Diets

Gompers

So has anyone tried any of those supplements for losing that extra 10 pounds? Like Hydroxycut or this new Green Tea pill?

I have been working out daily and can't seem to get rid some core weight.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 13 2012, 11:39 AM)
So has anyone tried any of those supplements for losing that extra 10 pounds? Like Hydroxycut or this new Green Tea pill?

What I've found over the past year is that what you eat is more important than what you lift. laugh.gif Going to the the gym helps you lose weight, but at least 75% of the weight loss solution comes from what's on your plate at home.

You can lose weight on just about every diet you've heard of, but most aren't viable for the long-term; you eventually break the diet, can't KEEP the weight off, gain the weight back, and usually gain more than you started with. Yo-yo dieting is a real problem.

You need to find a nutritional program that you can maintain for life. There are a couple of effective ones which use your Glycemic Index - maintaining a consistent blood sugar level throughout the day. The advantage to these diets are that you can stay on them for life, eat just about every food you love (no restriction of entire food groups, a'la Atkins, and no starvation), and maintain a consistent weight. Two diets like this are Mark Macdonald's "Venice Nutrition" program and the infomercial for "Food Lover's Fat Loss System."

Just about everything else I've seen won't work, or will only work for the short term. I don't even WANT to know what the full story is with that Sensa stuff, the infomercial for a white powder you sprinkle on your meals, which supposedly helps you lose weight while still eating all the junk food in sight! laugh.gif Stuff like that can't be real, or good for you.

The other permanent solutions are too extreme for most: an entirely plant-based diet, or close to it. The Zone Diet uses all food groups, but mostly plants. And then there's all-out vegetarianism. (Ever see an obese vegetarian?)

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 13 2012, 01:02 PM)

What I've found over the past year is that what you eat is more important than what you lift. laugh.gif Going to the the gym helps you lose weight, but at least 75% of the weight loss solution comes from what's on your plate at home.

You can lose weight on just about every diet you've heard of, but most aren't viable for the long-term; you eventually break the diet, can't KEEP the weight off, gain the weight back, and usually gain more than you started with. Yo-yo dieting is a real problem.

You need to find a nutritional program that you can maintain for life. There are a couple of effective ones which use your Glycemic Index - maintaining a consistent blood sugar level throughout the day. The advantage to these diets are that you can stay on them for life, eat just about every food you love (no restriction of entire food groups, a'la Atkins, and no starvation), and maintain a consistent weight. Two diets like this are Mark Macdonald's "Venice Nutrition" program and the infomercial for "Food Lover's Fat Loss System."

Just about everything else I've seen won't work, or will only work for the short term. I don't even WANT to know what the full story is with that Sensa stuff, the infomercial for a white powder you sprinkle on your meals, which supposedly helps you lose weight while still eating all the junk food in sight! laugh.gif Stuff like that can't be real, or good for you.

The other permanent solutions are too extreme for most: an entirely plant-based diet, or close to it. The Zone Diet uses all food groups, but mostly plants. And then there's all-out vegetarianism. (Ever see an obese vegetarian?)

I lift and run/bike/eliptical. My diet has cut out most fats and gone heavier on fruit and veggies. I have never been heavy but I am solid. Actually someone called me thick, in relation to my body size. At 5'7" and 170lbs, I don't think I am too overweight. I am actually thinking about getting one of those waist sweat belts too.

I stopped drinking beer for the most part and drink mostly red wine when I drink. I am thinking dropping alcohol completely would help. I don't like that option. I try to drink 24 oz of water a day too.

On the working out side of things, I really was getting into running but now when I do, I am very sore for days. I don't get it. I was doing so good. I was up to three miles straight. That is a lifetime record for distance for me. I wanted to do a 5K but this soreness really bothers me.

When I lift, I pretty much use the machines and not dead weights and only do upper body. I just started working on core using that huge ball thing that seems to be the rage. Someone told me kettleball is good.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 13 2012, 11:02 AM)
(Ever see an obese vegetarian?)

My best friend Allison has been a vegetarian since high school. Her weight has yo-yo'ed over the years, but she's currently about 225 pounds on a 5'10" frame.

So yeah, I've seen an overweight vegetarian. The notion that all vegetarians are healthy and maintaining a proper healthy weight is a myth.

You know what's vegetarian? Doritos. No meat there. Twinkies are totally okay for a vegetarian, too. Donuts, yes. Snickers. Coca-Cola, Dr. Pepper and BEER! Beer is totally fine for a vegetarian.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 13 2012, 01:18 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 13 2012, 11:02 AM)
(Ever see an obese vegetarian?)

My best friend Allison has been a vegetarian since high school. Her weight has yo-yo'ed over the years, but she's currently about 225 pounds on a 5'10" frame.

