Favorite Rush Tour/concert ever?

Indica

I'm just wondering what everyones favorite rush show or tour was that they can remember and a short reason why it was your favorite.

I would have to go with Moving Pictures concert in Dayton Ohio just because it was my first rush show. For some reason I loved a show I saw on Test for echo tour in Cincinnati. I don't really know what it was about that show but it just rocked.

QUOTE (Indica @ Sep 22 2004, 09:34 PM)
I'm just wondering what everyones favorite rush show or tour was that they can remember and a short reason why it was your favorite.

I would have to go with Moving Pictures concert in Dayton Ohio just because it was my first rush show. For some reason I loved a show I saw on Test for echo tour in Cincinnati. I don't really know what it was about that show but it just rocked.

I think I would have to split that up into 2 choices, I can't decide because each wre cool in their own way:

1988- Hold Your Fire in Cincinnati. Went with a group of 3 friends who all loved Rush and we had 11th row center (closest I had ever been at any show at that time). Just partied our asses off, had an awesome time with three good friends, and have it engraved in my memory forever.

2004 - R30 in Clevelad. Front Row Center with ES-335. We were seats #12 and #13 out of 24 (DEAD center front row). The show began and we were up against the barrier, and the barrier (I swear, you can ask ES) was less than 2 feet from the stage. Geddy and Alex were playing within 3 feet of us at many times, giving us a chance to view their unparalelled talent up close. That was really cool. In addition, jsut the way our seats were, we could see Neil pounding them out and could actually HEAR the the hits on the drums, not through speaker/amplification, but actual hits, which was weird and VERY cool. The accoustic songs were a special treat from that perspective as well. I did drink too much though, I bought a BIG beer and a bottled water and drank it within the 1st 3 songs; when intermission came, I got 2 more "beer buckets", one for ES and one for me. I get down there and ES already has a beer bucket, so I had two to drink, which I finished around the time LaVilla Strangiato came on. I told ES a song back that I REALLY had to pee and should I just go right here in front of Geddy in an empty "beer bucket" and he will see me piss in a cup and I will be embarrassed, etc etc. This conversation is going on between us as the show is going. So this convo gets both of us laughing, so that is not good when I have to pee like this, so the rant comes and I say "Lee, I mean it, I have to go so bad my kidneys hurt, I pee in a cup or bolt to the bathroom." I bolted right as the rant started and made it back by start of the next song... But anyway, a great show, a phenominal performance by Geddy, Alex and Neil that night, and a memorable evening, engrained in my head forever.

QUOTE (Indica @ Sep 22 2004, 08:34 PM)

The one I saw with you, dude. Radio City, Heartland, Afterglow and Haz near us. Too cool for words.

Memorable show:

Presto Tour ...w/ Primus. The boys were playing in the outfield of Cooper Stadium (where the Yankees AAA affiliate Columbus Clippers play baseball). Decent sound.....little reverb coming back from the stands. We were dead center about 15 rows back.

Best Show:

R30 Cleveland - COMPLETELY DIFFERENT REASON THAN RR!!!! rofl3.gif

(and by the way Mike, you also had a bottle of water at intermission on top of the 2 beers)

5th row Geddy's side but it seem more like 2nd or 3rd row. GREAT SOUND. Good place to see a concert , party with friends and 'A Walk Through the Park' wink.gif

Hey Mike...we'll have to practice more cool10.gif at venues like Chris was doing from the top of the hill to our seats. (Still don't know how he gets away with it)

That's an easy one for me. R30 West Palm Beach, July 29, 2004. Is there anyone here who DOESN'T know I lucked into a front-row Geddy seat thanks to some awesome dudes (ES-335 and Vaportours) and rediscovered my lost youth, enthusiam for life, love of Rush, full head of hair, lost my beer gut, and all sorts of stuff I didn't even know I'd been missing. laugh.gif

(Well..... "sorta-kinda" on those last couple ones.) biggrin.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 22 2004, 10:14 PM)

I think I would have to split that up into 2 choices, I can't decide because each wre cool in their own way:

1988- Hold Your Fire in Cincinnati. Went with a group of 3 friends who all loved Rush and we had 11th row center (closest I had ever been at any show at that time). Just partied our asses off, had an awesome time with three good friends, and have it engraved in my memory forever.

2004 - R30 in Clevelad. Front Row Center with ES-335. We were seats #12 and #13 out of 24 (DEAD center front row). The show began and we were up against the barrier, and the barrier (I swear, you can ask ES) was less than 2 feet from the stage. Geddy and Alex were playing within 3 feet of us at many times, giving us a chance to view their unparalelled talent up close. That was really cool. In addition, jsut the way our seats were, we could see Neil pounding them out and could actually HEAR the the hits on the drums, not through speaker/amplification, but actual hits, which was weird and VERY cool. The accoustic songs were a special treat from that perspective as well. I did drink too much though, I bought a BIG beer and a bottled water and drank it within the 1st 3 songs; when intermission came, I got 2 more "beer buckets", one for ES and one for me. I get down there and ES already has a beer bucket, so I had two to drink, which I finished around the time LaVilla Strangiato came on. I told ES a song back that I REALLY had to pee and should I just go right here in front of Geddy in an empty "beer bucket" and he will see me piss in a cup and I will be embarrassed, etc etc. This conversation is going on between us as the show is going. So this convo gets both of us laughing, so that is not good when I have to pee like this, so the rant comes and I say "Lee, I mean it, I have to go so bad my kidneys hurt, I pee in a cup or bolt to the bathroom." I bolted right as the rant started and made it back by start of the next song... But anyway, a great show, a phenominal performance by Geddy, Alex and Neil that night, and a memorable evening, engrained in my head forever.

OMG RR, I was at the same show (hold your fire Cincinnati)and I was 10th row center. Small world huh?

Without a doubt, July 9th, 2004. Vapor Trails tour, Bristow, VA (Washington D.C. date). Most know my story of how my friend and I were able to score front row tickets to this show from like the 2nd to last row, section 300. No other concert I will ever go to, even if I get to see Rush front row again, will ever top that one. Not knowing they would play By-Tor and hearing it open up as the encore blew my mind.

Tour of the Hemispheres!! ...reasons:

First Rush concert

Neils kits was all acoustic, (Slingerland kit), yet with the tubular bells, glockenspeil and other goodies

2112 - orriginal shrilling melody for "Temples of Syrinx"..most of 2112 was played if not all.

Anthem, Flybynight,Bytor , Farewell to Kings, Bastille day , , Xanadu, Closer to the Heart.,Cinderella Man, Passage to Bankock, Something for nothing, Cygness x-1, All of Hemisheres-including the introduction of a well received first ever instrumental!....encores of abreiviated Finding my way, In the mood, and Working Man...anyway..The best of all the early material..nothing left behind..(drum solo of course)

Great Audience!!...The was only one appearance for Rush this tour, for Southern California, It was at the LongBeach arena for one night. The arena was maybe 75% full. In contrast, the following Permanent Waves tour had 2 shows at the LA Forum, 1 in Long Beach, and another in Riverside, for the Southern Ca shows, all because of the radio hit SOR, which was a great show too, but the audience for Hemispheres seem more like the hard core fan base. , where as the Permanent Waves tour had a bunch of people hangin at the snack bar while they waited for SOR. Even Geddy introduced "Natural Science" right after "SOR "..." We'd like to play something else from our Permanent Waves album...It's a little bit differrent...This is called Natural Science"...Even they new that there were a lot of newbies in the audience. This is not bad, but I have always had this pride about Rush, that my friends always commented how I loved this band, that no one has heard of. That ended with Permanent Waves....But at the Hemispheres show,I was in the audience with all the other fans who loved the band that no one knew about, except us. and what we knew , is that Rush was not only unknowned, but that they were the best, period. .....and they played the best show, longer than anyone we knew!..(except Yes)...PS...It is funny how popular OZ fest is these days, back in the day, Black Sabbath would come to town ,and play 4 drawn out songs for a total of 45 minutes, and that was the show! rofl3.gif

I don't have a whole lot of experiences to choose from, but:

THIS TOUR: R30 has to be the best. wink.gif

*10th row (seemed closer) Alex's side, opening show, Nashville

*Going to Vegas, driving in the desert PLUS seeing Rush at the MGM Grand

*Going to NYC!!!! and seeing Rush at Radio City Music Hall

Not to mention the incredible people who helped make all this possible...you know who you are, and I wub.gif you!!!!

