2012 MLB season thread

laughedatbytime

Rangers have been tough, O's got some work to do. Yes they let the Rays get to them,dont know what was the problem, I think looking for the long ball , got to them.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Oct 4 2012, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Oct 4 2012, 12:02 PM)
Bobby Valentine got fired.

As much as I hate "subway series'", go Birds and Nats.

No wonder my Angels swept the Red Sox this season. Now, there's a sentence I never thought I'd post. laugh.gif rofl3.gif As frustrated as I've been with Scioscia over the last handful of years, I'd rather have him than Valentine. Francona was great with his players. Valentine was clueless and it's not hard to see why Youk did better with Robin Ventura as a manager on the south side of Chi town.

Rooting for the O's and Tigers in the American League since I hate the A's and Rangers. Plus, the evil empire is in. Nice to see Miggy get a triple crown. Also, another reason I'm rooting for the O's is former Angel pitcher, Saunders, now being on the team. I remember when he pitched a great Angel victory in honor of the the victims of the Virginia Tech shooting victims just after that tragedy since he was a student there.

Well, at least my team finished above 500 and played good September baseball. Those April games came back to haunt them. I'll definitely settle for Trout as ROY and Weaver as Cy Young though. Better season overall than last IMO. I'll be even more ecstatic if they let go of Vernon "worst trade ever" Wells.

I'm pretty sure somewhere around here I posted at the start of the season, or before, that I thought Valentine was a mistake. He was bad. And the team, after last year's collapse, showed zero pride this season, even before Magic Johnson foolishly agreed to take three of Theo Epstein's biggest mistakes off the last 2 years of the team's hands. Terry shouldn't have been scapegoated for last September.

How can you root against the A's? This team respresents everything that is good and right about baseball. no big salaries. No huge egoes. Just good team baseball.

QUOTE (goose @ Oct 4 2012, 10:17 PM)
How can you root against the A's?  This team respresents everything that is good and right about baseball.  no big salaries.  No huge egoes.  Just good team baseball.

Well, remember the bash brothers era of the 80s and 90s and their 70s dynasty? They've basically been the Yanks of the AL West for many years before the moneyball era. It's just comes with the territory for Halo Nation like Yankees fans hating Red Sox and vice versa.

Edited by invisible airwave

Since the Red Sox sucked so badly this year I will be able to tour Fenway Park today - Being from san diego i have never seen any of the nations greatest ball parks, today will be a treat - Us west coast fans don't even understand what team loyalty is all about and i think it's because there is little or no history associated with our teams -

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Oct 11 2012, 08:03 AM)
Since the Red Sox sucked so badly this year I will be able to tour Fenway Park today - Being from san diego i have never seen any of the nations greatest ball parks, today will be a treat - Us west coast fans don't even understand what team loyalty is all about and i think it's because there is little or no history associated with our teams -

Welcome to Boston. Hope you enjoy our fine city. Try to take in Faneuil Hall if you can.

Go have a beer at the Cask and Flagon across the street from Fenway. Bill Lee purportedly would go in there in uniform from time to time in the 70s.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Oct 11 2012, 12:06 PM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Oct 11 2012, 08:03 AM)

Welcome to Boston. Hope you enjoy our fine city. Try to take in Faneuil Hall if you can.

Go have a beer at the Cask and Flagon across the street from Fenway. Bill Lee purportedly would go in there in uniform from time to time in the 70s.

Thank you -Have to do that tomorrow - biggrin.gif

Spent about two hours in the Black Rose Pub this afternoon - Fenway was awesome - it makes padres petco park look like a corporate building - Fenway is a true park every seat is awesome and from now on i will have an increased appreciation of it -

Boston is a wonderful city for photography so i am enjoying myself - but man "TRAFFIC SUCKS" laugh.gif

What's the nicest park to walk?

Edited by alphseeker

And the Blue Jays lose Frasor to the Rangers. That's too bad for us, but I wish him success in TX - just not against us. ;)

http://espn.go.com/b...e-lance-berkman

Regardless, I hope it is a good year for the Blue Jays. I think it will be.

So when does the 2013 baseball thread start? :unsure:

Edited by CygnusGal

MLB

For first time since 1996, the Baseball Writers Association of America has elected no one to the Hall of Fame.

haha good job guys!

I'm sad that Schilling only got 38% of the vote (coincidentally enough). Its hard to think of any pitcher since I started following baseball in 1975 that was more consistently dominant in post season play. I thought we measured players by how they did when it mattered most? He lost two games. One of those losses came when his ankle tendon tore off the bone.

MLB

For first time since 1996, the Baseball Writers Association of America has elected no one to the Hall of Fame.

haha good job guys!