So yeah, I've seen an overweight vegetarian. The notion that all vegetarians are healthy and maintaining a proper healthy weight is a myth.

You know what's vegetarian? Doritos. No meat there. Twinkies are totally okay for a vegetarian, too. Donuts, yes. Snickers. Coca-Cola, Dr. Pepper and BEER! Beer is totally fine for a vegetarian.

So is vodka. Also it's kosher for Passover (which beer, being a grain product, is not).

Not to derail, though.

I hate the word "diet", since it implies what we've come to think of as a short-term modification (usually involving some extreme degree of deprivation) of eating habits. I've done variations on Atkins myself when I was bodybuilding; of course, we are talking extreme fat loss for competition. Life at 4% bodyfat was not a lot of fun, and most people can't eat that way for too long.

I do enjoy eating reasonably well for 6 days/week and then allowing a "cheat" day. Not to be confused with a "gorge-yourself-senseless" day, though those are fun on rare occasions (think holidays).

Sleep is key also. A recent study showed that people who are sleep-deprived have a lower overall metabolic rate. Essentially, lack of sleep means your weary body spends a lot of time in "resting" metabolism. I believe the numbers showed that can lead to weight gain of as much as 12 lbs/year.

The only fat-burn supplement I ever used was Ephedra (yes, I bought the black market stuff and it was only for pre-competition burns). It works, but obviously I do not recommend it for a number of reasons. The effects are also short-term - you start needing more and more of it.

As much of a hard time as I'm giving GeddyRulz right now, he is absolutely right about the core of his argument: eat right, exercise and you'll be healthy. Our definitions of "right" may be slightly different, but we're not that far off when it comes right down to it.

Eat good food, get off the couch. You don't need fad diets or pills if you're looking for an average (read: non-body-building) shape and a healthy lifestyle.

It's not as easy as all that, of course... if it was, nobody would be overweight and there wouldn't be an industry of people trying to push diet pills on people.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 13 2012, 12:18 PM)

We're taking the argument from the Vegetarian thread and moving it here, yes? laugh.gif

Your friend Allison is... let's be kind to her and put it mildly... dippy. Most vegetarians I know, if anything, are TOO THIN. Anyone who's educated themselves about the health problems of animal meat (i.e., most vegetarians) usually has long ago educated themselves (or developed the common sense) to know that Snickers and Twinkies and soda and even bottled fruit juice (all contain HFCS) are worse.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 13 2012, 01:43 PM)

We're taking the argument from the Vegetarian thread and moving it here, yes? laugh.gif

Your friend Allison is... let's be kind to her and put it mildly... dippy. Most vegetarians I know, if anything, are TOO THIN. Anyone who's educated themselves about the health problems of animal meat (i.e., most vegetarians) usually has long ago educated themselves (or developed the common sense) to know that Snickers and Twinkies and soda and even bottled fruit juice (all contain HFCS) are worse.

You're right, she's a little dippy. No argument. I've known her 20 years, she's definitely a little dippy tongue.gif. But I wouldn't be too quick to say that most vegetarians have educated themselves. A lot of them do it because they don't want to eat food with a face, or because of the inhumane treatment of animals, or even because they're rebelling against their parents. Many have no idea what they're doing and end up sick because they're not paying enough attention - they think that just not-eating-meat is enough to survive on, and it's not.

And I'll betcha... I'll just betcha that if you ask anyone on the street, vegetarian or otherwise, if bottled juices are healthy they'll say yes. And those that don't will say "well, it's better than drinking soda". That's the food industry manipulating people, tricking them into thinking that something is healthy when it's not (which goes right back into the discussion in the other thread about government regulation and laws).

I'll take it back to the other thread if you will wink.gif lol

When you said "have you ever seen an overweight vegetarian" it was too much and I couldn't resist tongue.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 13 2012, 12:48 PM)
I hate the word "diet", since it implies what we've come to think of as a short-term modification (usually involving some extreme degree of deprivation) of eating habits. I've done variations on Atkins myself when I was bodybuilding; of course, we are talking extreme fat loss for competition. Life at 4% bodyfat was not a lot of fun, and most people can't eat that way for too long.

I do enjoy eating reasonably well for 6 days/week and then allowing a "cheat" day. Not to be confused with a "gorge-yourself-senseless" day, though those are fun on rare occasions (think holidays).

Sleep is key also. A recent study showed that people who are sleep-deprived have a lower overall metabolic rate. Essentially, lack of sleep means your weary body spends a lot of time in "resting" metabolism. I believe the numbers showed that can lead to weight gain of as much as 12 lbs/year.

4% body fat??? That's unhealthy for a man and very unhealthy for a woman! Too low!

The six days of "dieting" followed by a "cheat day" works; I lost 30 pounds last year doing that. The "diet days" were no-carb, similar to Atkins. Now I eat a little bit of carbs again and try to be reasonable about portions. I've finally added more veggies, too. My version of "no carb dieting" was a Protein Feast. Cut the carbs, had one salad a day, and filled up on eggs, meat, and protein bars. I lost the weight, but... healthy? Ummmm...

Good tip about the sleep. I need to be better with that. I keep meaning to get better sleep habits.

I try to drink 24 oz of water a day too.

Along with sleep, this is another thing. Water! 24 ounces is too little. At your size and with your muscle-building goals, you should actually be drinking almost 100 ounces per day! Yes, that's a lot, but I'm not kidding.

Every fitness/nutrition book tells you to drink lots of water. We see that advice so much, we zip right past it. "Yeah, yeah... water. Whatever." But it's key. It's in those books for a reason. It gets into the muscle and helps get the protein into the muscle.

I recently purchased a scale after 20 years of not worrying about how much I weighed when one of my Dr's. said, (who btw, is shorter and heavier than I am) "It wouldn't hurt you to lose 10 lbs." (Oh really?.... bitchslap.gif )

I haven't been on a diet since high school, where the diet then was starvation.

I'm just looking for a balance. Or, even better, how to cope with the 40-ish something metabolism kicking in...

Where did it all go wrong? unsure.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 13 2012, 02:53 PM)
I'll just betcha that if you ask anyone on the street, vegetarian or otherwise, if bottled juices are healthy they'll say yes. And those that don't will say "well, it's better than drinking soda". That's the food industry manipulating people, tricking them into thinking that something is healthy when it's not

You're absolutely right. People think it's "juice" so it's healthy, or at least healthier than soda.

Just as bad, almost all of them. First or second ingredient: high fructose corn syrup. Poison!

QUOTE (librarian @ Apr 13 2012, 03:00 PM)
I recently purchased a scale after 20 years of not worrying about how much I weighed when one of my Dr's. said, (who btw, is shorter and heavier than I am) "It wouldn't hurt you to lose 10 lbs." (Oh really?.... bitchslap.gif )

I haven't been on a diet since high school, where the diet then was starvation.
I'm just looking for a balance. Or, even better, how to cope with the 40-ish something metabolism kicking in...

Where did it all go wrong? unsure.gif laugh.gif

Starvation isn't the way to go; it actually makes us heavier. People need to eat to lose weight, as contradictory as that sounds to some.

When Yo-Yo Dieters starve themselves, their body gets the signal: "We better store some fat! The famine is here!" It was our body's built-in survival mechanism back in the Dark Ages, and today we still have the mechanism although we no longer have famine. This is one reason we're a fat society now: plenty of food, but no famine. laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 13 2012, 03:56 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 13 2012, 12:48 PM)
I hate the word "diet", since it implies what we've come to think of as a short-term modification (usually involving some extreme degree of deprivation) of eating habits. I've done variations on Atkins myself when I was bodybuilding; of course, we are talking extreme fat loss for competition.  Life at 4% bodyfat was not a lot of fun, and most people can't eat that way for too long. 

I do enjoy eating reasonably well for 6 days/week and then allowing a "cheat" day.  Not to be confused with a "gorge-yourself-senseless" day, though those are fun on rare occasions (think holidays).

Sleep is key also.  A recent study showed that people who are sleep-deprived have a lower overall metabolic rate.  Essentially, lack of sleep means your weary body spends a lot of time in "resting" metabolism.  I believe the numbers showed that can lead to weight gain of as much as 12 lbs/year.

4% body fat??? That's unhealthy for a man and very unhealthy for a woman! Too low!

The six days of "dieting" followed by a "cheat day" works; I lost 30 pounds last year doing that. The "diet days" were no-carb, similar to Atkins. Now I eat a little bit of carbs again and try to be reasonable about portions. I've finally added more veggies, too. My version of "no carb dieting" was a Protein Feast. Cut the carbs, had one salad a day, and filled up on eggs, meat, and protein bars. I lost the weight, but... healthy? Ummmm...

Good tip about the sleep. I need to be better with that. I keep meaning to get better sleep habits.

I try to drink 24 oz of water a day too.

Along with sleep, this is another thing. Water! 24 ounces is too little. At your size and with your muscle-building goals, you should actually be drinking almost 100 ounces per day! Yes, that's a lot, but I'm not kidding.

Every fitness/nutrition book tells you to drink lots of water. We see that advice so much, we zip right past it. "Yeah, yeah... water. Whatever." But it's key. It's in those books for a reason. It gets into the muscle and helps get the protein into the muscle.

The 4% bodyfat was only for competition! (The second it was over everyone made a mad dash for IHOP and glutted on carbs).

