Gompers

How do you rate Presto?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Presto?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Apr 12 2012, 05:44 PM)
Gave it an eight. Appeals to casual fans with things like The Pass, Show don't Tell and Superconductor, while also appealing to hardcore fans. Or at least more than HYF and RTB

I love the 2nd half of this record. Red tide, Hand Over Fist, and Available Light are probably my favourite sequence of Rush songs ever. Scars is an amazing song as well. Horribly underrated, especially when compared to the album that succeeded it.

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif I am a huge fan of Red Tide -> Hand Over Fist -> Available Light as well biggrin.gif

Chain Lightning is one of my favorite Rush songs. I can't give any Rush album lower than a 7 because I like them all. The thin production is not so great, but with time Presto and Roll The Bones have settled into their comfortable place in the catalog.

Overall amazing album, with the top 3(in my opinion) being: The Pass, Available light, & Presto (no order)

then

Great songs: War paint, Scars, chain lightning, show don't tell, anagram (for mongo)

good: Superconductor, red tide, hand over fist

overall: 9

2.gif

After 46 votes:

Rating = 6.93

I've never listened to Presto all the way through.... ph34r.gif

Can't seem to get through it without getting bored. Going to give it another chance though, right now.

I will say that I love the album cover... wub.gif I have a Presto t-shirt that my friend got me from a thrift store 'cause she knew I liked Rush. I'd hadn't even heard of the album at the time but always really liked the image.

Huh, it's been so long since I gave this album a chance... it's a lot better than I remember!

Chain Lightning.... groovy! common001.gif music.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 12 2012, 11:01 PM)
QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Apr 12 2012, 05:44 PM)
Gave it an eight. Appeals to casual fans with things like The Pass, Show don't Tell and Superconductor, while also appealing to hardcore fans. Or at least more than HYF and RTB

I love the 2nd half of this record. Red tide, Hand Over Fist, and Available Light are probably my favourite sequence of Rush songs ever. Scars is an amazing song as well. Horribly underrated, especially when compared to the album that succeeded it.

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif I am a huge fan of Red Tide -> Hand Over Fist -> Available Light as well biggrin.gif

Ditto.

trink39.gif

:lays hand over hand over hand:

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 12 2012, 06:07 PM)
As I have said many times, this was an album I did not like when it came out. I had loved HYF and this was such a change from it that I just could not get into it. Saw Rush on this tour (the 1st time I had seen them) and it just did not help. Then about 3 years ago this album and Counterparts (which I not liked either) both just clicked with me.

Both are great "growers". I think because of that they've aged better than some other efforts.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Apr 12 2012, 12:47 PM)
Despite the puny production like Roll the Bones, I think Presto had the better songwriting.

yes.gif

I think Neil really shines on most of this album in terms of lyrics (Anagram, not so much). Great playing from the boys, and a heavier production sound, like that of Counterparts, would make this album epic.

The production is a bit weak, but there's some good songs on Presto, a few drab ones, nothing terrible though. I'd give it a 7 overall.

Best songs: Presto, Chain Lightning, Show Don't Tell, Available Light, The Pass, War Paint, Red Tide.

I'd say 7. I really enjoy at least half the songs on the album. The production isn't very "Rush" but its a solid album. I like it much more than the albums it's between.

Have to give this one a 7. I'm not overly fond of War Paint. But the rest, I like. I LOVE the title tune and Scars.

Yes, I know the production is a bit thin but that suits the songs, IMO. This one is on heavy rotation in the car, too.

I voted 6 Basically cause of some of the songs were just not that great!

The Excellent:

-Show Don't Tell

-The Pass

-Presto

The Good:

-Chain Lightning

-Available Light

The OK:

-Scars

-War Paint

-Red Tide

-Superconductor