New Orleans SAINTS official thread 2012-13

treeduck

What I want to know is when Jimmy Clausen was QB for the Panthers, was there a bounty out on any defender who knocked him out of the game?

...and if you want the other side of the fence on this...

Poor Gregg Williams looks like he gets to play the "fall guy" for Roger Goodell's lawyers.

Reminds me of this classic Monty Python skit.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/zrzMhU_4m-g

My favorite line in there was "She turned me into a NEWT!"

Followed by awkward silence.

"Well... I got better..."

I think P. King Duck perfectly fell into this trap himself with the following paragraph...

The most alarming finding by the league, according to one club source who was briefed on the investigation late Friday afternoon, was this: Before the 2009 NFC Championship Game, Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma offered any defensive teammate $10,000 in cash to knock then-Vikings quarterback Brett Favre out of the game. Favre was hit viciously several times in the game. Favre told SI.com Friday evening: "I'm not pissed. It's football. I don't think anything less of those guys."

So in other words... the MOST ALARMING finding by the league, was that a SIZEABLE bounty (10K) was put on a MAJOR STAR (Favre) in a game in which he was BATTERED and BRUISED (NFC Championship) and his team lost.

ZOMG!

Aaaaaannnndd.... the same guy just shrugged his shoulders and said "It's football."

Right.

In the end, this will be a "win-win" for Goodell and his minions.

1. Some NFL media drones will actually report/opine that this shows the league is "taking this matter VERY seriously." Say somebody with the approximate intellectual horsepower as, oh, John Clayton. Which of course, must be true, since they took three YEARS to sniff it out, and take action. Whereas the TV show Playmakers got murdered in just one.

2. It will enable Goodell to seek, and to receive - if not, he'll just seize it - even MORE power to fine and suspend what he and his owner/bosses consider to be inconvenient savages costing the league so much money in payroll.

And as an upshot, I'll bet anyone who is willing, that the already overhyped "concussion lawsuits" being filed right now, won't even use this bounty evidence at trial because it's easily the WEAKEST part of their already weak case.

But hey, back to Gregg for a second.

He's a witch! BURN HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read a few things and I am actually starting to think Czabe was right as to not get too excited.

Players getting fined $10K-$20K or more for a nasty hit on a QB for a $1K-10K "bounty"? Guys aren't doing it for the money, it's just the game of football. In college they give you a sticker to put on the back of your helmet for big plays or big hits. A $1K bonus to a guy making $5M+ doesn't really make much of a difference - it's basically a "sticker on the helmet"

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 5 2012, 03:43 PM)
I read a few things and I am actually starting to think Czabe was right as to not get too excited.

Players getting fined $10K-$20K or more for a nasty hit on a QB for a $1K-10K "bounty"? Guys aren't doing it for the money, it's just the game of football. In college they give you a sticker to put on the back of your helmet for big plays or big hits. A $1K bonus to a guy making $5M+ doesn't really make much of a difference - it's basically a "sticker on the helmet"

Aye...

ESPN reporters meanwhile are calling for Payton & Loomis to be fired, the stripping of ALL the SAINTS draft picks for the next 16 years, $10 million from Tom Benson, a cap reduction to $25 million to prevent a free agency rebuild, and the firing squad at dawn for Gregg Williams... laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 5 2012, 03:20 PM)

Aye...

ESPN reporters meanwhile are calling for Payton & Loomis to be fired, the stripping of ALL the SAINTS draft picks for the next 16 years, $10 million from Tom Benson, a cap reduction to $25 million to prevent a free agency rebuild, and the firing squad at dawn for Gregg Williams... laugh.gif

Or maybe just that they be forced to hire Ditka as coach...

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Mar 5 2012, 10:32 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 5 2012, 03:20 PM)

Aye...

Or maybe just that they be forced to hire Ditka as coach...

Noooooooo! ohmy.gif

Randy Moss ? It is Over huh ? biggrin.gif

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/764746...nfl-concussions

Think of all the illusions about the National Football League that the revelations of a bounty program in New Orleans shatter. Think of all the silly pretensions those revelations deflate. The preposterous prayer circles at midfield. The weepy tinpot patriotism of the flyovers and the martial music. The dime-store Americanism that's draped on anything that moves. The suffocating corporate miasma that attends everything the league does - from the groaning buffet tables at the Super Bowl to the Queegish fascination with headbands and sock lengths while teams are paying "bounties" to tee up the stars of your game so they don't get to play anymore. What we have here now is the face of organized savagery, plain and simple, and no amount of commercials showing happy kids cavorting with your dinged-up superstars can ameliorate any of that.

Which is why Roger Goodell is going to land on the Saints, and on their coaches, as hard as he possibly can. It's not so much that they allegedly paid players to injure other players. That's just the public-relations side of the punishment to come. Goodell can see the day when one of these idiotic bounty programs gets somebody horribly maimed or even killed, and he can see even more clearly the limitless vista of lawsuits that would proceed from such an event.

We may well be reaching something of a tipping point in our relationship with our true national pastime. Football was always a deal we made with ourselves. We adopted it for its brutality, which was embedded in a context that happened to be perfectly suited to television and to gambling, but which we could convince ourselves was only incidental to our enjoyment because it was only incidental to the game itself. But the players got bigger, and even the unsolicited hits got louder, and the damage to the athletes soon became too obvious to ignore.

big words hurt head. Me go smash something.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 9 2012, 05:01 AM)
http://i.imgur.com/zNh4E.jpg

1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif

Haha, good one but it's hard to picture Samus as a bad guy.

A LETTER TO THE FANS

MARCH 09, 2012

This has been an eventful offseason for me and my family. Brittany and I would like to thank all of you for the thoughtful words and well wishes since we announced that baby boy #3 is on the way. While we were all disappointed with the way the season ended, the offseason has given us the opportunity to reflect back on what was a truly memorable year. It has also given me the opportunity to enjoy some much needed quality time with my family.

I do feel a responsibility to my teammates, the Saints organization and to the fans, to address the "Bounty" allegations.

There is no place in the National Football League, or any sport played at any level, for players to conspire, to be coerced, or to be incentivized to intentionally injure another player. I did not participate in any Bounty program, nor did I have any knowledge relating to its real existence. I have spent the last several years as an Executive Committee Member of the NFLPA making health and safety a priority and I am proud of the advancements we've made and will continue to make.

As a leader of our football team, I feel comfortable in stating that I know well the integrity of our organization from the ownership level, to management, our head coach, and the players on our team. We, as Saints players, pride ourselves on playing this game with honor and hold ourselves to a very high standard. We also share a great sense of responsibility to our community and to each other, a strong belief in our purpose, a resiliency to overcome adversity and a work ethic and commitment to leave things better than we found them.

The accusations and perceptions alone created by this issue make us feel like we should all apologize to the young people that love our game and aspire to be in our shoes. Regardless of the outcome of the "bounty" issue, we owe it to them to provide the best example of how to behave as professionals and more importantly, as people of integrity.

To our fans, please reserve judgment until the investigation is complete and the facts in their entirety are known. We are all working diligently to find the truth in this matter and if the facts prove there was improper behavior, we will hold ourselves accountable. Until that time, we will stand together and remain united as an organization.

Thank you for your support.

Drew Brees