Canadian metal band Artok cover of 'Subdivisions'

RushFanForever

Canadian metal band Artok include a cover of Rush's Subdivisions on their latest CD Above Ground, released in late 2010. The cover is particularly interesting because of the vocal harmonies and the fact that the keyboards are replaced by guitar. You can watch a video of the band performing the track on YouTube

, and find out more about the band on their website here and on Facebook.

The 'Above Ground' album can be purchased at the following links below:

CDBaby

Amazon

The band has been around since 1983 according to here.

Also there's an older live video of 'Subdivisions' here by the band from the 80's era as well.

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Mar 1 2012, 10:36 AM)
Canadian metal band Artok include a cover of Rush's Subdivisions on their latest CD Above Ground, released in late 2010. The cover is particularly interesting because of the vocal harmonies and the fact that the keyboards are replaced by guitar. You can watch a video of the band performing the track on YouTube here, and find out more about the band on their website here and on Facebook.

The 'Above Ground' album can be purchased at the following links below:

CDBaby
Amazon

The band has been around since 1983 according to here.

Also there's an older live video of 'Subdivisions' here by the band from the 80's era as well.

I like it. Subdivisions, when covered, can be an absolute disaster.

I had always thought that Jacob Moon did a great cover. Now I can Artok to the list!

I like this a lot too! I like how the "Subdivisions" are drawn out, and the singer's voice has a bit of a twang to it, which works. It reminds me a little of the "country" flavor of Cold Fire. The different guitars are neat too.

Now the singer's a cute guy, but that look he's giving the camera while singing is a little intense! Other than that, though, it's all good new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Mar 1 2012, 11:38 PM)
I like this a lot too! I like how the "Subdivisions" are drawn out, and the singer's voice has a bit of a twang to it, which works. It reminds me a little of the "country" flavor of Cold Fire. The different guitars are neat too.

Now the singer's a cute guy, but that look he's giving the camera while singing is a little intense! Other than that, though, it's all good new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I was thinking the same thing about the intense look that the drummer is giving the camera...not the cute guy part though! laugh.gif

But I was prepared to hate this when it started but I actually do like it. He kind of sounds a little like Ozzy. 1022.gif

My all time favorite cover of any RUSH song is Jacob Moon's version of Subdivisions and his video is absolutely awesome!

It's a very good cover until the guitar solo. It just felt out of place. I know they were trying to do their own thing at the same time, but the guitar solo threw me off. It's neat and all, but doesn't fit the song, in my opinion. Still, it's a great cover otherwise.

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Mar 2 2012, 08:51 AM)
It's a very good cover until the guitar solo. It just felt out of place. I know they were trying to do their own thing at the same time, but the guitar solo threw me off. It's neat and all, but doesn't fit the song, in my opinion. Still, it's a great cover otherwise.

I always appreciate bands that cover Rush, to make the song their own. Yet I have to agree with you GUP. The guitar solo is disjointed. A very good cover, but some improvements could be made.

QUOTE (Draco @ Mar 2 2012, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Mar 2 2012, 08:51 AM)

I always appreciate bands that cover Rush, to make the song their own. Yet I have to agree with you GUP. The guitar solo is disjointed. A very good cover, but some improvements could be made.

Yes. I am quoting my own post.

I looked at the wrong video previously. I don't know what I looked at. Anyways, this version of Subdivisions is very well done. Very tight, and the drummer with the vocal ability ALONG with the drumming shows an extreme amount of talent.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 2 2012, 07:42 AM)

I was thinking the same thing about the intense look that the drummer is giving the camera...not the cute guy part though! laugh.gif

But I was prepared to hate this when it started but I actually do like it. He kind of sounds a little like Ozzy. 1022.gif

My all time favorite cover of any RUSH song is Jacob Moon's version of Subdivisions and his video is absolutely awesome!

Totally agree with you about the Jacob moon version! I had never seen the Jacob Moon version until I clicked on the links in these posts and just kept digging a bit. The version he did up on top the building is just great. Although the version he did on the boat at with Neil's voice on his dictaphone saying "Subdivisions" is very, very good also.

This actually a very good version as well. Definitely enjoyable. But I will take the Jacob Moon version however.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Mar 4 2012, 01:28 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 2 2012, 07:42 AM)

Totally agree with you about the Jacob moon version! I had never seen the Jacob Moon version until I clicked on the links in these posts and just kept digging a bit. The version he did up on top the building is just great. Although the version he did on the boat at with Neil's voice on his dictaphone saying "Subdivisions" is very, very good also.

This actually a very good version as well. Definitely enjoyable. But I will take the Jacob Moon version however.

On the boat? I never saw that one. Where is this one you speak of?

BTW, they used to offer Jacob's Moon's version in MP3 on Amazon for .99 and I bought it. It's no longer available for download now, but his album is sold out, so I am thinking they probably saw all the RUSH fans downloading that one song and made it unavailable to download. And it must have worked because, like I said, the CD is showing up as "sold out" now.

I listen to it about once a month. And from time to time I watch his video on the roof. It's probably one of the best videos I have ever seen. Simple, but interesting and he plays everything. Then when he records the "Subdivisions" into the tape recorder at the beginning and uses it thru the song...just a great video.

when it comes to covers I guess there are two choice: "copy" and "own it." They did a nice job of copying. Also, the guitarists have the "long strum" technique mastered like no other. Pretty good.