Why do you NOT like Vapor Trails?

Presto-a RUSH fan!

Why do you dislike Vapor Trails & what's your reason(s)?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you dislike Vapor Trails & what's your reason(s)?

• I don't like the lyrics
    • I don't like the music
    • I don't like the lyrics or the music
    • I don't like the mixing and sound quality
    • All of the above
    • I LOVE VAPOR TRAILS despite the poor sound quality

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 29 2012, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Feb 29 2012, 03:07 PM)
Dreamline is a great song but I think it is overplayed live wise.

I've heard a bunch of people comment on the song being played live.

As far as I'm concerned, a song is great or it isn't, whether they've never played it live or played it every tour. Sorry, but I never get a song being played live or not being played live having anything to do with the quality of the studio version of the song.

I remember seeing the Snakes & Arrows tour, and I was really into every song. At some point, however, I found myself REALLY bored and my mind wandering. Then I realized they were playing Secret Touch. At least it wasn't sonically horrible like on the album, just boring. Hearing it live didn't magically make me appreciate the song like many suggested it would. Either a song is strong, or it's not.

It is a great song but imo there is something "formulaic" over it. Maybe I listened to it too much. I have the same thing with Bravado btw.

So hearing VT songs live doesnt bring forth hate. It is just boring...Now, that is a step in the right direction! laugh.gif

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Snowman @ Mar 1 2012, 01:43 AM)

As far as I'm concerned, a song is great or it isn't, whether they've never played it live or played it every tour. Sorry, but I never get a song being played live or not being played live having anything to do with the quality of the studio version of the song.

I remember seeing the Snakes & Arrows tour, and I was really into every song. At some point, however, I found myself REALLY bored and my mind wandering. Then I realized they were playing Secret Touch. At least it wasn't sonically horrible like on the album, just boring. Hearing it live didn't magically make me appreciate the song like many suggested it would. Either a song is strong, or it's not.

It is a great song but imo there is something "formulaic" over it. Maybe I listened to it too much. I have the same thing with Bravado btw.

So hearing VT songs live doesnt bring forth hate. It is just boring...Now, that is a step in the right direction! laugh.gif

laugh.gif

You make that sound so optimistic!

Let's just say I was REALLY into the Rush concert and that song completely took the wind out of my sails until it was mercifully over.

In terms of Dreamline, I guess there was a certain formulaic quality to the lyrics that Neil was favoring around that time, but the whole chorus part is so awesome that it more than makes up for any other VERY minor lyrical deficiencies IMHO. Then again, if you overplayed it or overheard it, I guess that's just the way it is. Personally, there are NO Rush songs I love that I think are overplayed. I don't care how many times I've heard Tom Sawyer or Limelight or Closer to the Heart - they're awesome EVERY TIME! yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 1 2012, 03:47 AM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Mar 1 2012, 01:43 AM)

laugh.gif

You make that sound so optimistic!

Let's just say I was REALLY into the Rush concert and that song completely took the wind out of my sails until it was mercifully over.

In terms of Dreamline, I guess there was a certain formulaic quality to the lyrics that Neil was favoring around that time, but the whole chorus part is so awesome that it more than makes up for any other VERY minor lyrical deficiencies IMHO. Then again, if you overplayed it or overheard it, I guess that's just the way it is. Personally, there are NO Rush songs I love that I think are overplayed. I don't care how many times I've heard Tom Sawyer or Limelight or Closer to the Heart - they're awesome EVERY TIME! yes.gif

wink.gif I am positive by nature.

I agree that great songs like Tom Sawyer, La Villa, etc cant be overplayed live. Though, there are so many Rush songs I would like to experience live.

I whish they could change more the songs that does not belong to the "Core" songs on every tour.

Normally they pick 2-3 songs that have not been played live at all, or in a long time.

Could we hope for Countdown, or After Image?

Regarding lyrics on VT, I dont find them so openly "preachy" as on S&A.

What is your take on that (probably discussed extensively earlier in this thread)?

I find that several lyrics deals with Neils losses and how he has worked with them and how he managed to surface amongst the living (after his extended bike trip desribed in Ghost Rider, the book and the song).

I listened to Vapor Trails all day today while driving and I still can't believe that some people don't like this album. I get the sound quality argument, although I didn't have a clue about it until I read it on TRF. But I am still shocked that people hate it. I can understand it not being a favorite or even just liking it, but hating it? I will never understand that. I understand it's all someone's personal taste and I am not trying to convince anyone to like it...I am just shocked that people don't. confused13.gif

Call me a fanboy or msn_sheep.png or whatever you want. But I don't skip one song on that album. I'm not saying they are all great, I'm just saying there isn't one I am just "eh" and skip over. I love Presto and I will occasionally skip over Available Light as it's not one of my favorites...I don't hate it, but I will skip it occasionally. But VT....no skips for me. no.gif

To each his/her own!

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 1 2012, 06:22 PM)
I listened to Vapor Trails all day today while driving and I still can't believe that some people don't like this album. I get the sound quality argument, although I didn't have a clue about it until I read it on TRF. But I am still shocked that people hate it. I can understand it not being a favorite or even just liking it, but hating it? I will never understand that. I understand it's all someone's personal taste and I am not trying to convince anyone to like it...I am just shocked that people don't. confused13.gif

Call me a fanboy or msn_sheep.png or whatever you want. But I don't skip one song on that album. I'm not saying they are all great, I'm just saying there isn't one I am just "eh" and skip over. I love Presto and I will occasionally skip over Available Light as it's not one of my favorites...I don't hate it, but I will skip it occasionally. But VT....no skips for me. no.gif

To each his/her own!

I feel the same way about Presto as you do VT, but people still don't like Presto.

confused13.gif

To each his/her own!

Its the best album to drive too, definitely makes the album stand out. I love VT its a really good album and rocks really hard which is a very good thing. Also, Available Light is one of my favorites off Presto haha 653.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 1 2012, 10:41 PM)
I listened to Vapor Trails all day today while driving and I still can't believe that some people don't like this album.  I get the sound quality argument, although I didn't have a clue about it until I read it on TRF.  But I am still shocked that people hate it.  I can understand it not being a favorite or even just liking it, but hating it?  I will never understand that.  I understand it's all someone's personal taste and I am not trying to convince anyone to like it...I am just shocked that people don't.  confused13.gif

Call me a fanboy or  msn_sheep.png or whatever you want.  But I don't skip one song on that album.  I'm not saying they are all great, I'm just saying there isn't one I am just "eh" and skip over.  I love Presto and I will occasionally skip over Available Light as it's not one of my favorites...I don't hate it, but I will skip it occasionally.  But VT....no skips for me.  no.gif

To each his/her own!

I feel the same way about Presto as you do VT, but people still don't like Presto.

confused13.gif

Don't get me wrong on Presto...if it wasn't for Presto, I most likely wouldn't be the huge RUSH fan I am today. My first concert was Presto and I enjoyed all the songs that everyone knew, Freewill, Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio, but I loved every song they played off Presto. So that was the first RUSH cassette I ever bought. Then I wore it out and had to buy another! At the same time I started buying all the others, starting with Moving Pictures and 2112 and so on. Before the TMT I would have swore they actually played "Presto" on that tour but they didn't.

Here is the set list from the Presto tour (thanks Power Windows website). What a great concert that was!

Intro (A Show of Hands video)

Force Ten

Freewill

Distant Early Warning

Time Stand Still

Subdivisions

Marathon

Red Barchetta

Superconductor

Show Don't Tell (preceeded Superconductor until 2/22)

The Pass

Closer To The Heart

Manhattan Project

Xanadu

YYZ

The Rhythm Method (Drum solo)

Scars

War Paint

Mission

Tom Sawyer

Encore: The Big Money (replaced by The Spirit of Radio 4/2)

2112 (Overture)

La Villa Strangiato

In The Mood

Wipe Out