Dallas Cowboys

Very possible, but it is a home game and that makes a big difference with this team, this year. I will go into the first round feeling somewhat confident, but not surprised if they blow it.

Well over all a pretty good season. A young team that will hopefully take the next step next season.

Not until we get rid of Garrett. He simply doesn't adjust during the game. I want him out.

I think he's a good 'walk around coach' and motivator. Bad in game coach. Fear not, his days are numbered.

Well over all a pretty good season. A young team that will hopefully take the next step next season.

Not until we get rid of Garrett. He simply doesn't adjust during the game. I want him out.

I think he's a good 'walk around coach' and motivator. Bad in game coach. Fear not, his days are numbered.

Yes. All indications are that the players love him. He has improved as an in game coach but still not nearly good enough.

Ezekiel Elliot so far hasn't attended any pre-season meetings or strength camps and didn't take the team plane to pre-season training in California. Some folks are saying he's going to sit out until he gets a new contract. This year he is supposed to make $3,900,000 and next year $9,100,000. He signed a contract of his own, free will (if we have that) yet he seems to think he's not getting paid enough and apparently isn't going to honor his end of the deal. If that's the case, I hope Jerry Jones tells him to enjoy his time off, not getting paid, and will welcome him back when/if he decides to go back.

If you or I pulled a stunt like this, we'd be fired. Why do these coddled athletes get preferential treatment?

• Like 2

Because the Cowboys "need" Zeke more than your workplace needs you. Maybe. Definitely more than my workplace needs me. I could be replaced by a willing line of applicants, some of whom might do my job nearly as well as me, but "nearly as well" in the NFL is the difference between 12-4 and 8-8.

Elliott wants to get paid because he knows the shelf life of a running back these days is 4-6 years. He's trying to get the Cowboys to buy while the demand is high.

Don't get me wrong, he did sign a contract, and I wish he would honor it, but I don't feel much sympathy for Jerry (Cowboys still the highest-valued franchise in world sports), and given the battering football players take, I find it hard to fault the guy for grabbing what he can.

Of course, I'm still hoping he just doesn't want to show up for that much training camp, and he'll come in soon.

Maybe I'm overestimating how special Elliott is (the Steelers replaced Bell pretty handily), but the Cowboys need the running game to keep the pressure off Dak so he can find those wideouts.

Like others have said upthread, Garrett is a weak link for the offense, and I hope Moore can do some impressive things -- but his job will be harder without Zeke Elliott.

The Cowboys have to balance signing Prescott, Amari and Zeke + a few others coming up. I am more upset about Zeke trying to jump the line. Prescott and Cooper have expiring contracts and should be the priority. If Zeke is willing to take a bit of a discount because of this, maybe they can reach a deal.
  • Like 1

Okay, so now Zeke's gone to hang out in Cabo -- that doesn't seem too team-spirited when the other 100 guys are sweating through two-a-days. I really hope this doesn't screw with team chemistry, which has seemed a positive in recent years.
  • Like 1

Eh, what do we really learn from preseason? I want Zeke back! I'd feel a lot more positive if he were in camp, but we'll go on without him. If the O-line can give Dak time, he'll do some damage. I do like the way the defense is looking.

I'm cautiously optimistic. 11-5.

• Like 1

Well, now. I'm no fan of Jerry Jones, exactly, I think his delusions of expertise are harmful to the team and his refusal to admit when he's wrong has stuck us with Jason Garrett, among other mediocrities, but we all knew he was going to pay Zeke. I don't know if that makes him a pussy or a pragmatist, but he had the E. Smith precedent and really didn't want to lose of couple of games before the deal got done (probably would have added 5 million to the deal).

Pressure's on you, now, Elliott! A third rushing title in four years would be a nice ROI.

Edited by Nova Carmina

I was kind of hoping they would make him sit without a contract for at least one game to make a point. He better earn his keep now!

If history holds, he'll not have as good a year as he has had because he's got a fat contract and doesn't have to work as hard anymore. It happens with almost every player.

• Like 1