Jeremy Lin

Lost In Xanadu

Well, I'll be the first to admit that I do not follow the NBA, but it's almost impossible to avoid the news on this guy...

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/jeremy-lin-msg-fortune-cookie-530x567.jpg

Is this racist? It was shown at MSG on their jumbo-tron

Conan thought it was and asked what's next? and showed a few pictures:

http://teamcoco.com/video/jeremy-lin-graphics

Even one of Conan's writer's got in on it:

"Conan" writer Deon Cole is very impressed with overnight NBA star Jeremy Lin. In fact, he's a little too impressed. Cole makes it clear: He hopes that Asian people don't follow the Knicks player's lead by getting good at basketball as a race of people. Because in Cole's eyes, that's black peoples' territory.

"Let me do my 'I'm about to say something racist' look-around," Cole says, scanning the audience. "I'm nervous because I don't want Asians taking over basketball, like they took over hip-hop dancing."

But Cole concedes that maybe his people were asking for it. "I guess we hurt Asians as well when we came up with a rap group called Wu-Tang Clan."

Cole lists other jobs that he doesn't mind Asians taking over. But Cole really wants NBA left for his people. No matter how racist it might be.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that was a poster made by a fan that was showed on the video screen in arena not a graphic made by the organization. If it's racist it's on the fan but something tells me there is a good chance the fan may have been Asian American so then what?

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Feb 17 2012, 09:57 AM)
Well, I'll be the first to admit that I do not follow the NBA, but it's almost impossible to avoid the news on this guy...

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/jeremy-lin-msg-fortune-cookie-530x567.jpg
Is this racist? It was shown at MSG on their jumbo-tron

Conan thought it was and asked what's next? and showed a few pictures:
http://teamcoco.com/video/jeremy-lin-graphics

Even one of Conan's writer's got in on it:
"Conan" writer Deon Cole is very impressed with overnight NBA star Jeremy Lin. In fact, he's a little too impressed. Cole makes it clear: He hopes that Asian people don't follow the Knicks player's lead by getting good at basketball as a race of people. Because in Cole's eyes, that's black peoples' territory.

"Let me do my 'I'm about to say something racist' look-around," Cole says, scanning the audience. "I'm nervous because I don't want Asians taking over basketball, like they took over hip-hop dancing."

But Cole concedes that maybe his people were asking for it. "I guess we hurt Asians as well when we came up with a rap group called Wu-Tang Clan."

Cole lists other jobs that he doesn't mind Asians taking over. But Cole really wants NBA left for his people. No matter how racist it might be.

People are too damned sensitive. Nothing derogatory was intended.

Is this the beginning of the end of Linsanity? A league season high 9 TOs, and the Knicks lost to the Hornets.

Related question: Are you really a fan if you don't completely overreact to everything.

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Feb 18 2012, 09:44 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Feb 17 2012, 10:57 AM)
Is this racist?

No.....

But this sure is racist!!!

http://www.thehypertexts.com/mysterious_ways/Images/James-Cameron-Thomas-Shipp-Abram-Smith-8-7-1930-Marion-IN-1.jpg

This is necessary to post in this thread?

Yeah, its racist. Thanks for a great example.

ESPN is apologizing and backpedaling away from a headline reading "chink in the armor" about Jeremy Lin of the New York Knicks that appeared on its web site early Saturday morning.

ESPN says it is sorry for publishing what it calls an"offensive" headline around 2:30 A.M. after the New Orleans Hornets beat Lin's Knicks 89-85 to snap their 7-game winning streak. ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys issued a statement Saturday:

Last night, ESPN.com's mobile web site posted an offensive headline referencing Jeremy Lin at 2:30 am ET. The headline was removed at 3:05 am ET. We are conducting a complete review of our cross-platform editorial procedures and are determining appropriate disciplinary action to ensure this does not happen again. We regret and apologize for this mistake.

Asian-American groups have expressed concern about the growing use of racial stereotypes in media coverage about Lin. To make matters worse, an ESPN anchor used the phrase while interviewing Knicks legend Walt Frazier about possible weak spots in the young point guard's game.

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Feb 18 2012, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Feb 18 2012, 10:08 AM)

Yep....

Instead of bullshit PC racism.......

Pumpy posted "true" racism in context!

thanks for brightening our day with that disgusting photo.

i feel sorry for you.

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Feb 18 2012, 10:38 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Feb 18 2012, 09:17 PM)
i feel sorry for you.

Why?

Cause your a wiener head. hotdog.gif

Yep....

Out of context...you mean. Not funny, though I'm sure that was not your intent. No serious point was successfully made, which I tink was your intent. Pure fail.

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Feb 18 2012, 06:54 PM)

Yep....

So... unless we're hanging them, it's not racism? Is that really the road you want to go down?

Yep....

Pumpy, please don't post any more pics like that. We really didn't need that context demonstrated.

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 18 2012, 11:47 PM)
Pure fail.

Was not meant to be funny in any way, shape or form!

Fail?

I highly doubt it!

Observing a guy with a fortune cookie was silly......

Observing true racism stripped down to the bone is completely shocking!

Point made.....

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 19 2012, 02:47 AM)

Yep....

Pumpy, please don't post any more pics like that. We really didn't need that context demonstrated.

Okay.....

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 19 2012, 08:57 AM)
I'm Asian and I think that poster is awesome!

That's OK, I'll be offended for you.

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Feb 19 2012, 07:47 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 18 2012, 11:51 PM)
So... unless we're hanging them, it's not racism? Is that really the road you want to go down?

You missed the point!

No, I don't think I did. You posted a real picture of a fvcking LYNCHING and called it "true racism" and dismissed the fortune cookie picture as no big deal. Your point seems to be that killing people is racism, but mocking their race or ethnicity isn't.

Which is, frankly, ridiculous.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Feb 19 2012, 11:04 AM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 19 2012, 08:57 AM)
I'm Asian and I think that poster is awesome!

That's OK, I'll be offended for you.

Only offense is that Lin is Taiwanese and a fortune cookie is Chinese. His family is originally from China anyways other than that - brilliant!