• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 GeminiRising79

GeminiRising79

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2713 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

Does anyone think Neil should try for a boy?

Sponsored Post

#22 ghostworks

ghostworks

The God Of Pants

• Members
  • 13926 posts
  • Interests:sʇsǝɹǝʇuI

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 13 2012, 02:44 PM)
There's a bunch of bands that have used this same concept, although I cant think of any off hand that used a symbol for each specific song. That's kind of why I was surprised Hugh went with this concept, it's been used a LOT.

What I'm wondering though is if the symbols meanings have a direct link with each songs lyrics.

user posted image

#23 savagegrace26

savagegrace26

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5613 posts
  • Interests:film, photography, chaos...

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 13 2012, 02:44 PM)
There's a bunch of bands that have used this same concept, although I cant think of any off hand that used a symbol for each specific song. That's kind of why I was surprised Hugh went with this concept, it's been used a LOT.

What I'm wondering though is if the symbols meanings have a direct link with each songs lyrics.

Well he would have had to have a specific meaning for each song planned out two years when Caravan and BU2B were released since the positions of the symbols on the clock for the artwork then were the same as they are now. Since members of the bands have stated that the album was only going to have about eight songs at one point, that makes me think the symbol designation for each song was more arbitrary than having a real meaning. Unless the album evolved since then and Neil has since written the songs with the symbols in mind. Maybe he had a general outline way back then? I guess we'll find out whether there is any real significance for the symbols soon enough. But could just be arbitrary aesthetics.

#24 HowItIs

HowItIs

Goddess in our Garden

• Members *
  • 6072 posts
  • Interests:Well, Rush of course..... Other Prog bands including Genesis, Yes, ELP. Reading, always reading. Stephen King, Carl Hiaasen, any kind of Non-Fiction and, naturally, Neil's books. Collecting; Fenton glass, Frankoma pottery, Disneyland souvenirs. Movies; we have about 300 DVDs. Word puzzles; crosswords and the like. Politics; I'm a writer for a political blog and a proud Progressive.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

While Neptune is Neil's symbol, if you look at the bottom of the pictures in the TM Tour book, each guy has a symbol there. Neil's is Winter, Alex's is Air and Geddy's is a modified Infinity. Not sure why or what it means but I based the beads I made for my Clockwork Angels necklace on them.

If I ever get a tattoo, it's going to be that 3R with amalgamation symbol that showed up on their last tour.

yes.gif  That's the one I've decided on. Hope to get it before the tour.....

#25 Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 17 2012, 02:13 AM)
While Neptune is Neil's symbol, if you look at the bottom of the pictures in the TM Tour book, each guy has a symbol there. Neil's is Winter, Alex's is Air and Geddy's is a modified Infinity. Not sure why or what it means but I based the beads I made for my Clockwork Angels necklace on them.

If I ever get a tattoo, it's going to be that 3R with amalgamation symbol that showed up on their last tour.

I forgot about those, so I looked at my tourbook last night.  The scans of those pages are shown here: At Cygnus X-1 Website

The "modified infinity" looks like a lower case g for Geddy, the one for Alex is closest to an A and the one for Neil looks like the Greek letter pi, for Peart.  That's my guess, anyway.

#26 HowItIs

HowItIs

Goddess in our Garden

• Members *
  • 6072 posts
  • Interests:Well, Rush of course..... Other Prog bands including Genesis, Yes, ELP. Reading, always reading. Stephen King, Carl Hiaasen, any kind of Non-Fiction and, naturally, Neil's books. Collecting; Fenton glass, Frankoma pottery, Disneyland souvenirs. Movies; we have about 300 DVDs. Word puzzles; crosswords and the like. Politics; I'm a writer for a political blog and a proud Progressive.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 17 2012, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 17 2012, 02:13 AM)

I forgot about those, so I looked at my tourbook last night.  The scans of those pages are shown here: At Cygnus X-1 Website

The "modified infinity" looks like a lower case g for Geddy, the one for Alex is closest to an A and the one for Neil looks like the Greek letter pi, for Peart.  That's my guess, anyway.

A fair guess, too.  confused13.gif  

#27 Kelly D

Kelly D

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, painting, photography, knocking back a few tipples, taking trips out to sea with Men about Oars, bike-riding, tossing a Frisbee around, perfecting my swagger

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (The Big Money @ Apr 13 2012, 04:33 PM)
Great, this thread is turning into a science lesson. laugh.gif

Oh no! LEARNDING!  wacko.gif  

#28 snowdog2112

snowdog2112

Rush Video Archiver

• Members
  • 2988 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

This rock band's got me all fired up about literature and alchemy!  laugh.gif

#29 HowItIs

HowItIs

Goddess in our Garden

• Members *
  • 6072 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Apr 14 2012, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 13 2012, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (gornhay @ Apr 13 2012, 02:19 PM)
I notice NP seems to have adopted the Neptune symbol on his website. Does that mean Geddy and Alex will have their own symbol too?

How very Led Zep / Kiss, bet the Tattoo parlours can't wait.

