Dallas Cowboys

The clucking hens at ESPN claim these off season moves not the doing of Jerry Jones. Anybody buying that?

Well, since they actually make football sense, yes...

Signing AD on the other hand, smacks of Jerruhism...

Edited by laughedatbytime

I firmly believe Stephen is in charge now. Which is a good thing.

That's what the local media down here is saying.

And, I say, thank God. We've been waiting for this moment for YEARS.

It was getting damn close to having a mob with torches and pitchforks outside of the Deathstar.

I firmly believe Stephen is in charge now. Which is a good thing.

That's what the local media down here is saying.

And, I say, thank God. We've been waiting for this moment for YEARS.

It was getting damn close to having a mob with torches and pitchforks outside of the Deathstar.

Don't set down that pitchfork just yet:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cowboys-agree-deal-pass-rusher-greg-hardy-201211477--nfl.html;_ylt=A0LEVjKV2wpViSMAqrgnnIlQ

Only $745,000 guaranteed. A good deal. And let's get past this " how dare they take on a player with such bad character." This is the NFL. That boat sailed a long time ago. Any team that now states they wouldn't have signed him, is just pissed that they didn't.
  • Like 1

And let's get past this " how dare they take on a player with such bad character." This is the NFL. That boat sailed a long time ago. Any team that now states they wouldn't have signed him, is just pissed that they didn't.

"how dare they take on a cozy relationship with a brutal dictator." This is the USA. That boat sailed a long time ago.

Different teams have different standards but character has to matter in the equation. Especially now with the NFL at least appearing to be concerned aboot domestic violence, where the debate may lie is he was not convicted.

• Like 1

Only $745,000 guaranteed. A good deal. And let's get past this " how dare they take on a player with such bad character." This is the NFL. That boat sailed a long time ago. Any team that now states they wouldn't have signed him, is just pissed that they didn't.

This is a man who was convicted of domestic violence. The only reason he is a free man is because his accuser conveniently could not be located during the appeal. That doesn't mean he isn't guilty of violent acts. People who know him also report that he has major issues. That boat has sailed? What is wrong with you? That boat has just now docked with the NFL to where they finally have to answer to the issue. That the Cowboys are choosing to look past his potential for violence off the field for what he could potentially do for them on the field is reprehensible. It proliferates the antiquated NFL position on domestic violence. Sickening.

• Like 1

This is a man who was convicted of domestic violence. The only reason he is a free man is because his accuser conveniently could not be located during the appeal. That doesn't mean he isn't guilty of violent acts.

I stand corrected that is a different boat!

What's wrong with me?? Look around the NFL. That was my point. Bunch of angels right? If we are going to have standards - and we should - then there are a lot of players who should be out of the league. My point was there are many teams who would love to have this guy for his on field ability. To claim they wouldn't is naive. Unless you are willing to stop watching, as a fan, you / we are complicit in these guys getting paid. And if you read the details of this case, as is often the case, there are questions. I am by no means standing up for this guy, but this is the NFL. Let's see if they suspend him for a long time.

We do so love our gladiator sport of football don’t we? Who doesn’t love the big hit? What makes the spectacular catch so special is that they could have just as easily had their head taken off. What sort of people do we expect to be willing to play this game and be good at it? People that are aggressive and who have a high tolerance for risk. These are the exact same types of people we should expect to have other similar exceptional behaviors that include violence and a lack of risk aversion. Its just common sense.

The real question here is if we are willing to give up our gladiator sport because of the behavior of gladiators. I’m just worldly enough to want to keep the circuses. Parents just need to teach their daughters (or sons I suppose) to not value money over being treated well. Wealth in no way equals quality of life.

Real football is already dead. It’s just a question of how much longer we continue to support the current version, and how quickly TPTB dumb it down. The puppy superbowl may soon become more popular.

This is a man who was convicted of domestic violence. The only reason he is a free man is because his accuser conveniently could not be located during the appeal. That doesn't mean he isn't guilty of violent acts. People who know him also report that he has major issues. That boat has sailed? What is wrong with you? That boat has just now docked with the NFL to where they finally have to answer to the issue. That the Cowboys are choosing to look past his potential for violence off the field for what he could potentially do for them on the field is reprehensible. It proliferates the antiquated NFL position on domestic violence. Sickening.

