Louis CK

Presto-a RUSH fan!

I just finally watched Louis CK - Live at the Beacon Theater. Thanks to danielmclark for posting about it. He has been my favorite standup for awhile and this new special is hilarious and only $5!! Rather than tell the whole story, here is danielmclark's original post about it. (see below for updated info on the sales and what he did with the money)

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 14 2011, 11:06 PM)
Louis CK is awesome, and he's got a new hour-long video out. It's brilliant in its concept. It's entirely self-produced - no corporation telling him what to do, how to do it, how much to charge. So he hired a production company with half a dozen cameras, recorded the special, hired a company to put up a website, and he's now selling the download (HD) for $5. Instead of $20 like we'd pay if it were commercially produced. And it looks as good or better than a commercially produced DVD.

The kicker is that he tells the story of it on his website. He put up $170,000 (mostly from ticket sales at the shows), and in the first 12 hours, had 50,000 purchases, for $250,000. The website cost $32,000. Not bad. To date (and it's only been on sale for a few days), he's sold 110,000 downloads, for over half a million dollars. He says that after overhead and PayPal fees, he's looking at about $200k in profit.

No DRM, just download the thing and burn it to a DVD if you want or keep it on your computer, whatever. No company tracking your purchase, no joining anything. Five little dollars for an hour of enjoyment.

I'm not going to say I've paid for everything I've ever watched or heard, but he has this message on his buy page:

To those who might wish to "torrent" this video: look, I don't really get the whole "torrent" thing. I don't know enough about it to judge either way. But I'd just like you to consider this: I made this video extremely easy to use against well-informed advice. I was told that it would be easier to torrent the way I made it, but I chose to do it this way anyway, because I want it to be easy for people to watch and enjoy this video in any way they want without "corporate" restrictions.

Please bear in mind that I am not a company or a corporation. I'm just some guy. I paid for the production and posting of this video with my own money. I would like to be able to post more material to the fans in this way, which makes it cheaper for the buyer and more pleasant for me. So, please help me keep this being a good idea. I can't stop you from torrenting; all I can do is politely ask you to pay your five little dollars, enjoy the video, and let other people find it in the same way.

Sincerely,
Louis C.K.

Any thought I had of torrenting the video went right out of my head. It is only five little dollars. Today I spent $80 on a woman to come clean my home! How can I not spend five bucks on this video that I want to watch?

So here is the update that is kind of late. I had taped him on Jimmy Fallon back in December but never watched it until last night. He said on the show that he ended up making $1 million dollars off the download. He said he gave $250k to replenish his company, gave $250k as bonuses to his staff, gave $250k to CHARITIES and then kept $250k. Pretty awesome.

If you aren't familiar with him, he is dark and irreverent but just so smart and always funny as all get out! He is 44 yrs old so if your around that age and you and like dark funny comedy, you will love him. If you are a parent, you will most likely love him. And he is just so smart that he even will make a younger audience laugh. He is, IMO, the best standup comedian working right now. If you haven't bought this download yet, I highly recommend this!

My favorite bit on this is about this 6 yr old kid that he "hates" in his daughter's class who he calls "Xanthopus" (pronounced Zanthopuss). It's so wrong but it's so funny I was literally laughing out loud.

Just paid my five measly bucks. Downloading. 1022.gif

Here's one way to watch it: I downloaded the HD version, am now transferring it to a flash drive, and then I will plug said flash drive into the USB port on my Blu-ray player and watch it on my flatscreen in all its hi-def glory. biggrin.gif

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 3 2012, 01:12 AM)
Just paid my five measly bucks. Downloading. 1022.gif

Here's one way to watch it: I downloaded the HD version, am now transferring it to a flash drive, and then I will plug said flash drive into the USB port on my Blu-ray player and watch it on my flatscreen in all its hi-def glory. biggrin.gif

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!! My software for my burner won't work and it didn't occur to me tha I have a freaking port on my BluRay I could use my flash drive with it. I forgot I even had a flash drive! I already watched it twice on my computer, but I'd like to let my brother see it. I may just make him buy it!!

BTW, if you like Louis CK, you will love this special. It's just him doing what he does, making alot of sense but also being completely over the top. It's the best $5 you will ever spend for a 1hr 2 min comedian CD.

Stop back and tell us your favorite part.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Mar 3 2012, 12:43 PM)
I'm going to have to google him - I have no idea who he is...

Here is one of my favorite bits by Louis CK.

Louis CK on Cell Phones and Flying

I warn you he does cuss alot and uses the f-word but not just for effect like some comedians do...and he is irreverent and will make you cringe while laughing, but as all good comedy it's based on truth which makes it so dang funny!

I highly suggest watching this one to get an idea of how great he is.

Also, he does do some "dick" jokes and "bathroom" type humor, which is funny, but not my favorite. The bit I linked to above is the kinda stuff that leaves me laughing out loud.

The thing to remember is that, like George Carlin, if you take what he says at face value you're going to be *very* offended and put off. The stuff he says about his stupid kids (and everyone's stupid kids), for example, can be downright mean. But the key is to look deeper than the surface comments at what he's really saying. He's a comic, like Carlin or Bruce, that tries to get you to engage your brain, rather than just laugh at airplane food jokes. Seinfeld, he's not.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 3 2012, 03:47 PM)
The thing to remember is that, like George Carlin, if you take what he says at face value you're going to be *very* offended and put off. The stuff he says about his stupid kids (and everyone's stupid kids), for example, can be downright mean. But the key is to look deeper than the surface comments at what he's really saying. He's a comic, like Carlin or Bruce, that tries to get you to engage your brain, rather than just laugh at airplane food jokes. Seinfeld, he's not.

What I like about Louis is, even when he's being mean, he has the uncanny ability to convey that he's just making jokes. Like, he'll joke about how much his kid sucks at hide and seek and how he could beat up a room full of kids, but he somehow makes it obvious that he's just kidding without losing his sharp edge.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 3 2012, 01:59 PM)

I warn you he does cuss alot and uses the f-word but not just for effect like some comedians do...and he is irreverent and will make you cringe while laughing, but as all good comedy it's based on truth which makes it so dang funny!

Here's another link for that same bit, and this one has actual video of Louis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grxL5umOE6g

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 3 2012, 02:55 PM)

What I like about Louis is, even when he's being mean, he has the uncanny ability to convey that he's just making jokes. Like, he'll joke about how much his kid sucks at hide and seek and how he could beat up a room full of kids, but he somehow makes it obvious that he's just kidding without losing his sharp edge.

Exactly what I was thinking - it's a very fine line he walks, but he does it really well.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 3 2012, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 3 2012, 02:55 PM)

Exactly what I was thinking - it's a very fine line he walks, but he does it really well.

His "mean" routine is very good. He's digging into our dark sides....all those nasty things we'd love to say and do, but can't because we'd get into trouble.

He even goes off on his own daughter. He digs into just how mad a little kid can make a parent. It's hilarious when he invents all those horrible things he wants to do when she's being disrespectful.....total exaggeration, but you can relate to what he's feeling..... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 3 2012, 04:47 PM)

goodpost.gif

Perfect description. I always say "irreverent" but that really doesn't explain it. You really have to watch his whole special to get what he does, if you just watch a clip that has some parts where he rips on his kids, you could be put off, but if you see how he does this in the context of a whole show, constantly putting himself down, it just works. And he is one of the "smartest" comedians, IMO. He takes things that other comedians make jokes about and takes it to another level and really makes you think.

I just love him. And his show Louie on FX going into season 3 shortly is flat out awesome. It's dark but so "human" and so funny.

1-0-0-1-0-0-1,

Thanks for finding that one. I just clicked it and started listening and didn't watch it. I didn't even realize it was just a still image. fing.gif

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 3 2012, 06:59 PM)

Also, he does do some "dick" jokes and "bathroom" type humor, which is funny, but not my favorite. The bit I linked to above is the kinda stuff that leaves me laughing out loud.

Re Cell Phones and Flying: this man had me laughing! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Mar 3 2012, 04:16 PM)

Patton Oswalt had a similar observation (everything is awesome and nobody cares) that inspired me to write a thing for my now defunct blog a few years ago:

http://www.danielmclark.com/21-things-that...ably-arent.html

I do it, too... we all take things for granted that should be blowing our minds. After a while, things just get so pedestrian.

I downloaded the beacon show when he first released it in December. This guy is great. Here's a hilarious clip of him explaining why farts are so funny on the daily show:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-june...2011/louis-c-k-

QUOTE (Babycat @ Mar 3 2012, 05:16 PM)

If you like his standup then you might like his "sitcom" he has on TV right now. I don't know if you get the channel FX in England but the show is called Louie. It usually shows some standup stuff from him but the main focus is his life and all this goofy and akward stuff that happens in it.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 4 2012, 12:19 AM)

If you like his standup then you might like his "sitcom" he has on TV right now. I don't know if you get the channel FX in England but the show is called Louie. It usually shows some standup stuff from him but the main focus is his life and all this goofy and akward stuff that happens in it.

goodpost.gif

Babycat,

I can't recommend his show enough. Even though he plays himself and it is kinda like Seinfeld in that he is shown doing his standup during shows, that is the only way it's like Seinfeld. It's more realistic as to what life is like. It doesn't shy away from stuff that is sad and horrible but it makes things funny and does it in a real "human" way. There is a great episode where he is mad at his mother for neglecting him when he was a child and it's deep but at the same time there are so many funny parts. It's more like what life really is like. It's bizarre to watch a sitcom that has such serious story lines but still makes you laugh out loud and it feels "real".

Not sure exactly where you are from but, I think you can get it. I pulled this off Wikipedia:

United Kingdom Main article: FX (UK)

FX and FX+ are both available in the United Kingdom through both satellite and cable TV providers Sky Digital and Virgin Media.

Other Louie fans,

Anyone remember that episode with his Mom and his brother? Where his Mom is introducing him and his brother to her new significant other? What a great episode!

Also, his episodes about God are just flat out fall down funny! Being raised Catholic and going to Catholic grade school, I could totally relate to all his episodes based around religion, especially the one with the flashback scenes!

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 4 2012, 05:30 AM)

goodpost.gif

Babycat,

I can't recommend his show enough. Even though he plays himself and it is kinda like Seinfeld in that he is shown doing his standup during shows, that is the only way it's like Seinfeld. It's more realistic as to what life is like. It doesn't shy away from stuff that is sad and horrible but it makes things funny and does it in a real "human" way. There is a great episode where he is mad at his mother for neglecting him when he was a child and it's deep but at the same time there are so many funny parts. It's more like what life really is like. It's bizarre to watch a sitcom that has such serious story lines but still makes you laugh out loud and it feels "real".

Not sure exactly where you are from but, I think you can get it. I pulled this off Wikipedia:

FX and FX+ are both available in the United Kingdom through both satellite and cable TV providers Sky Digital and Virgin Media.

Other Louie fans,

Anyone remember that episode with his Mom and his brother? Where his Mom is introducing him and his brother to her new significant other? What a great episode!

Also, his episodes about God are just flat out fall down funny! Being raised Catholic and going to Catholic grade school, I could totally relate to all his episodes based around religion, especially the one with the flashback scenes!

We can get FX - just depends on what's showing and at what time. I'll certainly keep a look out for him. Thanks. smile.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Mar 4 2012, 02:04 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 4 2012, 05:30 AM)

goodpost.gif

Babycat,

Other Louie fans,

We can get FX - just depends on what's showing and at what time. I'll certainly keep a look out for him. Thanks. smile.gif

Louie season 3 starts in June in the US.

Another absolutely brilliant show is on right after Louie (or is it before) which is Wilfred. It stars Elijah Wood and he is a little fing.gif and instead of seeing his neighbors dog, he sees a guy in a dog suit that talks. I know it sound ridiculous, but it is just hilarious! It was adapted from an Australian show. If you end up watching Louie, you should watch Wilfred too!

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Mar 4 2012, 08:26 AM)
Love Louis CK. I'm not a huge fan of his marriage/children rants, but he's got a lot of other great material.

This is my favorite clip of his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8VlUFpqCqU

I can understand his stuff on kids/being a Dad and marriage could turn people off, but that is one of my favorite subjects he talks about. He does go over the top on those subjects, but just like your "chimp" clip, that is what makes it so funny, IMO. I am not a parent so I can't objectively comment on what it's like to be a parent, but my little Brother has two little girls, not as old as Louis CK's but with the same age gap between them, and he laughed so hard at all the stuff on kids/parenting (From his "Hilarious" CD). He said he almost felt bad for laughing but it was so funny he couldn't help it. So I do get that feeling you have. I just think you have to remember he goes to the extreme to make his points.

If you end up seeing his new special, Live at the Beacon download for $5, my favorite part is how he talks about hating a 6 yr old in his daughters class. I don't think he really hates this kid, but the way he does it...it's just so freaking funny, IMO, of course.

All that said, I like the chimp bit too...that is the first time I saw that one.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 4 2012, 08:15 PM)
I can understand his stuff on kids/being a Dad and marriage could turn people off, but that is one of my favorite subjects he talks about. He does go over the top on those subjects, but just like your "chimp" clip, that is what makes it so funny, IMO. I am not a parent so I can't objectively comment on what it's like to be a parent, but my little Brother has two little girls, not as old as Louis CK's but with the same age gap between them, and he laughed so hard at all the stuff on kids/parenting (From his "Hilarious" CD). He said he almost felt bad for laughing but it was so funny he couldn't help it. So I do get that feeling you have. I just think you have to remember he goes to the extreme to make his points.

If you end up seeing his new special, Live at the Beacon download for $5, my favorite part is how he talks about hating a 6 yr old in his daughters class. I don't think he really hates this kid, but the way he does it...it's just so freaking funny, IMO, of course.

All that said, I like the chimp bit too...that is the first time I saw that one.

I don't mind the content of the marriage/kids stuff, just the abundance. It's like when a black comedian spends an hour talking about being black, or a woman spends an hour talking about dating men. Too much of the same type of thing bores me. Luckily, he's moved away from putting too much of that into his sets nowadays