Why do you NOT like Vapor Trails?

Presto-a RUSH fan!

Why do you dislike Vapor Trails & what's your reason(s)?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you dislike Vapor Trails & what's your reason(s)?

• I don't like the lyrics
    • I don't like the music
    • I don't like the lyrics or the music
    • I don't like the mixing and sound quality
    • All of the above
    • I LOVE VAPOR TRAILS despite the poor sound quality

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 12 2012, 07:26 PM)
You really are an odious little man, aren't you?

laugh.gif

Leave the boy alone, wank-face!

If we want any crap from you, we will squeeze your bloody head!!!

Now go eat.....

http://www.businessblunder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/anus_wrap.jpg

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Feb 12 2012, 08:28 PM)
I think Vapo(u)r Trails is fairly decent.  I think it was an upgrade from Test For Echo.  I like Alex's guitar tone through most of the album (assuming primarily Les Paul's).  My ear must not be that good, because I've never really been negative about the production value.

My biggest concern would be the lack of guitar solos (and the fact that I'm your stereotypical old Rush = good, new Rush = not as good).

I was like you, I never noticed the bad production value, but apparently RUSH has admitted as much. Which I found out on Wikipedia.

That said, here is a portion copied from Wikipedia and I think the last sentence answers a HUGE question many fans have had:

Criticism

The production of Vapor Trails has been criticized because of the album's "loud" sound quality. Albums such as this have been mastered so loud that additional digital distortion is generated during the production of the CD. The trend, known as the loudness war, has become very common on modern rock CDs.

As told by Rip Rowan on the ProRec website, the damaged production is the result of overly compressed (clipped) audio levels during mastering,[8] though Rush has admitted that there was digital distortion during recording, which also contributed to the damage. Remastering the album would not correct the damage from digital distortion that was introduced during recording, but it could correct the other, more destructive damage that is the result of overly compressing the audio during mastering.

On Retrospective 3, Richard Chycki, who recently worked with the band on the R30 and both the Snakes & Arrows album and live sets, remixed "One Little Victory", and "Earthshine". In an interview with Modern Guitars, Lifeson remarked that since the remixes were so good, there has been talk of doing an entire remix of the album.[9] He also stated:

It was a contest, and it was mastered too high, and it crackles, and it spits, and it just crushes everything. All the dynamics get lost, especially anything that had an acoustic guitar in it.

On February 4, 2011, the band announced that they would be remixing Vapor Trails in its entirety.[10]

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Feb 12 2012, 07:10 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 12 2012, 06:58 PM)
A mediocre album with a few half-decent tracks drowned out by super-shit production and mastering.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/10/7/1fee6691-2623-481a-ba01-69c77a867d43.jpg

Out of the whole album, I really like 4 of em, but the rest I can't stand. So I'd rank it a 4/10. Wasn't Rush's finest hour.

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Feb 12 2012, 08:35 PM)

laugh.gif

Now go eat.....

Thanks PumpkinHead trink39.gif

But simply letting him post, shows his true colors. I don't need anyone to back me up especially when it comes to him. But thanks again, I appreciate it! trink39.gif

Edited to add: goodpost.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif laugh.gif

Edited by Presto-a RUSH fan!

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Feb 12 2012, 06:28 PM)
My biggest concern would be the lack of guitar solos

I'm with you. I'm a big Lifeson fan anyway, but I gained a greater appreciation for his solos after hearing Vapor Trails. Quite a few of the songs on VT, as much as I like them, get a bit repetitive or seem to be missing something, even when they contain interesting interludes. One of Alex's distinct leads would've worked wonders for them.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 13 2012, 12:41 AM)

laugh.gif

Now go eat.....

But simply letting him post, shows his true colors. I don't need anyone to back me up especially when it comes to him. But thanks again, I appreciate it! trink39.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 12 2012, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 13 2012, 12:41 AM)

laugh.gif

Now go eat.....

rofl3.gif

Ok

QUOTE (johndyar @ Feb 12 2012, 08:07 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 12 2012, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (johndyar @ Feb 12 2012, 07:49 PM)
I really like Vapor Trails, especially Ceiling Unlimited. The production of the album just makes it very hard to listen to.

WOW....How is there not thread on your signature picture and the story that goes with it? Maybe there is, if so, please direct me to it.

It is from my daughter's Make-A-Wish. There is a link to more pictures above the one in my signature. Here is a link to her story that she submitted to Rush Is A Band.

Sam's Story

Wow. Such an amazing letter she wrote and an awesome story.

Thanks for sharing it.

As an album, Vapor Trails is impeccable. The band is back and their rocking faces off what is not to love?! Production quality aside (which I dont really mind) its really an awesome album, especially when driving a car long distances. This hate for VT I never understood, but to each his own. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

my short concise summary of VT:

Pros: Energetic, passionate, nice attempt at a comeback from the bands tragedy of the late '90s.

Cons: Too loud, too long, too convoluted. I literally can't sit through more than 3 songs in a row without getting exhausted.

If VT was completely remixed and remastered and three or four of the weaker songs were dropped, it would earn much more time in my weekly CD rotation instead of collecting dust in the drawer.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 12 2012, 06:29 PM)
It's relentless and does not let up, so it's hard for me to listen to the whole thing in one sitting. Too many songs sound similar and it's terribly paced.

goodpost.gif

This is basically my opinion too.

I'll put it this way...I think somewhere buried beneath all of the layering, clipping, and bludgeoning sound are some decent melodies, but I can never listen to the album long enough to hear them. My ears always need a break before the album ends.

I will forever be grateful for the album, though, since it signaled the return of my favorite band. yes.gif

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Feb 12 2012, 07:28 PM)
My ear must not be that good, because I've never really been negative about the production value.

I'm in this camp. Then again some of my favorite albums are from the 60s/early 70s and are pretty primitive sounding.

Songwise, I think everything on VT ranges from very good to great and as a whole it (or Counterparts) is probably my favorite post-Power Windows.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 12 2012, 03:51 PM)
Ok...inspired by rushgoober's hatred of Vapor Trails tongue.gif, I am curious as to what the rest of the TRF thinks on Vapor Trails. BUT...my question is if you don't like it, is it because of the music and/or lyrics? Or the bad sound quality? Or both?

And rushgoober, having read some of your book, I still can't believe you don't like the lyrical content of Vapor Trails. And yes, rushgoober has a book. It's a book of spiritual poetry which is very deep and very moving which I highly recommend if you are interested in poetry. And once you read some of it, you will be like, "how does he not like the lyrics on Vapor Trails?", let alone the music, despite the poor sound quality!

Sorry rushgoober to out you that you are really a deep spiritual and creative person! Now if I can only figure out what sickness you suffer from that prevents you from accepting that Vapor Trails is awesome! IMO, of course. tongue.gif laugh.gif

Wow, I inspired a whole thread! tongue.gif

Thanks for the compliments about my book! trink39.gif

In terms of the poll, I voted "all of the above" because that came closest, but in reality, the options were nowhere near comprehensive enough to cover all the reasons I can't stand this album!

If you like it, however, more power to you! trink39.gif

I'm in the "love it" camp, although I agree it's hard to listen to in its entirety. It has some truly powerful songs on it lyrically and musically and the noise factor sets a certain emotional tone to the album, irritating as can be.

I've said this many times, but I'll say it again. VT features some of Neil's most personal and emotionally honest lyrics, which I appreciate.

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Feb 12 2012, 07:10 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 12 2012, 06:58 PM)
A mediocre album with a few half-decent tracks drowned out by super-shit production and mastering.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/10/7/1fee6691-2623-481a-ba01-69c77a867d43.jpg

laugh.gif

I just love judging polls on the internet, they're always so bad tongue.gif

Why do you dislike Vapor Trails & what's your reason(s)?
I don't like the lyrics
I don't like the music
I don't like the lyrics or the music
I don't like the mixing and sound quality
All of the above
I LOVE VAPOR TRAILS despite the poor sound quality

I don't love it, but i certainly don't dislike it.... So much for voting on this one wink.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Feb 12 2012, 10:23 PM)
I'm in this camp. Then again some of my favorite albums are from the 60s/early 70s and are pretty primitive sounding.

FWIW, I am not an audiophile and I cannot 'hear' what's wring with VT from a production standpoint. However, it isn't about a lack of quality- its that the recording is so harsh on the ears that it causes discomfort to me when listening. I attribute this to the production because others (including the band and the sound engineer who mix and mastered my own album) have said the production was harsh. Also, live and remixed versions of the songs don't bother me.

But it's one thing to have a recording so poor it sounds like it was recorded by holding a glass up to the wall of the room the bad was playing in (how 'The Joshua Tree' sounds to me, for example) and another thing altogether when the recording induces a headache upon listening.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 12 2012, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 12 2012, 05:29 PM)
It's relentless and does not let up, so it's hard for me to listen to the whole thing in one sitting. Too many songs sound similar and it's terribly paced.

I actually agree with that, despite really enjoying the album's music. I find that the songs work better for me as part of a larger playlist, shuffled.

Same for me. The LOUD mixing/engineering does become more noticeable if you listen to the whole album at once.

I'm going to come across as naive and un-audiophillic (just made up a word, methinks), but I love Vapor Trails. If I had to choose only three Rush albums to listen to forevermore, it would be one of them (perhaps with Hemispheres and Counterparts). I like the sound of it. It's loud, it's raw, it's strong. I prefer this over the wimpier sound of, say, Presto. I get chills whenever 'Ceiling Unlimited' comes on (and I devoted an entire thread to my perceived awesomeness of that song!), or 'Ghost Rider', or the epicness of 'Freeze'. And not to forget 'Secret Touch', 'Earthshine', and 'How it Is'.

When I first heard an inkling that some people didn't like the sound of Vapor Trails, I was confused. I didn't get it, because it just sounds good to me. The first time hearing the songs on my headphones recently (as opposed to listening to it on a stereo system) made me appreciate it even more. Ah, the first time I heard 'Ghost Rider' this way... not often I get shivers for the entire duration of a song.

If a remixed album came out, I'd be interested in hearing it, but more as a curiosity than searching for an improvement. Crap production or not, I like the sound as it is, all Vapor Trails-y.

And I'm glad that I like it, because otherwise I'd be missing out on an awesome album!