This signing smacks of Jerry. I guess he's still around to throw a wrench in every now and then. We need a pass rusher desperately but not this one.
  • Like 2

This signing smacks of Jerry. I guess he's still around to throw a wrench in every now and then. We need a pass rusher desperately but not this one.

EX-actly. So much for passing the torch. And, it makes me feel more like the only reason Jason Garrett is still around is for his Yes Man-ness. So, Hardy is one of the leading pass rushers in the NFL. Yet, his own team unloaded him and only few other teams showed any interest in him. Hmmmm.... I wonder why, if he is such a great player, and the NFL doesn't care about off-field character? But, we hypocritical fans need to just shut up. After all, we still watch the game and are responsible for guys like this being able to still draw a massive paycheck. Tsk, tsk... :tsk:

• Like 1

We do so love our gladiator sport of football don’t we? Who doesn’t love the big hit? What makes the spectacular catch so special is that they could have just as easily had their head taken off. What sort of people do we expect to be willing to play this game and be good at it? People that are aggressive and who have a high tolerance for risk. These are the exact same types of people we should expect to have other similar exceptional behaviors that include violence and a lack of risk aversion. Its just common sense.

The real question here is if we are willing to give up our gladiator sport because of the behavior of gladiators. I’m just worldly enough to want to keep the circuses. Parents just need to teach their daughters (or sons I suppose) to not value money over being treated well. Wealth in no way equals quality of life.

Real football is already dead. It’s just a question of how much longer we continue to support the current version, and how quickly TPTB dumb it down. The puppy superbowl may soon become more popular.

Real football died when form tackling became illegal and the defensive backs weren't allowed to fight for the ball. I couldn't agree with you more.
  • Like 1

I guess the intended sarcasm in my first post didn't come through. We all get our backs up at different times when these questionable characters get rewarded with big bucks. So where do you draw the line? Is Hardy the worst person in the NFL? Some would say yes, others no. They will continue to play and we will continue to watch. Is the NFL really and truly answering to the issue?

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mickey. But, I don't care. Period. I am sick of the Cowboys reputation of signing thugs and punks.

Thus ends my defending my position on this. I don't care if you agree or disagree with me. I stand by my opinion.

Sometimes you've got to love someone or something, warts and all, because you just do. BTW. I do think Garrett is a high character guy and not a puppet. I think he's smart enough to pick and choose his battles. He gave in to Jerry on this one. Hopefully, this will be enough to tie Jerry over to get past the draft that must be a success.
  • Like 1

Jerry Jones’s daughter defends Greg Hardy signing

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 22, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT

charlottejonesanderson.jpeg?w=250

Charlotte Jones Anderson, the daughter of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and the team’s Executive Vice President/Chief Brand Officer, is defending the signing of Greg Hardy, who missed all but one game of last season after a domestic violence accusation.

Anderson, who serves on the Conduct Committee that the NFL started in response to the domestic violence issues that plagued the league, told the Dallas Morning News that the Cowboys are doing the right thing by giving Hardy a second chance.

“A lot of people say this is awful, but they don’t know what to do,’’ Anderson said. “That’s why this is such an incredible opportunity. That’s why I’m not afraid of this move. I’m a mom. I’ve got a daughter, I’ve got two sons. This is a serious issue for me, personally. I want my kids to know that domestic violence is not acceptable. But I also want them to know that if they make a mistake, no matter what the issue is, I’m not just going to throw them out. I’ve got to help them come back and make a better choice. This is an opportunity to really make a significant impact. This is very powerful and it’s very important, and important for me personally. I think you will look back and you will say this is the right move for the Cowboys.’’

For the Cowboys on the field, there’s little doubt that adding a great pass rusher like Hardy will turn out to be a good move. For now, the Cowboys are insisting publicly that they’re doing the right thing off the field as well. But the Cowboys are taking a public relations hit that could turn into a disaster if Hardy finds himself on the wrong side of the law again.

Real football died when form tackling became illegal and the defensive backs weren't allowed to fight for the ball. I couldn't agree with you more.

Yep,

The defensive backs were allowed to make contact until the ball was in the air. Now it favors the offense where the receivers get away with pushing off.

Edited by troutman