Mmmmmm...  Alchemical Rush tattoo!

Speaking of.....

I'm wanting to get this tattoo this week. But I need a good picture of it. Can anyone help?

I'd check at the Rush Backstage shop but it seems to be down
confused13.gif  

#30 Weakly Criminal

Weakly Criminal

Stop voting republicRAT

• Members *
  • 13504 posts
  • Interests:Speaking truth to evil, partying, sports and outdoors, avoiding growing up.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 15 2012, 10:40 AM)
Does anyone think Neil should try for a boy?

I sure thought so back in the day, but I'm too old now.    cool.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on now folks, the day's of RUSH actually matching the symbols on the  packaging to the lyrics and meanings of the music are long gone. They're just throwing stuff up against the wall to make people wonder. They are the egg men. They are the walrus.

And I will be paying to see their tour yet again as they are still the baddest mamma jammas in the land.  

#31 $2112.00

$2112.00

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Notice the time is set to 9:12 (21:12)

smile.gif Nice.

#32 Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE ($2112.00 @ Apr 28 2012, 10:41 AM)
Notice the time is set to 9:12 (21:12)

smile.gif Nice.

ZOMG!  No way!  How cool is that?!  I can't believe nobody pointed that out yet.  I wonder what that means.

#33 $2112.00

$2112.00

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

Must mean they'll be playing 2112, just like to dog means they'll play signals! Lets put it in the false rumors thread!

#34 ColdFireYYZ

ColdFireYYZ

Prog Hipster

• Members
  • 6174 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 11:21 AM)
This rock band's got me all fired up about literature and alchemy!  laugh.gif

laugh.gif  

#35 canadianice

canadianice

The Professor

• Members
  • 3421 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 13 2012, 04:35 PM)
QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 13 2012, 03:34 PM)
Don't worry. Somebody will start new threads for each symbol in the next day or two.

Oi, that reminds me...

bolt.gif

pokey.gif  

#36 Running Rebel

Running Rebel

Faithless

• Members
  • 23934 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 13 2012, 12:06 PM)
This was posted over at Counterparts back when these symbols first came out.  I thought it might be worth re-posting here.  Keep in mind, the numbers shown below are not the track numbers, but the clock face position.

The Time Machine Symbols Revealed
~ by GhostWorks ~

In my research I found almost all of these in comprehensive alchemical symbol dictionaries. Here, then, are the Symbols defined by their placement on the gearwheel clock (pictured below).

12 Copper

1 Sulphur

2 Annealing

3 Mercury

4 Winter

5 Zinc

6 Sun

7 Aqua

8 Oil Essence

9 Neptune

10 Gold

11 Earth

And now, the details:

12 O'Clock > Copper: The elemental alchemy symbol for copper is also the planetary symbol for Venus. As such, this symbol embodies such characteristics as love, balance, feminine beauty, and artistic creativity.
source > http://www.whats-you...my-symbols.html

1 O'Clock > Sulphur: Inside gold is the alchemical Sun. Inside the Sun is an active substance, sulfur. Sometimes alchemists equal sulfur with the Sun. Sulfur is the spirit of life. Sulfur is of a two-fold nature: white and red sulfur. White sulfur is the substance of the Great Work at the phase of Whiteness, and red sulfur at the stage of redness.

In general sulfur is the symbol for the active principle in the Great Work.
source > http://www.soul-guid...n/alchemy_5.htm

2 O'Clock > Annealing: Purification by fire
source > http://www.purplehel...ols/alchemy.htm

Also of note: Geddy Lee (Leo) - Leo's element is fire

3 O'Clock > Mercury: ... alchemists would heat elemental mercury with nitric acid to prepare mercuric oxide. The reaction produced a thick red vapor which hovered over the surface of the solution, while the mercuric oxide precipitated and fell to the bottom of the liquid in the form of bright red crystals. Mercury was believed to transcend the liquid and solid states. The belief carried over into other areas, as mercury was thought to transcend life/death and heaven/earth.
source > http://chemistry.abo...a/alchemyhg.htm

Also of note: Mercury is the ruling planet of Virgo (both Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart are Virgos)

4 O'Clock > Winter: An old Germanic time sign for winter...
source > http://www.symbols.c...ia/06/0615.html

5 O'Clock: > Zinc (AL) Philosophers' wool, or nix alba (white snow) was zinc oxide made by burning zinc in air.
source > http://www.ancient-s...my_symbols.html

6 O'Clock > Sun (or Gold*): Often interchangeable - many reference guides show multiple Symbols for both and/or same Symbols with either name. I'm assuming Sun is what was intended in this case, as Gold is assuredly the 10 O' Clock symbol.
- gw

Also of note: Geddy Lee (Leo) - Leo's ruling 'planet' is the Sun

7 O'Clock > Aqua or Aquarius: Water, of course.

8 O'Clock > Oil Essence: Spagyric is a name given to the production of herbal medicines using alchemical procedures. These procedures involve fermentation, distillation and the extraction of mineral components from the ash of the plant. These processes were in use in medieval alchemy generally for the separation and purification of metals from ores (see Calcination), and salts from brines and other aqueous solutions.
source > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spagyric

9 O'Clock > Neptune (also Nirvana): Neptune, the planet of deception and spiritual enlightenment, rules the oppressed and abandoned: the misfits of society. On a higher level he rules visionaries, and those who are glamorous and charismatic. Neptune represents spirituality, mysticism, and ideals.
source > http://www.astrology...om/neptune.html

Also: ...Neptune is also supposed to rule plants used for the purpose of intoxication, such as Indian hemp, i.e. marijuana, the coca bush, the opium poppy, the peyote cactus, and the psilocybine mushroom. Anatomically thy symbol rules such bodily functions as the pineal glands and those parts of the nervous system that are sensitive to psychic impulses and related to the aura.

Everything with boundaries that are in one way or another undefined or unclear is ruled by this planet, for instance, gases, dreams, fantasy, vague hunches, etc. It is the symbol for escapism, drug intoxication, and glamour, as well as for high ideals and ideal love.
source > http://www.symbols.c...dia/05/057.html

10 O'Clock > Gold: Gold is one of the seven metals of alchemy (gold, silver, mercury, copper, lead, iron & tin). For the alchemist, it represented the perfection of all matter on any level, including that of the mind, spirit, and soul. The symbol for gold could also be used to represent the sun in astrology.
source > http://www.alchemyla.../dictionary.htm

11 O'Clock > Earth: Earth is one of the Four Elements of alchemy. Earth in the alchemical sense carries the archetypal properties of manifestation, birth, and material creation.
source > www.alchemylab.com/dictionary.htm

...earth was associated with dry, cold, and melancholy.
http://chemistry.abo...hemy-Symbol.htm

Also of note: both Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart are Virgos - Virgo's element is Earth

And: The symbol in the Rush logo itself (the letter 'U') is actually the alchemical symbol for Amalgamation: "a mixture, merger or consolidation" and "amalgamation combines mercury and another element..."

Also of note: Mercury = Virgo = Peart & Lifeson and Sun = Leo = Lee (so another nod to the 'togetherness' of the band etc.)

I think 1 should be Brimstone, instead of Sulphur. I know they are basically the same thing, but I think Brimstone is more often associated with the Soul rather than the Sun. (BU2B falls here) Then given the "trial by fire" at 2 O'clock is followed by the 3 O'clock transcending . . . dunno, just seems to fit better as Brimstone. And, it sounds cooler.

Then, the near death of Winter, followed by the rebirth, washed white as snow and, the Sun (giver of life), washed in the water at 7 and separating the impurities at 8, leads to Neptune (or the NEP tune, as Neil Ellwood Peart is the one who is spiritually in tune) followed by perfect Gold here on Earth.

Awesome stuff and a shit load of possible tattoos!

#37 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 82910 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 29 2012, 04:26 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 11:21 AM)
This rock band's got me all fired up about literature and alchemy!  laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif  

#38 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1472 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

"This 'one of many possible worlds' is driven by steam, intricate clockworks, and alchemy. That last element occurred to me because I was intrigued by Diane Ackerman's use of a few alchemical symbols as chapter heads in An Alchemy of Mind. They seemed elegant, mysterious, and powerful. Soon I learned about an entire set of runic hieroglyphs for elements and processes, and as with the tarot cards for Vapor Trails, and the Hindu game of Leela for Snakes and Arrows, I became fascinated with an ancient tradition. As the lyrical 'chapters' came together, I chose one symbol to represent each of them, for the character or mood. Those would end up arrayed on the cover clockface, as first used on the 'Caravan'/'BU2B' single in early 2010. Since then they have shifted a little, as the story has grown, but you can find brimstone at one o'clock for the faith-bashing 'BU2B,' gold at six o'clock for 'Seven Cities of Gold,' earth at eleven o'clock for 'The Garden,' and so on. (The '' in Rush stands for 'amalgamation.') - Neil Peart, Clockwork Angels Tourbook

Am I imagining things (my CD booklet is at home) but doesn't the booklet list "Halo Effect" with the 6:00 Gold symbol?  I seem to recall these symbols are off a bit in the booklet - gotta check it - anyone notice?

#39 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1472 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

OK, I checked my CD booklet - sure enough, Seven Cities of Gold gets it's own symbol that is not on the cover (sort of a circle with a dot in it.)  Halo Effect takes the 6:00 symbol - and actually The Pedlar gets the 3:00 symbol.

Don't know what the significance of that is - but this doesn't jive with what Neil wrote in the tourbook (that 7CoG got the 6:00 symbol...)

#40 TheAnalogDad

TheAnalogDad

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

This is all great info. I have a question... on the Hugh Syme page 8-9 gatefold art, there's a Mourning Dove (I think) in the Aquarius pane of the clocktower glass. 1) Do I have the right bird breed? 2) What meaning does that shine on Aquarius and on "The Wreckers" for which the song is associated... this is gonna sound weird, but something about that part of that piece of art won't let me go.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users