Rate Counterparts

Gompers

How do you rate Counterparts?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Counterparts?

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 10 2012, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 10 2012, 10:24 AM)
I gave it a 1.

A one-fingered salute.

It's appalling corporate rock. Disgraceful sell-out.

Typical Euro reaction to the album.

Can you explain how this is a typical "Euro" reaction? I didn't realise that all 300 odd million of us were so easy to predict eyesre4.gif

For the record I love this album and can not see how anyone could call it a corporate sellout either.

Counterparts

Animate - 3/5, .6

Stick it Out - 4/5, .8

Cut to the Chase, 4/5, .8

Nobody's Hero, 2/5, .4

Between Sun & Moon, 3/5, .6

Alien Shore, 2/5, .4

Speed of Love 1/5, .2

Double Agent, 3/5, .6

Leave That Thing Alone, 3/5, .6

Cold Fire, 2/5, .4

Everyday Glory, 1/5, .2

50%

QUOTE (zimmy77 @ Apr 22 2012, 04:11 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 10 2012, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 10 2012, 10:24 AM)
I gave it a 1.

A one-fingered salute.

It's appalling corporate rock. Disgraceful sell-out.

Typical Euro reaction to the album.

Can you explain how this is a typical "Euro" reaction? I didn't realise that all 300 odd million of us were so easy to predict eyesre4.gif

For the record I love this album and can not see how anyone could call it a corporate sellout either.

I think he's just trying to get a rise out of some of you.....no Rush fan s=would give Counterparts a 1

Excellent: Animate, Nobody's Hero, Everyday Glory, Leave That Thing Alone

Very Good: Double Agent, Cold Fire, Alien Shore, Cut To The Chase

Good: Stick It Out, Cold Fire, Between Sun & Moon,

(this ranking changes from time to time)

QUOTE (greyfriar @ May 4 2012, 11:36 AM)

Excellent: Animate, Nobody's Hero, Everyday Glory, Leave That Thing Alone
Very Good: Double Agent, Cold Fire, Alien Shore, Cut To The Chase
Good: Stick It Out, Cold Fire, Between Sun & Moon,

(this ranking changes from time to time)

So...Cold Fire can switch between 'good' and 'very good'? tongue.gif

Poor 'Speed of Love'...didn't even make the cut! laugh.gif

QUOTE (jnoble @ Apr 14 2012, 08:41 PM)
l love the production and a couple of the songs rock (Stick It Out, Between Sun and Moon, LTTA, Cut To The Chase, I even like Everyday Glory) but this was the start of Neil's lyrics not clicking with me anymore on many songs. It also contains the first Rush song that I immediatly hated ('Speed Of Love')

The tour was great though even if I wasn't crazy about the album as a whole. It was pretty dark and serious sounding after the optimisic and funky sound of RTB

I agree about the lyrics in many of the songs. I LOVE animate musically, but the lyrics were more like I was listening to a psych textbook being read to me. I guess the themes seemed less accessible to me. It's not that I hated or even disliked them, per se, I just had trouble connecting with them. They were almost trying too hard.

Then there was Speed of Love...did not care for the chorus. I skip that track every time just because of it.

I gave it a 9. I think it's a very solid album, and I don't usually skip over any tracks, even Speed of Love. But, most of the songs are just solid, nothing really sticks out to me, except Everyday Glory. If it weren't for that song, I would've given the album an 8, but Everyday Glory is just so damn good it bumps it up to a 9.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 14 2012, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Apr 14 2012, 01:03 AM)
QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 10 2012, 06:04 PM)
Geez...whats with all the negativity towards Nobody's Hero? confused13.gif

And please don't say it has anything to do with the "I knew he was different in his sexuality..." line...trust me - i have talked to a handful of people who have expressed their dislike for the song, JUST because of that lyric. Give me a break... eyesre4.gif

It is one of the worst intro lines in the history of rock music, not because of the subject matter, but because of the total lack of tact or creativity.

I like what the song becomes, love the chorus, and yet despise that intro line. Cringe-worthy...

goodpost.gif

Oh, and this. I sort of ignored Nobody's Hero for a while just because of that intro line. I thought it was just me, to be honest. But I eventually got past that and I enjoy the song now

QUOTE (staunchally @ May 8 2012, 12:41 PM)
1, due to its very dated 1993 sound. I obviously think of Melrose Place when listening to it.

At least you are consistent with your views.

QUOTE (staunchally @ May 8 2012, 12:41 PM)
1, due to its very dated 1993 sound. I obviously think of Melrose Place when listening to it.

Hi troll bekloppt.gif

You gave practically every album a 1. What are you doing on a Rush forum? Do you even like Rush?

Thanks for the bump, Gompers. I hadn't seen these polls.

CP got a 3 from me. It's not the album's fault, to some extent: for me, music is inextricably tied to memories, and whenever I listen to CP some really negative memories are dredged up from the mid-90s.

I want to like it, and I do play it occasionally hoping that my attitude will shift over time. But at the moment, Presto, RtB, CP, and S&A, in no particular order, occupy the lowest spots of my album rankings.

The Good

Animate

Leave That Thing Alone

Cold Fire

The Just Okay

Alien Shore

Cut to the Chase

The Bad

all the rest

Edit: I had forgotten to include Cut to the Chase in the "just okay" column.

Edited by Chronos

QUOTE (Chronos @ Jul 11 2012, 10:15 AM)
Thanks for the bump, Gompers. I hadn't seen these polls.

CP got a 3 from me. It's not the album's fault, to some extent: for me, music is inextricably tied to memories, and whenever I listen to CP some really negative memories are dredged up from the mid-90s.

I want to like it, and I do play it occasionally hoping that my attitude will shift over time. But at the moment, Presto, RtB, CP, and S&A, in no particular order, occupy the lowest spots of my album rankings.

The Good
Animate
Leave That Thing Alone
Cold Fire

The Just Okay
Alien Shore

The Bad
all the rest

I should revive the others.

6. for the 6 songs I like. I honestly think this would make a better EP. After Between Sun And Moon, I lose interest. Then Leave that Thing Alone happens which is great.....then....over yes.gif

Mick