2012 MLB season thread

laughedatbytime

Here's a thread for the 2012 season, since it's already underway with the thriller between the Mariners and the A's. Seattle won 3-1 in 11.

Predictions for this year?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Mar 28 2012, 09:43 PM)
Here's a thread for the 2012 season, since it's already underway with the thriller between the Mariners and the A's. Seattle won 3-1 in 11.

Looks like Ichiro is back to his old self...getting 4 hits in the opener.

I'm a Jays fan and they have been killer in spring training (winning 21 of 25 games) but I'm cautiously optimistic of their chance and hope they at least put up a good fight for a wild card spot. Lots of good young talent. Lawrie and Romero should continue to thrive and Bautista will rock as usual. If Adam Lind and Kelly Johnson can get back to their early career success and Encarnicion produces the offence can do some damage. The big question will be the bullpen with a new closer (Santos) and a couple of experienced guys (Francisco Cordero and the ageless Darren Oliver) at the back end of a promising young rotation.

GO JAYS!

Go Mariners... (Not going anywhere this year though.. keep the faith)

But i have Rangers season tickets.. let's hope they play well because I love going to playoff baseball!

I'm a Phillies fan. As strong as their pitching is, their lineup is old and terribly nicked up, so for now I'll hope they make it to the playoffs, and if they do, we'll see what happens from there.

And here are my thoroughly dopey predictions:

AL East champs: Yankees

AL Central champs: Twins

AL West champs: Rangers

AL Wildcard: Rays

NL East champs: Marlins

NL Central champs: Pirates

NL West champs: Diamondbacks

NL Wildcard: Phillies

ALCS: Rays over Yankees

NLCS: Diamondbacks over Marlins

WS: Diamondbacks over Rays

NL Cy Young winner: A Brewer or Phillie or Jamie Moyer

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Mar 28 2012, 11:28 PM)
I'm a Phillies fan. As strong as their pitching is, their lineup is old and terribly nicked up, so for now I'll hope they make it to the playoffs, and if they do, we'll see what happens from there.

Don't forget there is an extra wild card spot in each league this year.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 28 2012, 10:51 PM)
QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Mar 28 2012, 11:28 PM)
I'm a Phillies fan.  As strong as their pitching is, their lineup is old and terribly nicked up, so for now I'll hope they make it to the playoffs, and if they do, we'll see what happens from there.

Don't forget there is an extra wild card spot in each league this year.

Oops. Tigers and Brewers! biggrin.gif

Div pix:

AL East

NYY

TB

Bos

Tor

Bal

AL Central

Det

Chi

KC

Min

Cle

AL West

Tex

LAA

Oak

Sea

NL East

Phi

Atl

Mia

Was

Mess

NL Central

StL 062802puke_prv.gif

Cin

Mil

Chi

Pit

Hou

NL West

SF

LA

Ariz

Col

SD

WC: Atl over Mia, TB over LAA

CS: Phi over SF, Tex over Det

WS: Phi over Tex

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 28 2012, 09:53 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Mar 28 2012, 09:43 PM)
Here's a thread for the 2012 season, since it's already underway with the thriller between the Mariners and the A's.  Seattle won 3-1 in 11.

Looks like Ichiro is back to his old self...getting 4 hits in the opener.

I'm a Jays fan and they have been killer in spring training (winning 21 of 25 games) but I'm cautiously optimistic of their chance and hope they at least put up a good fight for a wild card spot. Lots of good young talent. Lawrie and Romero should continue to thrive and Bautista will rock as usual. If Adam Lind and Kelly Johnson can get back to their early career success and Encarnicion produces the offence can do some damage. The big question will be the bullpen with a new closer (Santos) and a couple of experienced guys (Francisco Cordero and the ageless Darren Oliver) at the back end of a promising young rotation.

GO JAYS!

I'm glad it's Toronto with Encarnacion and Cordero and not the Reds anymore . tongue.gif

In fact I'm sure just with Cordero alone being gone I'll probably live 5 years longer now.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Mar 29 2012, 08:43 PM)
Bobby Abreu to Indians? wtf.gif

Unless it's some AFD joke, the trade just got nixed after I just searched on Google News.

Yeah, he's been on the decline lately and is, thankfully, now a bench player but I would love to have him be the Angels hitting coach when he retires. Never liked Mickey Hatcher's anti plate patience philosophy. I like how Bobby is usually patient at the plate. Tim Salmon was the same way through his career as well.

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Apr 1 2012, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Mar 29 2012, 08:43 PM)
Bobby Abreu to Indians?  wtf.gif

Unless it's some AFD joke, the trade just got nixed after I just searched on Google News.

Yeah, he's been on the decline lately and is, thankfully, now a bench player but I would love to have him be the Angels hitting coach when he retires. Never liked Mickey Hatcher's anti plate patience philosophy. I like how Bobby is usually patient at the plate. Tim Salmon was the same way through his career as well.

It was reported on MLB Network as being in the works Friday night. Since then, I've heard nothing.

Agree with you on the relative merits of patience vs aggression in hitting.

Will Ubaldo start the season suspended after drilling Tulo?

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Cleveland pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez nailed former teammate Troy Tulowitzki in the elbow Sunday, carrying their feud onto the field and causing the Indians and Colorado Rockies to clear the benches.

Tulowitzki left the exhibition game after being hit in the left elbow by Jimenez's first pitch. The Rockies star was taken to a hospital for precautionary X-rays, which were negative.

Jimenez sprang off the mound after hitting Tulowitzki in the first inning. Tulowitzki took a step toward Jimenez and said something to him, prompting the pitcher to say "Come on!" and motion at the All-Star shortstop.

Jimenez and Tulowitzki jawed near the plate, but were held back from getting at each other. The benches emptied, but there were no punches or ejections.

Jimenez recently told The Denver Post that he was upset he didn't receive a contract extension while Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez got new deals. Jimenez was traded by Colorado to the Indians last summer.

Tulowitzki was quoted in the same story as basically saying Jimenez needs to get over his frustration and get on with his career.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/story/_/...olorado-rockies

I saw on Twitter that the X rays for Tulo were negative.

David Freese had no postseason lag.. 2 run single with 2 strikes and 2 outs in the first.

Similar to his 2 run double in St. Louis last year in game 6 against the Rangers.. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 4 2012, 07:03 PM)
those miami marlins uniforms are horrible, than again they are playing in miami. tongue.gif

Really? I like em!

And as for the BoSox.. they should've won the East last year.. they'll win it this year. They're my pick!

And don't forget.. Tomorrow and Friday are the true Opening Days! I'll just take this time to wish good luck to everyone and their teams, and we'll see what's happened in October. Good Luck to all!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Apr 4 2012, 07:53 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 4 2012, 07:03 PM)
those miami marlins uniforms are horrible, than again they are playing in miami.  tongue.gif

Really? I like em!

And as for the BoSox.. they should've won the East last year.. they'll win it this year. They're my pick!

they're pretty bad imo, and what's with the lime green padding around the field, and flamingo structure in the outfield? facepalm.gif i heard it's suppose to light up and do all sorts of things when they hit a homerun. laugh.gif