Headlong Flight

iluvgeddy05

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 07:34 PM)
More from DJ...

...it wasn't that bad. I could definitely hear individual bass notes, which as we all know was not the case on VT... Just imagine the very thick production job done on BU2B - more of the same thing. Personally I don't understand why they don't experiment with more of the crisp sounds they used in the 70s, where you could actually follow Geddy's bass lines easily. Wall'o'sound gets old after a while.

i've often wondered about that myself. technology has come a long way since the 70's with the use of computers and we all know they love to play around with gadgets but i would love to hear them go back to a simpler sound.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More from DJ...

...it wasn't that bad. I could definitely hear individual bass notes, which as we all know was not the case on VT... Just imagine the very thick production job done on BU2B - more of the same thing. Personally I don't understand why they don't experiment with more of the crisp sounds they used in the 70s, where you could actually follow Geddy's bass lines easily. Wall'o'sound gets old after a while.

He doesn't really play like that anymore. He talked about this on the Rio bonus footage. He has tendon problems in his plucking hand so that's when he started doing the flamenco style which doesn't require him to do a lot of precise finger plucking. Flamenco really is easier on the tendons. He's been playing like this for years now. I guess maybe it started during Counterparts?

Edited by trenken

I believe that the people who are describing it have indeed heard it but their interpretations are just all over the place.

We just had a quote from a few days ago that said:

...the production sounds much different than the Caravan and BU2B single releases...

And now we're reading:

Just imagine the very thick production job done on BU2B - more of the same thing...

No question that BU2B sounds "thick" but in strong contrast to VT I actually think it sounds pretty good sonically.

Who the flip knows...

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 07:44 PM)
I believe that the people who are describing it have indeed heard it but their interpretations are just all over the place.

...the production sounds much different than the Caravan and BU2B single releases...

And now we're reading:

Just imagine the very thick production job done on BU2B - more of the same thing...

No question that BU2B sounds "thick" but in strong contrast to VT I actually think it sounds pretty good sonically.

Who the flip knows...

Yeah BU2B sounds like a standard issue clean rock song, MUCH different than VT, which is a big plus in my book.

Maybe it's possible they went back to that wall 'o sound from VT for this 1 song, Ged banging out the rapid fire flamenco and Alex just jamming chords over that. Who knows.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 07:44 PM)

And now we're reading:

Who the flip knows...

BU2B sounds great sonically and you can hear the bass great. Sounds like this might be one of Ged's best records playing wise.

So, let's recap.

The album sounds like a blending of 80-91 but the single sounds like 1974-1977.

Keyboards are present on the album but the single has no keys.

There are three different edits of Headlong Flight and we're not sure which of the descriptions go with which edit.

The sonic production is more of the same as BU2B/Caravan but much different.

HF has a Bastille Day/Anthem/Bytor feel but also has a Vapor Trails/BU2B feel.

Is that about it?

Based on the first 2 things it almost seems like Headlong Flight doesn't even belong on the album.

I'm really confused. wacko.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 08:12 PM)
So, let's recap.

There are three different edits of Headlong Flight and we're not sure which of the descriptions go with which edit.

Is that about it?

Based on the first 2 things it almost seems like Headlong Flight doesn't even belong on the album.

That's pretty much it. Don't forget Neil is playing at his peak. NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Apr 5 2012, 08:19 PM)
Cripes. Other than confirmed lyrics, it's like Roadrunner told people to describe a billion different things to throw people off.

Really. When we actually hear the song it could be a polka song chickendance.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 5 2012, 08:20 PM)
So, let's recap.

Is that about it?

I'm really confused.  wacko.gif

That's pretty much it. Don't forget Neil is playing at his peak. NeilFinal.gif

Yeah and he said that he will be at the peak of lyricism. I believe him.

This album is going to rock no matter what

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 5 2012, 08:32 PM)
If he is in fact trying to sing too high on this new song, I just dont get why. I got it when he was younger. He could do it, and he was trying to impress people with his range, which worked.

What's the point of singing high now? Who is he trying to impress? Especially since if he's straining noone is going to be very impressed by that. I was impressed with how good he sounded singing lower.

It doesn't make any sense to me if what that guy said is right, that he's straining to the point where you cant even understand him. I mean isnt that the job of a producer? Say, "Hey Ged, I'm sorry but you just sound really bad doing this, take down a few notches." Producers are there for a reason so that things like this dont happen and they do what's best for the song.