I was at the Vegas show and the Phoenix show (this year). I have seen them every year since the Hemispheres tour. Backstage 4 times, met and mingled 4 times and enjoyed every last second of it!

I have to say that the latest shows are just amazing! They are better than ever, and I've seen just about all of it.

Mike

If I had to pick, it would have to be the VT show in Tampa. Simply because of their absence. It was so good to see them again after fearing they would never record or tour again. And what a return it was! What a set! Bytor and Cygnus in the encore? blew my freakin mind!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 26 2004, 10:37 PM)
I was at the Vegas show and the Phoenix show (this year). I have seen them every year since the Hemispheres tour. Backstage 4 times, met and mingled 4 times and enjoyed every last second of it!
I have to say that the latest shows are just amazing! They are better than ever, and I've seen just about all of it.

Mike

Mike, allow me to re-introduce myself...I'm your new best friend! LOL icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Met and mingled 4 times! WOW! Some of us are dying to do that just ONCE in our lifetime!

Do tell how that all came about, won't you?

Mike

Mike! where did you see the "Tour of the Hemishperes", and who opened for them,?? This was my 1st show as well...I just have not been the diligent fan ,like you, over the years!

QUOTE (faultline @ Sep 28 2004, 01:07 AM)

Mike

Mike! where did you see the "Tour of the Hemishperes", and who opened for them,?? This was my 1st show as well...I just have not been the diligent fan ,like you, over the years!

I didn't see them on hemispheres but my brother did and April Wine was with them then, that would have been an awesome show. My first concert was in 1979 (Styx and April Wine) and April Wine was awesome!!! My brother said it was the best tour that Rush ever had.

It's crazy that Rush only had 2 months between the end Hemispheres Tour to the start of the Permanent Waves Warm Up Tour, they were probably writing P/W as they were playing the warmup tour?? Because they had 3 1/2 months off between the P/w warmup tour and the actual tour.

QUOTE (faultline @ Sep 28 2004, 02:07 AM)

Mike

faultline, you can find info on every Rush tour, including dates, opening acts, etc. at the Power Windows website in the Tour Archives section. Heres the link http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/Tours.htm

It's a great source for Rush info.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 22 2004, 10:14 PM)

hey Mike ... that was a great reminder ... thanks, sorry I just now read it ... I loved that show ... even with the bathroom breaks!!! LOL! That was a great night.

Concerning the topic ... I have to go with R30 ... to me, it was the culmination of a 30 year love affair with RUSH ... I saw them twice front row and center ... got a pick from Alex in Atlanta ... ALso, got the opportunity to see them on opening night for the first time ... the anticipation was great ... also, got to meet some great folks that night ... RR, GG (for the second time smile.gif ) and many others ... it was a start of a wonderful summer of RUSH.

My second fav would be the first which was way back on the CoS "tour" when they opened for Kiss ... Dad took us ... mainly to see Kiss ... but I was already into RUSH and when I saw Alex with the tobacco sunburst ES-335 (similar to the one I had at the time) ... well ... the rest is history.

smile.gif

The third show of the Vapor Trails tour. My friend and planned for months to go see them if they tour after we heard they were going to release a new LP after a 5 year hiatus. We were so pumped up for this one! We partied all the way to Charlotte and grabbed a cooler of beer and partied in the parking lot along side the best, and well behaved Rush fans, that you could imagine. Such a festive atmosphere, no fighting, no BS, it was really special! Then came time for the mass exodus from the parking lot to the venue. We got inside, grabbed a couple of cold ones and found our seats. The next thing we know, BAM! They open with Tom Sawyer! Everyone went crazy, air drums, air guitar, and it didn't let up the entire show. The guys traded these smiles at each other during the show, which seemed to say, "Damn! Can you believe it?". They had the crowed by the short hairs the entire show. And we wouldn't have it any other way. It was emotional for the band as well as well as us. I would say the Hemispheres Tour, which was my first, comes in a close second. I'd never seen such music and showmanship before and yet, they were so polite to the crowd, always saying Ladies and Gentlemen, this is 2112, or a hearty thank you after a song followed by thunderous applause. Always the gentlemen. Of course, the R30 tour was most excellent, both shows I attended. Can't wait for the next one... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived