What are your 3 favorite music groups?

rushgoober

What are your 3 favorite music groups BESIDES Rush, and why?

1. Pink Floyd 1966-1973 - while I like what they did afterwards too, I really love their 1966-1972 pre-dark side period a LOT - they were really the MASTERS of psychedelic music and went into territories that no one else ever did or could have even if they wanted to...

2. The Moody Blues 1967-1972 - their 7 albums from this period were truly amazing - really the most effective blending of spirituality into rock music I've ever heard, and really trippy and deeply moving stuff - tends to blow the minds of the uninitiated when they hear them.

3. Popol Vuh - a not very well known German group who recorded from 1971 through to the late 90's when Florian Fricke, the main member, died. In the 70's they made some of the most cosmic spiritual music known to man, unique to the point of being extremely difficult to classify. By the 80's they'd moved more into a new age/ambient vibe, but still extremely effective and uplifting music.

Ok, YOUR turn!

peace,

rushgoober

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. U2- I particularly like their 1980-1990 stuff. It has so much energy with the delay-pedal rythms, wicked bass, and AMAZING vocals. All That You Can't Leave Behid and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb are nice, but I miss the 80's guitar work.

2. Van Halen- EVH=UBER. The vocals are nice too. I particularly like the DLR era.

3. The Guess Who-

"American Woman,

Get away from me" 1022.gif 653.gif

3 is too limiting.

I have pretty widespread musical tastes, but there is one kind I cannot stand.

Country 062802puke_prv.gif f***ing 062802puke_prv.gif music 062802puke_prv.gif

I'm not sure why they allow them to call it music wacko.gif

I guess I don't like yodelling either.

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Led Zeppelin

the third slot changes depending on what I am in the mood for.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Jun 2 2005, 05:17 PM)
3 is too limiting.

I'm actually starting to like it....

espeically during Stampede week....I get so into it...

it's an aquired taste I guess smile.gif

1. Def Leppard

The first music i was introduced to other than Rush.

2. Kamelot

Just thanks to Matt

3. Skidd Row

This spot changes, last week it was Judas Priest

U2 - Bono's lyrics, The Edge's guitar

Yes - Jon Anderson's voice and his word pictures smile.gif, Chris Squire's bass, Rick Wakeman's keyboards

Pink Floyd - Roger Water's brilliance, David Gilmour making guitars sing and weep

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jun 2 2005, 05:12 PM)
1. Heart
2. Led Zeppelin
3. this changes from time to time....usually will stick to The Weakerthans
smile.gif

This is unfair!! only 3!!! laugh.gif

Heart---> Nancy and Ann Wilson are the best! Wizz fingers Wilson and Ann who has such a great voice biggrin.gif

Taken from a backstage interview, Capital Theater in Passaic NJ, 01-26-79

ANN--> "Theres room for something in people's lives like Heart, like a mellow side and a hard rock side"

NANCY--> "Yea, our music isn't super predictable, ya know, it's kind of different levels of things and everything from real hard rock to real emotional kind of music."

ANN--> "Yea also, there aren't too many groups that have two women in them, ya know, fronting the group, and that kinda added a novelty to it"

Led Zeppelin because well....they are a legend...

The Weakerthans...because they are from Canada and they are really really good.

1.Metallica (From Kill them All to the "Black" Album)

Fast in your face smart Metal. (some silly lyrics but man does the music get me going)

2.Iron Maiden From their namesake up till the recent Dance of Death simply magical

3.Black Sabbath/ Ozzy era Just heavy and moddy all in one Toni is so underated

1. The Tragically Hip: What can I say, you have to support the hometown band... other then that, I love their music, I would also love for them to play a concert here (due to the fact that we have a crappy arena with HORRIBLE acoustics, they wont)

2. The Tea Party: Words cannot describe this band, you have to hear them to know what I'm talking about. Download: Heavan's Coming Down and you'll know what I mean.

3. Evanescence: This band helped me get through my dark period, days upon days listening to My Immortal (Rush helped bring me out) but evanescence was with me during it.

Runners Up Include:

-Pink Floyd

-Led Zeppelin

-Rolling Stones

QUOTE (rushengal @ Jun 2 2005, 06:55 PM)
1. The Tragically Hip: What can I say, you have to support the hometown band... other then that, I love their music, I would also love for them to play a concert here (due to the fact that we have a crappy arena with HORRIBLE acoustics, they wont)

2. The Tea Party: Words cannot describe this band, you have to hear them to know what I'm talking about. Download: Heavan's Coming Down and you'll know what I mean.

3. Evanescence: This band helped me get through my dark period, days upon days listening to My Immortal (Rush helped bring me out) but evanescence was with me during it.

Runners Up Include:
-Pink Floyd
-Led Zeppelin
-Rolling Stones

LOVE the Tea Party!!! I swear they come to calgary every month!! they are always in little bars and such where I can't go mad.gif laugh.gif

U2 - I became a fan of theirs way back with the release of War. Then I backtracked to their first release Boy and that lasted until their third release October came out. From that point on I was officially hooked.

The Beatles - Mainly because this is what I first listened to as a burgeoning pre-teen. The evolution of this band over a short 8 years is still astonishing.

Pink Floyd - I still think they did the best job of expressing teenage angst and middle-age malaise than any band before or since. Such a signature sound and a signature feel, much like this board's impetus band.

New Order

- punk influence, also electronic

- bass player plays a very unique style

- depressing, yet happy sounding music

- influenced a lot of artists like Smashing Pumpkins, Moby

The Who

- Great british band

- Fun rock

- Influenced a great band called Rush

Led Zeppelin

- Godfathers of hard rock

- mixed a lot of styles and international flavours to their music

- Influenced a great band called Rush

Nightwish - Extremely talented and original musicians. Deserve a lot more credit than given. Beautiful vocals, blend of orchestral music and nothing that's over the top or "showoffy" like a lot of bands today tend to do.

Kamelot - Best vocalist since Freddie Mercury. This band can arguably be considered the Rush of my generation due to the fact that they're great musicians who put their heart and soul into every song, and will probably never get the recognition they deserve.

Dream Evil - The Iron Maiden of today.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 2 2005, 08:52 PM)
Pink Floyd - Roger Water's brilliance, David Gilmour making guitars sing and weep

Well put. He does indeed make them "sing and weep". He has hit some of the most soul-searing notes I have ever heard. It's both bluesy and ballsy at the same time.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jun 2 2005, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Jun 2 2005, 05:17 PM)
3 is too limiting.

I'm actually starting to like it....

espeically during Stampede week....I get so into it...

it's an aquired taste I guess smile.gif

I don't think it can be acquired by all no.gif

I grew up in a household that only played country music stations or church music.

I really hate the country, but I'm telling you, some of those church music pieces are okay. *The music mind you, not the words laugh.gif

Kamelot - My most favourite band today, with the best vocalist there is at this moment, a lot of their songs (lyrics and music) moves me in many ways.

Nightwish - Their female singer has a "classic" voice, combined with metal music, it's special and just great to listen to.

Rammstein - German metalband, I can't describe that good what attracts me in this band, it's everythingcombined I think, their music, the vocals, definitely their show!

This is difficult, I've managed to narrow it down to 20!!!!!

Here goes with three for the moment -

1. Mano Negra / Manu Chao - The most joyously eclectic mishmash of punk, reggae, ska, salsa and folk music. The Radio Bemba Sound System live album is like a musical non-prescription anti depressant.

2. Gomez - I've loved these guys since they did 78 Stone Wobble on Later...With Jools Holland in 1999. Great instrumentation and Ben Otwell's voice is just incredible.

3. Hamell On Trial - Why Ed Hamell is not a global superstar is, quite frankly, a mystery to me. The man is poetic genius of the highest order. The Choochtown album has been described as "Mean Streets - The Musical", and I can live with that.

Can I also give honourable mentions to Pink Floyd, REM, Radiohead, The Zutons, Kaiser Chiefs, The Zutons and about 100 other bands?.

Only 3????

My taste has altered over the years, but I've always liked 2.gif

3 others:

Nightwish have just muscled in there...I now have three albums and love them all. Amazing music, and different, from an amazing band...I WILL see them asap. Oceanborn and Once are truly classic albums and would recommend them to anyone, esp. Oceanborn.

Manic Street Preachers - extremely controvertial, but this is what I love about them. James Dean Bradfield is a very underrated singer. One or two classic albums. Seen them 3 times.

Little Angels - broke up in 1994 and only made 4 albums. A band very much in the Def Leppard mode, but again highly underrated. They split up on a high really. Saw them only once - in '93.

Archived