Of course we're just going on what one guy said so who knows if its even that bad. We sure dont have much else to talk about right now until it comes out. lol

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 3 2012, 07:41 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 2 2012, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 2 2012, 02:04 PM)
That was flat out painful and a very dumb idea

No it was actually a great idea - I remember grinning ear to ear the entire time, knowing how pissed off some fans would be that Rush had the audacity to devote five consecutive songs to new material. It was ballsy and just shows that while they care about their fans, they are more interested in pleasing themselves rather then cater to people who aren't interested in their current work

And from what I recall, the tour did pretty well lol.

I hope they play Clockwork Angels in its entirety.

Absolute agreement here, as well as the post pointing out PT playing all of The Incident. A true Progressive show in playing a concept album start to finish. That would one for the fans and not the casual concert goer.

I thought it was a horrible idea playing all the songs in a row. The one upside was if you had to take a dump as well as pee, you had plenty of time. laugh.gif I don't dislike the songs either - but the tempo of the concert kind of slowed to a stop with that mid-tempo fest. better to break it up.

As far as the tour doing well, me thinks that did not have to do with the strength of SA, but the strength of their entire catalog and playing MP in its entirety.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 5 2012, 07:35 PM)

No it was actually a great idea - I remember grinning ear to ear the entire time, knowing how pissed off some fans would be that Rush had the audacity to devote five consecutive songs to new material. It was ballsy and just shows that while they care about their fans, they are more interested in pleasing themselves rather then cater to people who aren't interested in their current work

Absolute agreement here, as well as the post pointing out PT playing all of The Incident. A true Progressive show in playing a concept album start to finish. That would one for the fans and not the casual concert goer.

I thought it was a horrible idea playing all the songs in a row. The one upside was if you had to take a dump as well as pee, you had plenty of time. laugh.gif I don't dislike the songs either - but the tempo of the concert kind of slowed to a stop with that mid-tempo fest. better to break it up.

As far as the tour doing well, me thinks that did not have to do with the strength of SA, but the strength of their entire catalog and playing MP in its entirety.

You're confusing two tours, they didn't play all of MP on the S&A tour.

I'd also rather hear as much of the new album as possible. After seeing them roughly 30 times I can tell you that as much as I still love the signature songs the only time I ever got restless during a Rush show was during the second half of the Time Machine tour with the first 4 MP songs, Closer to the Heart, 2112, La Villa, and Working Man. It was just way too much of the same. Witch Hunt would have had a much bigger impact but since they just played it on the previous tour the only songs (not counting the drum solo) after intermission I was genuinely excited about were The Camera Eye and Caravan and to a somewhat lesser extent Vital Signs and Far Cry. The first set was far more interesting to me.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 5 2012, 07:35 PM)

You're confusing two tours, they didn't play all of MP on the S&A tour.

I'd also rather hear as much of the new album as possible. After seeing them roughly 30 times I can tell you that as much as I still love the signature songs the only time I ever got restless during a Rush show was during the second half of the Time Machine tour with the first 4 MP songs, Closer to the Heart, 2112, La Villa, and Working Man. It was just way too much of the same. Witch Hunt would have had a much bigger impact but since they just played it on the previous tour the only songs (not counting the drum solo) after intermission I was genuinely excited about were The Camera Eye and Caravan and to a somewhat lesser extent Vital Signs and Far Cry. The first set was far more interesting to me.

Oh! Right.. whoops. Hahahaaa.

Well, I'd like to hear a lot of the new album if its good and not boring. I would agree that after decades of hearing certain songs (and them being released a LOT on live albums) that I'd like to hear lesser played songs.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 5 2012, 07:32 PM)
If he is in fact trying to sing too high on this new song, I just dont get why. I got it when he was younger. He could do it, and he was trying to impress people with his range, which worked.

What's the point of singing high now? Who is he trying to impress? Especially since if he's straining noone is going to be very impressed by that. I was impressed with how good he sounded singing lower.

It doesn't make any sense to me if what that guy said is right, that he's straining to the point where you cant even understand him. I mean isnt that the job of a producer? Say, "Hey Ged, I'm sorry but you just sound really bad doing this, take down a few notches." Producers are there for a reason so that things like this dont happen and they do what's best for the song.

Of course we're just going on what one guy said so who knows if its even that bad. We sure dont have much else to talk about right now until it comes out. lol

I'm pretty confident Ged wouldn't release a studio track that clearly has him struggling - he's too much of a perfectionist.

I agree that his singing on Caravan and BU2B is very good and well within his range. I expect more of the same on the rest of the album - although I don't have a problem with him "going for it" a little bit. He manages to drift into a higher register in parts of Caravan without it sounding strained - and pulled off the new songs quite nicely live.

We shall find out soon enough!

smile.gif

So, let's recap.

Is that about it?

LOL

It really goes to show how totally subjective music can be.

