Dallas Cowboys

Collusion case against Broncos and Cowboys could still proceed

Posted by Mike Florio on July 22, 2015, 12:33 PM EDT

jones2.jpg?w=245

The NFL Players Association reportedly intended to pursue a collusion case against the Broncos and Cowboys if receivers Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant, respectively, didn’t get new long-term deals before last Wednesday’s deadline for signing franchise-tagged players to multi-year contracts. The implication that it would all go away if they sign new contracts may not apply.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFLPA is still assessing whether to proceed with the collusion case. Specifically, the NFLPA has not lifted the notice requiring the teams to preserve any emails, text messages, or other documents that could be relevant to the case.

On one hand, it will be difficult for Thomas or Bryant to prove that they suffered any tangible financial loss due to collusion, given that they both signed five-year, $70 million contracts. On the other hand, if the Broncos and Cowboys violated the CBA by colluding, there’s value to all players in exposing it, since it could prevent other teams from doing it in the future.

Also, the mere threat of a viable collusion case could be used to squeeze the NFL into a settlement or some other agreement that benefits the players generally.

The decision ultimately may come down to whether the NFLPA feels strongly about the evidence that has been harvested. For now, the NFLPA has one key shred of proof: Expected testimony from Bryant that Cowboys COO Stephen Jones said during a phone conversation that Jones spoke to Broncos G.M. John Elway about the Bryant/Thomas negotiations.

To get more evidence, the case needs to proceed to the discovery process. And it’s possible that there will be other evidence. No one will know that unless and until the NFLPA decides to proceed with a collusion case.

Which means that the best move for now would be to proceed with the discovery process, and see what happens.

Agreed. I say 5 overall for his career vs others in the league. If he repeats last year, he will move up.

A Super Bowl puts him in the Hall of Fame.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves now, it's July not January.

Agreed. I say 5 overall for his career vs others in the league. If he repeats last year, he will move up.

You're discounting the very real possibility that he'll be bodily assumed into heaven in week 5.

• Like 1

You're discounting the very real possibility that he'll be bodily assumed into heaven in week 5.

Possibly. That's the only thing that can stop him. We are going to have a huge year.

Possibly. That's the only thing that can stop him. We are going to have a huge year.

Maybe. There's a likelihood that he could get injured. Or the entire defensive lineup could be suspended for being high, drunk, or beating women. Any of those things happen and Cowboy stock will go down quicker than Jerry's female visitors in the owner's box.

Maybe. There's a likelihood that he could get injured. Or the entire defensive lineup could be suspended for being high, drunk, or beating women. Any of those things happen and Cowboy stock will go down quicker than Jerry's female visitors in the owner's box.

I wouldn't bet against it.

How far do you thing we'll go? Seriously?

I think, assuming the health of all of the teams that the Cowboys will be one of the three best teams in the NFC, with the Seahawks and the Packers. They definitely have the easiest divisional path which may give them HFA throughout the playoffs. But I still think the Seahawks and Packers are slightly better.

I think, assuming the health of all of the teams that the Cowboys will be one of the three best teams in the NFC, with the Seahawks and the Packers. They definitely have the easiest divisional path which may give them HFA throughout the playoffs. But I still think the Seahawks and Packers are slightly better.

I don't think the Packers have enough defense. But I do think they have the best quarterback in the league.

Think the NFL (and a lot of us fans) would absolutely love an NFC Championship game between the Cowboys and Packers? A rematch of "the catch".

I see what you did there... :)

Think the NFL (and a lot of us fans) would absolutely love an NFC Championship game between the Cowboys and Packers? A rematch of "the catch".

Not me. :) :)

Not anyone except Packers and Girls fans, obviously.

• Like 2

You realise we're gonna come back to this thread and have some fun for a few months if you don't? ;)

You guys have Tebow now, so when Bradford goes down in the first week of the preseason, you'll be set.

• Like 1

You guys have Tebow now, so when Bradford goes down in the first week of the preseason, you'll be set.

Set for prayer and running.

• Like 1

You realise we're gonna come back to this thread and have some fun for a few months if you don't? ;)

I can take it. I just want you to admit we are damn good when the time comes. And it's coming soon.

I can take it. I just want you to admit we are damn good when the time comes. And it's coming soon.

Not soon enough for me! :clap:

Not soon enough for me! :clap:

That's a two way street cowboy!