Twins pitcher Pavano blackmail target

laughedatbytime

This guy (the blackmailer) seems like a real sleazeball.

Police in Southington, Conn., executed a search warrant last week against Christian Bedard, who allegedly threatened to expose a three-year physical and emotional relationship with Pavano unless he received a navy blue Range Rover with tan leather.

According to police reports, the 36-year-old Bedard made the demands through a Facebook exchange with Pavano's sister, who filed a complaint with police in December.

Bedard on Thursday told the Meriden (Conn.) Record-Journal that he was joking about wanting the vehicle, claiming it was said in jest to Pavano's sister.

"I have been openly gay for most of my adult life," Bedard said. "For years, my physical high school relationship with Carl Pavano has been well-known to my close friends and family. Carl Pavano's sister, Michelle DeGennaro, contacted me on Facebook asking under what conditions would I not talk about my relationship with Carl.

"I did not attempt to extort money from Carl Pavano," Bedard said. "I have not been charged with any crime. I will allow my local police department to conclude their investigation and I will have no further comment."

Bedard, who has a history of arrests and convictions on a number of charges in the past 10 years, has also threatened to write a book to expose his relationship with Pavano.

Pavano, who is scheduled to start opening day for the Twins, declined comment to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

The 36-year-old Pavano went 9-13 with a 4.30 ERA in 33 starts for the Twins last season. He had a 17-11 record and 3.75 ERA in 32 starts in 2010 for Minnesota.

Pavano has a career 106-102 record with five different teams.