Rate Counterparts

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate Counterparts? (168 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate Counterparts?

1. 1 (5 votes [2.98%])

Percentage of vote: 2.98%

2. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 (2 votes [1.19%])

Percentage of vote: 1.19%

4. 4 (6 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

5. 5 (9 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. 6 (12 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

7. 7 (26 votes [15.48%])

Percentage of vote: 15.48%

8. 8 (53 votes [31.55%])

Percentage of vote: 31.55%

9. 9 (39 votes [23.21%])

Percentage of vote: 23.21%

10. 10 (16 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 That One Guy

That One Guy

Straight Outta Sunnyvale

• Members *
  • 32509 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, guitar, camping, recreational driving, reading, companionship, travel, the occasional videogame

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

I've had a mixed CD with "The Speed Of Love" on it in my car for around a year now... I personally dig the tune. I would go so far as to say it would be a welcome addition to a future concert setlist.

A solid album. My personal dislike is Nobody's Hero.

I'd say 8/10.

Sponsored Post

#42 GuitarKid 1880

GuitarKid 1880

The Seeker

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

Solid 10, easily my favorite Rush ablum, with Presto and Grace Under Pressure not far behind.

Only somewhat weak track is The Speed of Love, but it does grow on you pretty quickly.  The rest is amazing, and I do honestly think Animate is in the Top 5 Overall Rush Songs list for me here.

#43 Mika

Mika

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1397 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 10 2012, 10:10 AM)
Speaking of Counterparts - anyone else but me want to see Double Agent and/or Cut To The Chase played this year on the upcoming tour??

I would love love love to have 'Cut to the Chase' live! Hey, there aren't that many songs from the album they haven't done live: 'Cut to the Chase', 'Alien Shore', 'Speed of Love', and 'Everyday Glory'.

A very solid album, IMO, and the second one I heard (Hemispheres being the first), so it brings back fond memories. I love the sound - thick, deep, and a little ballsy. Thankfully, when the album first came out, I would listen to the cassette without skipping any songs, so they are all equally listened to (I don't like it when I'm familiar with only the 'hits' from an album, which is the case with Metallica's Black Album - I always skip the popular songs from that one now!).

On a slightly coincidental side-note, 'Alien Shore' popped up on my music player yesterday and I realized for the first time how cool the bass sounds, sliding around. I love picking up on new ways that I love my Rush songs!

#44 Cyclonus X-1

Cyclonus X-1

Yurts >>>>>>> Gers

• Members *
  • 74853 posts
  • Interests:Music, literature, sports.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 10 2012, 08:13 PM)
Speaking of "The Speed of Love", why all the hate for the song??  Its one of the 3 best on the album (along with Cold Fire & Everyday Glory - these 3 are slightly better than Alien Shore). 

Could one of you haters of it try to please explain? 

I'm a big fan of the song, myself.  But I imagine that some folks aren't fond of the slow pace, lyrical repetition in the chorus, and "cheesy" subject matter.  Those were issues I had with the tune initially, but I came to really like the guitar sound and the vocal melodies, and I think the song makes for a nice change of pace within the context of so many distortion-heavy, fast-paced torpedoes.  

#45 metaldad

metaldad

Official TRF Chauffeur

• Members
  • 17165 posts
  • Interests:hanging out with my Wife, son and 2 girls . playing Drums , Beer, going to shows, Beer , Cooking , Beer , watching football , Beer , watching baseball, Beer , cranking Metal and Beer

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

#46 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10791 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Apr 11 2012, 06:12 AM)
Speaking of "The Speed of Love", why all the hate for the song??  Its one of the 3 best on the album (along with Cold Fire & Everyday Glory - these 3 are slightly better than Alien Shore). 

I'm a big fan of the song, myself.  But I imagine that some folks aren't fond of the slow pace, lyrical repetition in the chorus, and "cheesy" subject matter.  Those were issues I had with the tune initially, but I came to really like the guitar sound and the vocal melodies, and I think the song makes for a nice change of pace within the context of so many distortion-heavy, fast-paced torpedoes.

It lumbers a bit, although I like the song.  It could use a pace change dynamic somewhere in the tune, though.

Apparently the "speed of love" is slow.

#47 TheAccountant

TheAccountant

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1371 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 11 2012, 08:54 AM)
QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Apr 11 2012, 06:12 AM)

It lumbers a bit, although I like the song.  It could use a pace change dynamic somewhere in the tune, though.

Apparently the "speed of love" is slow.

Thanks for the explanations!!  I find that the slow, lumbering pace actually helps the song.  Would definitely not want all songs to be like that but on occasion I guess I like my slow songs.

Rush does not do a lot of "love" songs and this one definitely qualifies.  For that reason along its interesting and the "cheese"  in the lyrics I actually find enjoyable.

