What are your 3 favorite music groups?

rushgoober

QUOTE (dweezil @ Jun 2 2005, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Jun 2 2005, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Jun 2 2005, 05:17 PM)
3 is too limiting.

I have pretty widespread musical tastes, but there is one kind I cannot stand.

Country 062802puke_prv.gif f***ing 062802puke_prv.gif music 062802puke_prv.gif

I'm not sure why they allow them to call it music wacko.gif

I guess I don't like yodelling either.

I'm actually starting to like it....

espeically during Stampede week....I get so into it...

it's an aquired taste I guess smile.gif

I don't think it can be acquired by all no.gif

I grew up in a household that only played country music stations or church music.

I really hate the country, but I'm telling you, some of those church music pieces are okay. *The music mind you, not the words laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just naming three is too limiting so I'll give you my top 10

1. Rush (duh.. obviously)

2. Pearl Jam (best band of their generation by far)

3. Zeppelin (enough said)

4. The Who (Rush's spiritual predecessor)

5. U2 (only good band to come out of the 80s)

6. Ben Harper (absolute musical genius_

7. Foo Fighters (most fun band of the last 20 years)

8. Audioslave (Chris Cornell with the guys from Rage.. the ulitmate supergroup)

9. Springsteen (I grew up in Jersey, it's in my blood)

10. Billy Joel (I was born in New York)

Like many people, it tends to change quite a lot but, if I had to narrow it down, it would probably be:

HAWKWIND - opened my mind to the idea of music being a trip with the trouble of taking drugs myself. Some of the most mind crushing guitat riffs ever heard and one of the best live bands I've seen. If you've not listened to Space Ritual you've not lived.

DIAMOND HEAD - so far ahead of their time it was frightening. One of the first NWOBHM to combine technical skill with energy and enthusiasm. The 'white label' album still remains a bench mark to my mind.

PINK FLOYD - atmospherics and the most sublime guitarist around.

bubbling under

Queensryche - prog mentality with HM sensabilities

Tesla - reminded me what good hard rock was all about

Genesis (Gabriel era) - introduced me to progressive rock and I'l be forever grateful

Placebo - I love everything that this band has released and seeign them live is even better. They sure know how to get a crowd going!

Incubus - Funk + Metal = Happy times cool.gif

The Mad Capsule Markets - An odd 3-peice band that can only be described as a digital-hardcore-thrash-punk-rock from Japan.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Jun 2 2005, 05:17 PM)
3 is too limiting.

I have pretty widespread musical tastes, but there is one kind I cannot stand.

Country 062802puke_prv.gif f***ing 062802puke_prv.gif music 062802puke_prv.gif

I'm not sure why they allow them to call it music wacko.gif

I guess I don't like yodelling either.

Famous last words...

Nurse: "is anything bothering you?"

Buddy Rich: "Yes ... country music!"

Only 3 bands... you arent making this very easy, I could go on and on with personal favorites. I guess I will cut it down to the 3 that I find myself listening to mostly right now. My top 5 favorite bands are all set in stone, but I dont listen to most of them on a regular basis anymore.

Current 3 favorites...

David Bowie

The Mars Volta

Depeche Mode

very close runner up...

The Smashing Pumpkins

The Mars Volta

Dream Theater

Frank Zappa

Led Zeppelin - because they are awesome and probably the best rock group of all times and Jimmy Page is so creative it's not even funny. One time I heard another great rock guitarist say.. "Jimmy Page is an asshole, because everytime I play a lick I stop and think, Damn, Page already did this before"

Black Sabbath - The Fathers of Heavy Metal

System of a Down - The aren't the most talented musicians or anything, but they are good and their music and lyrics move me. They sound like no one else.

That's my top 3 besides Rush, some others I love are Smashing pumpkins, U2, The Who, old Styx, and of course the Beatles, how can I ever not mention them?

Led Zeppelin

Because since being 15 I've always thought they were the best rock band ever and 23 years later I still listen to their music and enjoy it just as much as I did back then. I love the diversity of their musical styles, rock, blues, acoustic and almost old English folk at times. An amazing live band, the Led Zep live DVD is the best live rock DVD ever (with RiR in 2nd place)

Oasis

Because in the 90's they almost single handedly made rock music in the UK hip again, they were at the forefront of Brit Rock and are still rolling out good tunes..."Lyla" was number 1 in the singles chart in the UK a week or so ago, their 7th in total up to now!

Paul Weller

Because he is such a talented singer/songwriter and a bloody good guitarist too!

His voice is so soulful, it just moves you. Again I like the diversity of his style of music, he can really rock, but does some beautiful acoustic songs too, jazz, soul and folk! His lyrics really touch me and many of his songs/lyrics have meant a lot to me and dweez. The album Wild Wood has to be my favourite album of all time, and I have alot of albums!

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 2 2005, 05:30 PM)
The Who
Nine Inch Nails
Kate Bush

OK I'll do my best at the explaining thing...

THE WHO

I got into them...god, I dont know, 4 years ago? When I was just starting drums...and Keith Moon blew me away. They perfected the concept album in 1969 with Tommy and then outdid that a few years later with Quadrophenia. Who's Next may be the greatest rock album of all time.

NINE INCH NAILS

Trent Reznor is amazing...he plays all the instruments and sings, writes, and produces all the music on the NIN albums. To some it may sound just like angry noise but listen with headphones and you will see that everying is perfectly orchestrated, every little thing has its purpose, and I am prepared to argue that he is on a Lennon/McCartney level as a songwriter (melodies, arrangement, etc). The Fragile (1999) is probably the Wall of our time.

KATE BUSH

There is no one like Kate...so bizzare...so utterly PERFECT...and that voice is just beyond words. I love how her most innocent and old-fashioned sounding songs are always about the weirdest things...Deeper Understanding is about a dude who becomes addicted to his computer and his family has to force him to stop. And Babooshka is about a dude who is recieving and answering seductive letters from a strange woman and he discovers much too late that it's actually his wife testing his faith. And her music videos need to be seen by all...I can't believe they're not on DVD yet. Oh well, I have most of them, and if anyone is interested hit me up on AIM and I will hook you up. Her videos justify the existence of the video format.

And she's so damn hot too... wub.gif

Kansas including the Kerry Livgren side projects,been with'em all along.Neil Young,he's done it all.Thirdly I will categorize as middle 70's guitar based rock including releases from Tull,Uriah Heep,Wishbone Ash and BTO. Oh,OK I'll give mention to Zeppelin and Sabbath as well.

QUOTE (Indica @ Jun 4 2005, 10:55 PM)
System of a Down - The aren't the most talented musicians or anything, but they are good and their music and lyrics move me. They sound like no one else.

Can't say I've ever heard anything by them, but I think you've come up with the best possible reason for liking a band

Only three?????

Today the answer is

Radiohead

Led Zeppelin

REM

but if you ask me tomorrow I would probably add The White Stripes if their new album is as good as the reviews suggest.

QUOTE (Milton Bridge @ Jun 5 2005, 11:00 AM)
Only three?????

Today the answer is

Radiohead
Led Zeppelin
REM

but if you ask me tomorrow I would probably add The White Stripes if their new album is as good as the reviews suggest.

Their new album is CRAZY GOOD. Very different from Elephant, much more bluesy and piano oriented. I don't know if I would say it's BETTER than Elephant, Elephant is pretty hard for any band to top...

New Coldplay is good too, so is what I've heard of the new Foo Fighters.

Archived