For example, one of the more detailed and reliable reviews of Headlong Flight makes comparisons to Caravan - and mentions a "lack of hooks and melody"

I just cranked both Caravan and BU2B in my car this evening after not listening to them for some time. Both songs are chock full of melodic passages and have a great hook, in my opinion. The choruses are really quite good.

One thing is for sure - both songs kick some major ass. The playing is off the hook - Ged sounds strong vocally.

Listening to these songs, knowing they are the starting point for a concept peice and a whole new album makes me very, very, VERY excited!!

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 5 2012, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 07:20 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 5 2012, 06:17 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 5 2012, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Apr 5 2012, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 07:05 PM)
-Geddy's voice is basically the same as it was towards the end of the Time Machine tour.

Haters gonna hate. tongue.gif

yeah what does that mean? tired?

Possibly straining if he decided to sing high on this new song, which I really hope he didn't do.

He sounded fine to me on Caravan and BU2B because he decided to sing down in his comfortable range, which is pretty low now. He sounds better that way rather than like an injured cat when he tries to hit notes way out of his range.

I think it's totally fine for them to go crazy musically if he wants, and him sing low over it. I would really prefer that.

That's exactly what I was telling someone earlier on RIAB. I think he sounds really great particularly on BU2B because he's staying lower, this guy on RIAB was saying he hoped Geddy sang really high on this record and I was saying that's a huge mistake. Even if he can manage it in the studio the live setting will kill him and make it less enjoyable for us. Geddy can still sing well as long as he is reasonable about what he does.

Yeah you were right that he does sound good on BU2B. I was basically thinking he would continue on with that since it did sound good, and then go nuts musically if they want, but keep the vocals lower. I think that would result in a very strong Rush album, no major flaws.

Even singing high in the studio I have a feeling would be a disaster, and from that guy from RIAB it sounds like that's the case. Then take that on the road for 60 dates, yeah good luck with that. No shame in singing low Ged. Do what your voice will allow to do, dont force it anymore.

Exactly.

Way back when they were first getting ready to record the album, I recall reading an interview with Nick R, about what the record was going to sound like.

I distinctly remember him saying something to the effect of...

" Give me classic Rush.... with Ged singing way up high ".

I instantly had some concerns with how that might sound, but at the same time, I can't imagine them putting out something where it's clear that Ged sounds as though he's stuggling.... especially if they expect to play it live.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 5 2012, 07:41 PM)
More from DJ...

He doesn't really play like that anymore. He talked about this on the Rio bonus footage. He has tendon problems in his plucking hand so that's when he started doing the flamenco style which doesn't require him to do a lot of precise finger plucking. Flamenco really is easier on the tendons. He's been playing like this for years now. I guess maybe it started during Counterparts?

Yeah, Animate is the first song that I can hear him using it. I use the style in my own playing though, and you can still get really clean sounds out of it, so it's totally the processing that's caused the muddy sound.

I was actually curious if Geddy would be playing for finger style on CA because DJ_Carter said "I think we can count on seeing a lot more of the Leave That Thing Alone live solo stuff on this record" and Geddy was flying through that whole song with finger style and he didn't use any flamenco during the solo... so I hoped that by "Leave That Thing Alone live solo stuff" he was referring to Geddy playing with less flamenco, although he probably just meant he'll be playing damn fast, which is just fine with me!

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 05:22 PM)
I love Geddy's voice however he sounds, but it's clear that he's struggling a bit. It gets hard for him to enunciate properly when he's reaching for the high notes, and so sometimes the lyrics were a little blurred.

I noticed this on the time machine video. I'll be bummed if that's the case with the new album.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 5 2012, 08:22 PM)
Cripes. Other than confirmed lyrics, it's like Roadrunner told people to describe a billion different things to throw people off.

Really. When we actually hear the song it could be a polka song chickendance.gif

Boy I hope so!

Edited by BigBob

QUOTE (BigBob @ Apr 6 2012, 10:18 AM)

Boy I hope so!

Fine as long as it's Metal Polka so Treeduck will be happy. laugh.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 6 2012, 01:00 PM)
QUOTE (BigBob @ Apr 6 2012, 10:18 AM)

Boy I hope so!

Fine as long as it's Metal Polka so Treeduck will be happy. laugh.gif

common001.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 6 2012, 03:11 PM)
Well we're either 5 or 9 days aways now from:

"Headlong Flight"

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 6 2012, 03:11 PM)
Well we're either 5 or 9 days aways now from:

"Headlong Flight"

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

common001.gif cheer.gif 653.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif drool1.gif biggrin.gif icon_alienjig.gif

common001.gif cheer.gif 653.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif drool1.gif biggrin.gif icon_alienjig.gif