Thanks again for the explanation!!

trink39.gif  

#48 Czarcasm

Czarcasm

The Seeker

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

The last album where Rush really sounds like Rush to me. There are no Geddy choirs, no over produced guitars and waaaaay less chorus's to songs than in subsequent releases. I think speed of love is a fantastic song. Very emotional for me and a very well played piece. The only songs I'm not so keen on are Stick it out, which sounds like condensed, impotent teen angst, and Nobody's hero, mainly because I don't like hearing about how amazing homosexuality is and the topic of AIDS is a real bummer for a song.(Pun very much intended)

Cut to the chase, Animate, Cold Fire and Leave that thing Alone are all classic modern day Rush. 9/10 because it's impossible for an album to be perfect. But this one certainly comes close.    2.gif  

#49 CrossedSignals

CrossedSignals

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1668 posts
  • Interests:digital audio, computer science, cartooning, guitar playing, beaches, oceans, sand, surf, music, television, computer games, strong female heroines in sci-fi/fantasy (see my sig), being a total spaz

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Apr 11 2012, 08:02 PM)
Nobody's hero, mainly because I don't like hearing about how amazing homosexuality is and the topic of AIDS is a real bummer for a song.(Pun very much intended)

confused13.gif  

#50 troutman

troutman

My views are fishy

• Members *
  • 44549 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

I voted a 9. That album got them back to there heavier stuff. BTW, The Speed Of Love kicks a**!! 1022.gif  biggrin.gif  2.gif  

#51 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Members
  • 18811 posts
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Apr 11 2012, 08:02 PM)
Cut to the chase, Animate, Cold Fire and Leave that thing Alone are all classic modern day Rush. 9/10 because it's impossible for an album to be perfect. But this one certainly comes close.    2.gif

Ditto. I also gave it a 9 for the same reasons.  

#52 Gompers

Gompers

10,000 posts, and I got nothin'

• Members *
  • 17224 posts
  • Interests:Jaywalking. Not smoking meth. Selling my air guitars on eBay. Cooking Chinese and Italians. Giving blood so I can get drunk faster. Being a stickler for detale.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

Looks like a solid late Rush release. Maybe CA will have similar love.

#53 Rush Cocky

Rush Cocky

Go Cocks!

• Members
  • 12198 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 10 2012, 11:10 AM)
Speaking of Counterparts - anyone else but me want to see Double Agent and/or Cut To The Chase played this year on the upcoming tour??

I do!

And I give this album an 8!  icon_alienjig.gif  

#54 Gompers

Gompers

10,000 posts, and I got nothin'

• Members *
  • 17224 posts
  • Interests:Jaywalking. Not smoking meth. Selling my air guitars on eBay. Cooking Chinese and Italians. Giving blood so I can get drunk faster. Being a stickler for detale.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

After 62 votes:
Rating = 8.19

#55 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 36505 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

I give it a 7.  I think the HYF through S&A period has quite a few mediocre to weak albums.  This is the best of that bunch, but it doesn't belong up in the PeW or MP or even Signals class.

#56 nappy2112

nappy2112

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2508 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Apr 10 2012, 10:47 AM)
I don't like Stick It Out, Nobody's Hero, and Speed of Love, but I like the rest of the album enough to give it a strong 7.

My feelings exactly.

#57 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

The Elitist Booby Type

• Members
  • 9067 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

The Great
-Animate
-Between Sun & Moon
-Alien Shore
-Double Agent
-LTTA

The Good
-Stick It Out
-Cut To The Chase
-Cold Fire

Sucks
-Nobody's Hero
-Speed of Love
-Everyday Glory

#58 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81911 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 10 2012, 06:04 PM)
Geez...whats with all the negativity towards Nobody's Hero? confused13.gif

And please don't say it has anything to do with the "I knew he was different in his sexuality..." line...trust me - i have talked to a handful of people who have expressed their dislike for the song, JUST because of that lyric. Give me a break... eyesre4.gif

It is one of the worst intro lines in the history of rock music, not because of the subject matter, but because of the total lack of tact or creativity.

I like what the song becomes, love the chorus, and yet despise that intro line.  Cringe-worthy...

#59 CrossedSignals

CrossedSignals

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1668 posts
  • Interests:digital audio, computer science, cartooning, guitar playing, beaches, oceans, sand, surf, music, television, computer games, strong female heroines in sci-fi/fantasy (see my sig), being a total spaz

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (goose @ Apr 14 2012, 12:03 AM)
QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 10 2012, 06:04 PM)
Geez...whats with all the negativity towards Nobody's Hero? confused13.gif

And please don't say it has anything to do with the "I knew he was different in his sexuality..." line...trust me - i have talked to a handful of people who have expressed their dislike for the song, JUST because of that lyric. Give me a break... eyesre4.gif

It is one of the worst intro lines in the history of rock music, not because of the subject matter, but because of the total lack of tact or creativity.

I like what the song becomes, love the chorus, and yet despise that intro line.  Cringe-worthy...

Yeah, I agree. I like the sentiment of the song, and it's got a lot going for it, but the opening line is really clumsy.

#60 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81911 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 10 2012, 11:55 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Apr 11 2012, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (English Muffin @ Apr 10 2012, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Apr 10 2012, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 10 2012, 09:55 AM)
Just what the heck does that voice say before the start of Alien Shore? I never did solve that mystery.

I think it's, "Man overboard!"

"I've had about all"?

"Men about oars!" is what he says.

trink39.gif

Love this CD, by the way.  Great sounding, smart lyrics, Alex & Ged own it, and only a couple of duds.

Those duds for me are Speed of Love and Everyday Glory.
Counterparts is the tasty meat between the somewhat stale slices of Roll The Bones and T4E.
Solid 8.
trink38.gif

Agreed.  Those two suck.  I listened to them the other day and they seem to be virtually the same song, when played back to back.  One big mid-tempo, talk-sung, yawn-fest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users