Rate Presto

Gompers

How do you rate Presto?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Presto?

Another Rush release that seems to get kicked by Rush fans more than other releases is Presto. I remember hearing Show Don't Tell on the car radio when driving home from work on the day it was released. Even though I was very excited, I found afterward that I had mixed feelings. To me the highs were too high and the sound was thin. This continued to be the issue when I bought and listened to the cassette (yes, cassette) at the time of the album's release. It wasn't a matter of poor radio reception. I also felt the tone of Rush's music and lyrics had changed again. I was just getting used to Hold Your Fire so I knew this one would take some time to get into, if I was going to be able to at all. After all these years, it is still near the bottom.

I rate it a 5.

The Excellent

-The Pass

The Good

-Presto

-Superconductor

The OK

-Show Don't Tell

-Chain Lightning

-War Paint

-Red Tide

The Not So Good

-Scars

-Anagram (for Mongo)

-Available Light

The Must be Avoided

-Hand Over Fist

Note: Like Vapor Trails, I firmly believe better production could have made this release much more listenable and not so grating on the ears after two songs. It also contain the very awesome song The Pass.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of Rush's efforts take a little while to grow on me, but I liked this one right from the start. Scars I've always tended to skip, and Superconductor is one of the very few Rush tunes that I seem to like less as time goes on, but the others have held up well. But while Available Light comes oh-so-close to being a great track, and Red Tide and Anagram are strong tunes, The Pass is really the only essential composition here. And Rupert Hine does his damage just as he later did on Roll the Bones; I often wonder just how great Show Don't Tell and Chain Lightning would sound had they been produced in the same manner as the songs on Counterparts.

Generally solid songwriting done in by lousy production leads to a 7 for this one.

Easily a 9 for me. My first concert, first album or cassette, which I wore out and had to buy another one. I love every song with the only song I just like being Available Light.

It's hard for me to remove myself from this being my first album and how amazed I was by it at the time and the memories that went with it. I just know that it's still in my rotation and I don't skip any songs including AL. And when I haven't heard it for a while, I go thru a few weeks of just listening to it alone.

I gave it a 7. Like Test for Echo, this one grew on me although I did like Show Don't Tell and The Pass from the get go. Depite the puny production like Roll the Bones, I think Presto had the better songwriting. I usually listen to the first 6 songs before I skip songs or stop altogether, but those tracks outdo Roll The Bones' first 6 tracks IMO in terms of enjoyment. At the moment, The Pass, Scars, and War Paint are my favorite tracks off the album.

8 for me. If I gave T4E a seven Presto has to get an 8. Chain Lightning is the most under-rated song in the Rush catalog. It is absolutley one of my fav Rush songs and along with Dreamline one of the best choruses they have ever come up with. Edited by presto123

Beautifully crafted album.

Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, The Pass, Scars, Presto, Red Tide, and Available Light are all stellar. The rest are at least good (and I can tolerate Superconductor).

Edited by savagegrace26

Compared to other Rush albums, I would give it a 1.

Overall, I would give it about 3.5 (I rounded up to 4 because I was feeling nice).

Gave it an eight. Appeals to casual fans with things like The Pass, Show don't Tell and Superconductor, while also appealing to hardcore fans. Or at least more than HYF and RTB

I love the 2nd half of this record. Red tide, Hand Over Fist, and Available Light are probably my favourite sequence of Rush songs ever. Scars is an amazing song as well. Horribly underrated, especially when compared to the album that succeeded it.

I gave it a 7. Would only rate it higher if it had "fuller" production. But SONG-wise, it's a pretty solid album, imo yes.gif

The Good:

Show Don't Tell

Chain Lightning

The Pass

Available Light

Presto

The OK

Scars

Anagram

Red Tide

Hand Over Fist

Superconductor

The NOT so Good

War Paint

I dunno...I was never able to dig War Paint. It just never really "clicked" with me confused13.gif

It's a 9. The production is pretty weak, and a few songs are forgettable.

But when it's on, it's on. Good song writing displayed here, and I enjoy this album more than many other Rush albums. I think it's probably my 4th favorite Rush album...

1) Vapor Trails

2) Grace Under Pressure

3) Counterparts

4) Presto

Those 3 albums switch spots all the time in my mind.

As I have said many times, this was an album I did not like when it came out. I had loved HYF and this was such a change from it that I just could not get into it. Saw Rush on this tour (the 1st time I had seen them) and it just did not help. Then about 3 years ago this album and Counterparts (which I not liked either) both just clicked with me. Very good album.

The Great

Presto (this song is on the low side of this grouping and has just joined it in the last 6 months or so)

The Good

The Pass

Scars

Red Tide

Available Light

Hand Over Fist

War Paint

Anagram

Show Don't Tell

Chain Lightning

Please note that not all "good" songs are created equal - its just a rough grouping.

The Ok.

Superconductor

The not so ok.

None

The Bad

None

Obviously I like the album and consider it to be very consistent.

I will rate it as an 8. A 9 does not feel right - yet. It is headed in that direction.

It is interesting to note that I have said that Presto, Counterparts and S&A all rate as 8's. I have also said elsewhere that S&A is the best album since HYF. What gives? Well all 3 rate as 8's because they don't make it to 8.5 so I am rounding down. Plus none of them feel like a 9. Yet. That being said, all 3 are very close together and all 3 are just short of 8.5. They are probably something like:

S&A - 8.48

Presto - 8.47

Counterparts - 8.46

As I have said, all 3 are on the rise so they may join the greats with a ranking of 9 very soon.

Presto is a one-of-a-kind Rush album that provides a distinct sound that you'll never hear again from the trio. Nice melodies, awesome sounds on guitar, drum, bass, etc. This album is very underrated.

Key tracks: "Show Don't Tell", "The Pass", "Scars", "Superconductor"