As for the green tea supplements... you can get the exact same jump start to your metabolism by just drinking 3+ cups of green tea daily. It's very good for breaking down fats plus it has a lot of anti-oxidants.

Intermittent fasting is your friend. I fast for 16 hours per day, and eat my maintenance calories in the 8 hour window between 12PM and 8PM (usually in 3 big meals). I have a ton of muscle mass that I want to maintain so I don't watch calories too much, but I'm cutting a bit to remove some latent body fat. In the 16 hours between 8PM and 12PM, I drink hot, brewed green tea, water, and coffee with very little to no milk. My body fat is dropping and my muscle mass and strength is not being lost either.

I highly recommend it. I never have that "hunger" feel, and I don't have to have a miserable diet either.

Also, drink a couple tsp. of raw, organic apple cider vinegar mixed with water after you eat for some extra body fat reduction. Forget supplements, they're worthless and the fat burning ones can be harmful and addictive.

Edited by GrandDesigner

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Apr 14 2012, 05:45 AM)
Intermittent fasting is your friend. I fast for 16 hours per day, and eat my maintenance calories in the 8 hour window between 12PM and 8PM (usually in 3 big meals). I have a ton of muscle mass that I want to maintain so I don't watch calories too much, but I'm cutting a bit to remove some latent body fat. In the 16 hours between 8PM and 12PM, I drink hot, brewed green tea, water, and coffee with very little to no milk. My body fat is dropping and my muscle mass and strength is not being lost either.

I highly recommend it. I never have that "hunger" feel, and I don't have to have a miserable diet either.

Also, drink a couple tsp. of raw, organic apple cider vinegar mixed with water after you eat for some extra body fat reduction. Forget supplements, they're worthless and the fat burning ones can be harmful and addictive.

Here's a question though... for someone with a lot of muscle mass and low body fat to begin with, that works. What about people who don't have a lot of muscle mass and have a massive body fat %? Their dietary needs for healthy weight loss... different? Or does this advice work for that body type as well? Metabolic rates for vastly different body types must be vastly different as well, yes?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 13 2012, 12:43 PM)

Most vegetarians I know are of-the-chub. They all love mac n cheese etc.

QUOTE (umoveme @ Apr 15 2012, 12:00 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 13 2012, 12:43 PM)

Most vegetarians I know are of-the-chub. They all love mac n cheese etc.

For that kind of vegetarian I don't see the point...unless they're just not eating meat for ethical reasons.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 14 2012, 01:41 PM)
Here's a question though... for someone with a lot of muscle mass and low body fat to begin with, that works. What about people who don't have a lot of muscle mass and have a massive body fat %? Their dietary needs for healthy weight loss... different? Or does this advice work for that body type as well? Metabolic rates for vastly different body types must be vastly different as well, yes?

I can't answer that intelligently as I've mainly researched it based on what my needs are. I assume it would work just as well for those with high bodyfat % and low muscle mass too, as you're not starving yourself, you're just compiling your daily calorie requirements into an 8 hour block, and can cut calories off to create a deficit conducive to fat loss. Obviously a healthy diet and exercise are essential for optimal results.

Most of my info has come from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

Intermittent fasting has been the greatest thing I've tried as far as fat loss goes (and not looking sickly), and I've done everything from eating 6 small meals per day, doing cardio on an empty stomach, eating three cans of tuna per day with veggies, etc.

QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Apr 15 2012, 08:35 AM)
Im actually trying to gain weight. Any healthy suggestions?

GOMAD

Honestly, that's probably not the healthiest way to go about it. But eating an excess of calories (especially of meats/proteins) is really the only way to gain weight.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Apr 14 2012, 07:45 AM)

See, I'm opposite. I do most of my eating earlier in the day. My big (and I do mean big, laugh.gif ) is lunch, usually between 1-2 pm. Sometimes I will have a nutrition bar right before/after my evening workout IF I am hungry.

Breakfast is hit/miss, I confess. Sometimes the idea of food in the morning just isn't appealing, and my coffee works just fine to keep me going til lunch.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Apr 15 2012, 09:27 AM)
QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Apr 15 2012, 08:35 AM)
Im actually trying to gain weight.  Any healthy suggestions?

GOMAD

Honestly, that's probably not the healthiest way to go about it. But eating an excess of calories (especially of meats/proteins) is really the only way to gain weight.

I agree. Increase your protein and calorie intake, and do more heavy weight training (as opposed to fat-burning, cardiovascular exercise). You'll want to add muscle mass, but without adding excess body fat. Heavy weight training will motivate your muscles to grow, and they'll need plenty of protein and water to do it.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 13 2012, 12:02 PM)

Yes, my sister!