I'm sad that Schilling only got 38% of the vote (coincidentally enough). Its hard to think of any pitcher since I started following baseball in 1975 that was more consistently dominant in post season play. I thought we measured players by how they did when it mattered most? He lost two games. One of those losses came when his ankle tendon tore off the bone.

I read that it has only happened 8 times since 1936 but the ceremony will be held anyway. Three pre-integration era players are to be honoured. They have been dead at least 74 years.

It is a tricky question. Yes, steroids were part of the game and everyone (it seems) did them back then. That doesn't make it right - it is just a lot of people being wrong. I hope Clemens and Bonds never get in. I heard a commentator who was of the opinion the only player to be denied for all time will be Manny. A real shame (imo) - he was perhaps the best natural hitter to play the game and the RedSox have two WS rings because of him (a notion which I know gets the hackles up on RedSox nation) - again, imo.

Schilling? Certainly, the bloody sock is one of the most indelible images in all of baseball. Is he a HOF pitcher? Maybe. 20 year career, 216-146 with a 3.46 ERA and 3116 K (his numbers seem to be there) though his contemporaries were better, imo (Greg Maddux, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson - all of whom I think will get in). Schilling was always in the mix and a fine pitcher. I hope he does get in.

I'd like to see Jack Morris also.

Edited by CygnusGal

MLB

haha good job guys!

I read that it has only happened 8 times since 1936 but the ceremony will be held anyway. Three pre-integration era players are to be honoured. They have been dead at least 74 years.

It is a tricky question. Yes, steroids were part of the game and everyone (it seems) did them back then. That doesn't make it right - it is just a lot of people being wrong. I hope Clemens and Bonds never get in. I heard a commentator who was of the opinion the only player to be denied for all time will be Manny. A real shame (imo) - he was perhaps the best natural hitter to play the game and the RedSox have two WS rings because of him (a notion which I know gets the hackles up on RedSox nation) - again, imo.

Schilling? Certainly, the bloody sock is one of the most indelible images in all of baseball. Is he a HOF pitcher? Maybe. 20 year career, 216-146 with a 3.46 ERA and 3116 K (his numbers seem to be there) though his contemporaries were better, imo (Greg Maddux, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson - all of whom I think will get in). Schilling was always in the mix and a fine pitcher. I hope he does get in.

The me, this collective snub is hypocrisy of the worst kind. These voters all looked the other way while these players were reviving the near dead sport of professional baseball. The home run races fueled by the athletes' peformance on the field sold tickets, brought tv views, sold magazines, sold jerseys, and financed the building of the new super stadiums. Now, after all the hangers on cashed in, the voters take the high road. It's crap.

Collectively baseball needs to own the culture it created and profited from, and seperate this from the what these athletes achieved during the era. Remember, Gaylord Perry, one of the biggest cheaters ever, is in the Hall.

http://bleacherrepor...of-fame-cheater

Two quotes I like from this article...

Perry wrote, "I became an outlaw in the strictest sense of the word—a man who lives outside the law, in this case the law of baseball."

Cheating in Baseball

Cheating is pervasive in baseball, ranging from "gamesmanship" to violence.

Groundskeepers cut the infield grass short or allow it to grow, depending on which would help the home team.

Edited by goose

MLB

haha good job guys!

The me, this collective snub is hypocrisy of the worst kind. These voters all looked the other way while these players were reviving the near dead sport of professional baseball. The home run races fueled by the athletes' peformance on the field sold tickets, brought tv views, sold magazines, sold jerseys, and financed the building of the new super stadiums. Now, after all the hangers on cashed in, the voters take the high road. It's crap.

Collectively baseball needs to own the culture it created and profited from, and seperate this from the what these athletes achieved during the era. Remember, Gaylord Perry, one of the biggest cheaters ever, is in the Hall.

Perry wrote, "I became an outlaw in the strictest sense of the word—a man who lives outside the law, in this case the law of baseball."

Cheating in Baseball

Groundskeepers cut the infield grass short or allow it to grow, depending on which would help the home team.

Great interview with Tom Verducci on this topic:

http://audio.weei.co...all-of-fame.htm

MLB

haha good job guys!

Cheating in Baseball

Great interview with Tom Verducci on this topic:

http://audio.weei.co...all-of-fame.htm

I object to the notion of other guys "playing the game clean". They may not have done steroids, but you'll be hard pressed to name guys in the Hall that played the game clean, meaning substance free. I just don't buy the idea that using 'roids is worse than the subsatnce abuse that was rampant during the 70's and 80's.

As far as "I'm not sure what we were supposed to do?", how about call guys out? The douche on this radio show talks about taking MLB players at their word...what crap. "You can't print rumors". BS. They do it all the time.

Banning these guys hurts the Hall. It hurts baseball. If Frank Thomas and Craig Biggio get in over Bonds... :facepalm: