Rate Test For Echo

Gompers

How do you rate Test For Echo?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Test For Echo?

Another of Rush's releases that divides the fans, how you you rate this one?
  • Like 1

I gave it a 7.

It's the only Rush album since Presto that I would actually want to listen to. I couldn't in good conscience give S&A or VT more than a zero, so for me it's the last decent Rush album. It doesn't stand comparison to Rush at their best. It wasn't a return to form, but it's a solid effort.

The title track and Totem especially are very good indeed.

I also gave it a 7.

The Good

-Test for Echo

-Driven

-Half the World

-Time and Motion

-Virtuality

The OK

-Limbo

-The Color of Right

-Dog Years

The Not so Good

-Totem

-Resist

-Carve Away the Stone

I give it a 7

QUOTE (Slim @ Apr 9 2012, 07:10 AM)
It's the only Rush album since Presto that I would actually want to listen to.

What? Counterparts says bekloppt.gif

I gave it a 6. There are some good songs on it but besides their first album it's the one I listen to the least.

I'm not as hyper-critical of it as I am some of their other albums, like RTB, but I'm still not a big fan. The disc, overall, doesn't have many songs which are so good that I go and seek them out to play them, if you follow me. Five tracks made it to my iPod, and of those "Totem" is actually my favorite.

I gave it a 5, and I think I'm being somewhat generous.

Gave it a 7, as well.

I Really Like : TfE, Driven, Half The World, Time & Motion, and Virtuality (despite the some-what cheesey lyrics)

I Sorta Like : Resist, Limbo, and Dog Years (despite the same explanation I gave about "Virtuality")

Never cared much for Carve Away The Stone or Totem for some reason...

This is one of those rare Rush records that doesn't have a single song that I would call great. Totem and Resist are both very good, and I think Carve Away the Stone is pretty underrated, but this album has some of Peart's worst lyrics ever (and he is my favorite lyricist) as well as the utter crap that is Time and Motion.

5/10

Dog Years is a bit rough on the ears, and I find Resist extremely annoying, but I'd say Test for Echo is a pleasant album to listen to otherwise, and I listen to it quite often. The band came up with a number of really catchy hooks and achieved a nice, bright tone with T4E; I think they went in an appropriate direction after down-'n-dirty Counterparts. The Color of Right is excellent. Carve Away the Stone's lead, Driven's heavy riffs, and Virtuality's chorus melodies are among the other highlights. Totem and Limbo are interesting, unusual numbers that worked out fairly well.

I'd rank the record about tenth or eleventh among Rush's studio efforts--a bit below the current median, but good enough to warrant a solid 7.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Apr 9 2012, 11:52 AM)
I gave it a three.

+1.

It's my least favorite Rush album.

I gave it a 7. It's not the BEST but it's still a solid album. I don't care for Totem simply because the lyrics irk me to no end. And Dog Years just makes me cringe ("season of the itch".. ugh). But the album as a soft spot in my heart because when I first decided to listen to my dad's music years ago, "Test for Echo" was the only Rush song I liked, and it amazed me. Still to this day there's something magical about those opening chords that mesmerizes me.

What album next Gomp ? cool10.gif

tongue.gif

I'm voting 7.

One thing is for sure...it's a crapload better than what most of TRF makes it out to be. The production is great, and there are some rockin' tunes on it.

Here's how I look at the album...

Songs I love and listen to often:

Test For Echo

Driven

Time & Motion

Virtuality

Limbo

Songs I like, and listen to on occasion:

Half The World

Totem

Dog Years

Resist

Songs I like, but rarely listen to:

The Colour of Right

Carve Away The Stone

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 9 2012, 08:26 AM)
I'm not as hyper-critical of it as I am some of their other albums, like RTB, but I'm still not a big fan.  The disc, overall, doesn't have many songs which are so good that I go and seek them out to play them, if you follow me.  Five tracks made it to my iPod, and of those "Totem" is actually my favorite.

I gave it a 5, and I think I'm being somewhat generous.

That would be my analysis as well.

No album with The Color Of Right on it can acheive better than a 5.

Edited by Pound of Obscure

There are a lot of good tunes on this album. I gave it an 8. Least favorite tunes are the title track and Carve. This album does boast my least favorite lyrics...wind up on the perp walk...makes me shudder. Otherwise, a good album.