Alchemical symbol meaning?

Lost In Xanadu

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/rush-clockwork-angels-album-cover.jpg

Searching the Internet... This is what I have seen:

1. Caravan(5:40) - Sulphur

2. BU2B(5:10) - Anneal

3. Clockwork Angels(7:31) - mercury

4. The Anarchist(6:52) - ?

5. Carnies(4:52) - Zinc

6. Halo Effect(3:14) - ?

7. Seven Cities Of Gold(6:32) - multiplication

8. The Wreckers(5:01) - essense

9. Headlong Flight(7:20) - Neptune

10. BU2B2(1:28) - tin

11. Wish Them Well(5:25) - water

12. The Garden(6:59) - copper

This was posted over at Counterparts back when these symbols first came out. I thought it might be worth re-posting here. Keep in mind, the numbers shown below are not the track numbers, but the clock face position.

The Time Machine Symbols Revealed
~ by GhostWorks ~

In my research I found almost all of these in comprehensive alchemical symbol dictionaries. Here, then, are the Symbols defined by their placement on the gearwheel clock (pictured below).

12 Copper

1 Sulphur

2 Annealing

3 Mercury

4 Winter

5 Zinc

6 Sun

7 Aqua

8 Oil Essence

9 Neptune

10 Gold

11 Earth

And now, the details:

12 O'Clock > Copper: The elemental alchemy symbol for copper is also the planetary symbol for Venus. As such, this symbol embodies such characteristics as love, balance, feminine beauty, and artistic creativity.
source > http://www.whats-you...my-symbols.html

1 O'Clock > Sulphur: Inside gold is the alchemical Sun. Inside the Sun is an active substance, sulfur. Sometimes alchemists equal sulfur with the Sun. Sulfur is the spirit of life. Sulfur is of a two-fold nature: white and red sulfur. White sulfur is the substance of the Great Work at the phase of Whiteness, and red sulfur at the stage of redness.

In general sulfur is the symbol for the active principle in the Great Work.
source > http://www.soul-guid...n/alchemy_5.htm

2 O'Clock > Annealing: Purification by fire
source > http://www.purplehel...ols/alchemy.htm

Also of note: Geddy Lee (Leo) - Leo's element is fire

3 O'Clock > Mercury: ... alchemists would heat elemental mercury with nitric acid to prepare mercuric oxide. The reaction produced a thick red vapor which hovered over the surface of the solution, while the mercuric oxide precipitated and fell to the bottom of the liquid in the form of bright red crystals. Mercury was believed to transcend the liquid and solid states. The belief carried over into other areas, as mercury was thought to transcend life/death and heaven/earth.
source > http://chemistry.abo...a/alchemyhg.htm

Also of note: Mercury is the ruling planet of Virgo (both Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart are Virgos)

4 O'Clock > Winter: An old Germanic time sign for winter...
source > http://www.symbols.c...ia/06/0615.html

5 O'Clock: > Zinc (AL) Philosophers' wool, or nix alba (white snow) was zinc oxide made by burning zinc in air.
source > http://www.ancient-s...my_symbols.html

6 O'Clock > Sun (or Gold*): Often interchangeable - many reference guides show multiple Symbols for both and/or same Symbols with either name. I'm assuming Sun is what was intended in this case, as Gold is assuredly the 10 O' Clock symbol.
- gw

Also of note: Geddy Lee (Leo) - Leo's ruling 'planet' is the Sun

7 O'Clock > Aqua or Aquarius: Water, of course.

8 O'Clock > Oil Essence: Spagyric is a name given to the production of herbal medicines using alchemical procedures. These procedures involve fermentation, distillation and the extraction of mineral components from the ash of the plant. These processes were in use in medieval alchemy generally for the separation and purification of metals from ores (see Calcination), and salts from brines and other aqueous solutions.
source > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spagyric

9 O'Clock > Neptune (also Nirvana): Neptune, the planet of deception and spiritual enlightenment, rules the oppressed and abandoned: the misfits of society. On a higher level he rules visionaries, and those who are glamorous and charismatic. Neptune represents spirituality, mysticism, and ideals.
source > http://www.astrology...om/neptune.html

Also: ...Neptune is also supposed to rule plants used for the purpose of intoxication, such as Indian hemp, i.e. marijuana, the coca bush, the opium poppy, the peyote cactus, and the psilocybine mushroom. Anatomically thy symbol rules such bodily functions as the pineal glands and those parts of the nervous system that are sensitive to psychic impulses and related to the aura.

Everything with boundaries that are in one way or another undefined or unclear is ruled by this planet, for instance, gases, dreams, fantasy, vague hunches, etc. It is the symbol for escapism, drug intoxication, and glamour, as well as for high ideals and ideal love.
source > http://www.symbols.c...dia/05/057.html

10 O'Clock > Gold: Gold is one of the seven metals of alchemy (gold, silver, mercury, copper, lead, iron & tin). For the alchemist, it represented the perfection of all matter on any level, including that of the mind, spirit, and soul. The symbol for gold could also be used to represent the sun in astrology.
source > http://www.alchemyla.../dictionary.htm

11 O'Clock > Earth: Earth is one of the Four Elements of alchemy. Earth in the alchemical sense carries the archetypal properties of manifestation, birth, and material creation.
source > www.alchemylab.com/dictionary.htm

...earth was associated with dry, cold, and melancholy.
http://chemistry.abo...hemy-Symbol.htm

Also of note: both Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart are Virgos - Virgo's element is Earth

And: The symbol in the Rush logo itself (the letter 'U') is actually the alchemical symbol for Amalgamation:  "a mixture, merger or consolidation" and "amalgamation combines mercury and another element..."

Also of note: Mercury = Virgo = Peart & Lifeson and Sun = Leo = Lee (so another nod to the 'togetherness' of the band etc.)

I think 1 should be Brimstone, instead of Sulphur. I know they are basically the same thing, but I think Brimstone is more often associated with the Soul rather than the Sun. (BU2B falls here) Then given the "trial by fire" at 2 O'clock is followed by the 3 O'clock transcending . . . dunno, just seems to fit better as Brimstone. And, it sounds cooler.

Then, the near death of Winter, followed by the rebirth, washed white as snow and, the Sun (giver of life), washed in the water at 7 and separating the impurities at 8, leads to Neptune (or the NEP tune, as Neil Ellwood Peart is the one who is spiritually in tune) followed by perfect Gold here on Earth.

3 O'Clock > Mercury: ... alchemists would heat elemental mercury with nitric acid to prepare mercuric oxide. The reaction produced a thick red vapor which hovered over the surface of the solution

Is this where we get the cover from?

QUOTE (gornhay @ Apr 13 2012, 12:39 PM)
3 O'Clock > Mercury: ... alchemists would heat elemental mercury with nitric acid to prepare mercuric oxide. The reaction produced a thick red vapor which hovered over the surface of the solution

Dunno, could be.

When Caravan came out, I thought the 3 o'clock time, in addtion to being the "3" band members, pointing to Mercury was a subtle jab at their former label.

QUOTE (gornhay @ Apr 13 2012, 06:39 PM)

I was wondering that.... Maybe.

QUOTE (gornhay @ Apr 13 2012, 02:19 PM)
I notice NP seems to have adopted the Neptune symbol on his website. Does that mean Geddy and Alex will have their own symbol too?

How very Led Zep / Kiss, bet the Tattoo parlours can't wait.

Mmmmmm... Alchemical Rush tattoo!

There's a bunch of bands that have used this same concept, although I cant think of any off hand that used a symbol for each specific song. That's kind of why I was surprised Hugh went with this concept, it's been used a LOT.

What I'm wondering though is if the symbols meanings have a direct link with each songs lyrics.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 13 2012, 02:44 PM)
There's a bunch of bands that have used this same concept, although I cant think of any off hand that used a symbol for each specific song. That's kind of why I was surprised Hugh went with this concept, it's been used a LOT.

What I'm wondering though is if the symbols meanings have a direct link with each songs lyrics.

I thought the symbols were chosen for their meaning and relation to the song. I believe there was in interview on RIAB that mentioned this

I notice NP seems to have adopted the Neptune symbol on his website. Does that mean Geddy and Alex will have their own symbol too?

Neptune is very specific to Neil, as he mentioned in what he wrote a while back.

Nep - tune. NEP - tune. N-eil E-lwood P-eart tune. A tune for NEP. A Neptune.

So, unless Geddy and Alex's initials are another one of those symbols, there's not a fit already. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see them adopt the 3 and 6 positions for tour shirts or set dressing or something on the website, just for symmetry with Neil.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 13 2012, 02:25 PM)

If I ever get a tattoo, it's going to be that 3R with amalgamation symbol that showed up on their last tour.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Apr 14 2012, 09:37 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 13 2012, 02:25 PM)

If I ever get a tattoo, it's going to be that 3R with amalgamation symbol that showed up on their last tour.

That would be sweet!

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 13 2012, 03:29 PM)

Neptune is very specific to Neil, as he mentioned in what he wrote a while back.

Nep - tune. NEP - tune. N-eil E-lwood P-eart tune. A tune for NEP. A Neptune.

So, unless Geddy and Alex's initials are another one of those symbols, there's not a fit already. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see them adopt the 3 and 6 positions for tour shirts or set dressing or something on the website, just for symmetry with Neil.

I'm hoping they'll each be wearing giant foam rubber alchemical symbol costumes for the tour, a la Spinal Tap.

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/5/5/255_logo.jpg

Well he would have had to have a specific meaning for each song planned out two years when Caravan and BU2B were released since the positions of the symbols on the clock for the artwork then were the same as they are now. Since members of the bands have stated that the album was only going to have about eight songs at one point, that makes me think the symbol designation for each song was more arbitrary than having a real meaning. Unless the album evolved since then and Neil has since written the songs with the symbols in mind. Maybe he had a general outline way back then? I guess we'll find out whether there is any real significance for the symbols soon enough. But could just be arbitrary aesthetics.

While Neptune is Neil's symbol, if you look at the bottom of the pictures in the TM Tour book, each guy has a symbol there. Neil's is Winter, Alex's is Air and Geddy's is a modified Infinity. Not sure why or what it means but I based the beads I made for my Clockwork Angels necklace on them.

yes.gif That's the one I've decided on. Hope to get it before the tour.....

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 17 2012, 02:13 AM)
While Neptune is Neil's symbol, if you look at the bottom of the pictures in the TM Tour book, each guy has a symbol there. Neil's is Winter, Alex's is Air and Geddy's is a modified Infinity. Not sure why or what it means but I based the beads I made for my Clockwork Angels necklace on them.

yes.gif That's the one I've decided on. Hope to get it before the tour.....

I forgot about those, so I looked at my tourbook last night. The scans of those pages are shown here: At Cygnus X-1 Website

The "modified infinity" looks like a lower case g for Geddy, the one for Alex is closest to an A and the one for Neil looks like the Greek letter pi, for Peart. That's my guess, anyway.