diet uses all food groups, but mostly plants. And then there's all-out vegetarianism. (Ever see an obese vegetarian?)

Yes, my sister!

Posted that before reading what everybody else wrote. My sister lives on mac/cheese and sweets. Clearly very unhealthy.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I eat breakfast, then second breakfast, then elevenses, lunch, tea, then dinner, and then supper. And I look like a hobbit. But taller!

I lost 50 pounds doing low carb and moderate exercise.

I allow myself one "re=feed" day a week, when I can drink beer, have pizza, etc then back on the horse the next day. Helps to kill the cravings.

For those of us not blessed with a fast metabolism it's less of a diet, and more of a "lifestyle change"

If you think of it as a diet which you will do for a finite period of time, you WILL fail.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 12 2012, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ May 12 2012, 02:59 PM)
I skip breakfast, eat a small lunch, have a small snack, then eat a reasonably large meal. And look, a lean mean 145 lbs.

And how old are you again?

18 and an idiot.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ May 12 2012, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 12 2012, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ May 12 2012, 02:59 PM)
I skip breakfast, eat a small lunch, have a small snack, then eat a reasonably large meal. And look, a lean mean 145 lbs.

And how old are you again?

18 and an idiot.

Nah, not an idiot. At your age though, with reasonable physical activity, you can eat almost anything you want. Just wait til you're in your late 30's wink.gif

I've lost over 60 lbs since September when I started going to the gym and watching what I eat and limiting alcohol. Small changes make a big difference. I eat smaller portions, and more low fat choices with more fruits and veggies. Now that my son is out of school for the summer I plan on walking in the morning before work and still going to the gym 3-4 times a week.

I am also planning on trying green coffee bean extract which has showed big promise is helping people lose weight with no side effects.

My "diet" has become a variation on what Michael Pollan espouses:

*Eat FOOD (real food, not low-fat, not low-carb, not sugar-free).

*Don't eat too much. Enjoy, and take your time.

*Eat mostly plants.

That's it. I feel really great and I'm not bloated or puffy anymore. I think I've lost some weight but I don't weigh myself, so...I do know my clothes are getting loose. I drink a LOT of water because I crave it. Otherwise, I'm enjoying my food more than ever, and I eat REAL food.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 17 2012, 09:58 AM)

*Eat mostly plants.

That's it. I feel really great and I'm not bloated or puffy anymore. I think I've lost some weight but I don't weigh myself, so...I do know my clothes are getting loose. I drink a LOT of water because I crave it. Otherwise, I'm enjoying my food more than ever, and I eat REAL food.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 17 2012, 08:58 AM)

*Eat mostly plants.

I've actually been working back to that myself, eating FOOD. I'm not a big fan of fast food or packaged food, but its there, its quick...blah blah.

My blood pressure has gone up a tick lately, my cholesterol has always been high (familial), and I realize, except for the occassional go round with WW, I've been about the same weight since my son was born. This was a revelation to me! As I've been only about 15lbs lighter than my current weight as far back as HS, I may be fighting a losing battle. So, back to basics.

Softball season started, weather is warmer so I can do my walking again, my son is older so I can leave him for a spell if I want to Zumba or Yoga... I drink water every day cause there is a water cooler and 3 cases of water stored 3 steps away from my desk.

The biggest obstacle for me is changing my internal dialogue, which is much more negative than positive. That and wine. smile.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ May 17 2012, 11:38 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 17 2012, 08:58 AM)

*Don't eat too much.  Enjoy, and take your time.
*Eat mostly plants.

That's it.  I feel really great and I'm not bloated or puffy anymore.  I think I've lost some weight but I don't weigh myself, so...I do know my clothes are getting loose.  I drink a LOT of water because I crave it.  Otherwise, I'm enjoying my food more than ever, and I eat REAL food.

I've actually been working back to that myself, eating FOOD. I'm not a big fan of fast food or packaged food, but its there, its quick...blah blah.

My blood pressure has gone up a tick lately, my cholesterol has always been high (familial), and I realize, except for the occassional go round with WW, I've been about the same weight since my son was born. This was a revelation to me! As I've been only about 15lbs lighter than my current weight as far back as HS, I may be fighting a losing battle. So, back to basics.

Softball season started, weather is warmer so I can do my walking again, my son is older so I can leave him for a spell if I want to Zumba or Yoga... I drink water every day cause there is a water cooler and 3 cases of water stored 3 steps away from my desk.

The biggest obstacle for me is changing my internal dialogue, which is much more negative than positive. That and wine. smile.gif

I love a nice Cabernet. Beer used to be my downfall, now it is wine. trink38.gif

I've changed my blog direction and am now trying to chronicle my quest for real food and better cooking ideas/techniques.

Just in case anybody's interested. smile.gif Link in my sig.

Love the blog..thanks!

*How is that homemade taco seasoning? Think I want to give it a try

Edited by Khan

QUOTE (Khan @ May 23 2012, 09:45 AM)
Love the blog..thanks!

*How is that homemade taco seasoning? Think I want to give it a try

I don't know about that one specifically, but I'll say this: if you're buying packets of taco seasoning at the store, you're wasting money and getting an inferior product. It's such a simple thing to blend spices into your own seasoning, and cheaper in the long run, too.

mmmm... tacos.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 23 2012, 11:31 AM)
I've changed my blog direction and am now trying to chronicle my quest for real food and better cooking ideas/techniques.

Just in case anybody's interested. smile.gif Link in my sig.

Excellent Blog GG!

Thanks...it was a great read. I too, have been finding myself more and more concentrated on what I'm eating, so it's great to read about REAL FOOD! smile.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 23 2012, 12:00 PM)
QUOTE (Khan @ May 23 2012, 09:45 AM)
Love the blog..thanks!

*How is that homemade taco seasoning?  Think I want to give it a try

I don't know about that one specifically, but I'll say this: if you're buying packets of taco seasoning at the store, you're wasting money and getting an inferior product. It's such a simple thing to blend spices into your own seasoning, and cheaper in the long run, too.

mmmm... tacos.

Yep...you're right. I'm guilty of this for sure.

I love me some tacos...but these mixes are also extremely high in sodium as well. I want to find a more natural approach as well.

QUOTE (Khan @ May 23 2012, 10:45 AM)
Love the blog..thanks!

*How is that homemade taco seasoning?  Think I want to give it a try

It's great, absolutely. Took all of 5 minutes to mix it up. yes.gif

And thanks for reading, you guys! Leave comments! Get more traffic there! smile.gif

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ May 12 2012, 03:59 PM)

When I was your age, I ate everything in sight, whole frozen pizzas, ice cream, 12 pack of beer. It didn't matter, I was 6'3'' and a whopping 150 lbs.

Fast forward 22 years, and I eat half as much, and rarely drink, and I'm pushing 240 lbs.

It's easy to be slim before 30. It's really hard to lose after 40. scared.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 12 2012, 10:33 PM)
I eat breakfast, then second breakfast, then elevenses, lunch, tea, then dinner, and then supper. And I look like a hobbit. But taller!

Crikey! .. you don't have a stomach - more like a bottomless pit... sure your not feeding a Tape Worm or something ?

QUOTE (Fred Star @ May 24 2012, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 12 2012, 10:33 PM)

Crikey! .. you don't have a stomach - more like a bottomless pit... sure your not feeding a Tape Worm or something ?

The dude must be around 20.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ May 24 2012, 10:03 AM)
100 Days of Real Foods

I found this on Pinterest, and thought you might be interested GG.

Yes, I love that site. I got the whole wheat cookie recipe from there. smile.gif