Oberheim OB-X VSTi

Oberheim

Hey guys,

New to the forums! I'm a big Rush fan, and seeing as Geddy Lee used the Oberheim OB-X for Moving Pictures, I figured I'd demonstrate the equivalent soft synth.

I figured I'd replicate the intro to "Camera Eye".

http://soundcloud.com/synthoid/camera-eye-intro

Here's the wonderful plug in. I'm a patch designer for that developer and a few others, and I've got a number of Rush patches.

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/obx/welcome.html

Have a listen, and make the purchase!

-Aye, gov' music.gif

Edited by Oberheim

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Jan 26 2012, 10:15 AM)
hey it sounds great!
My keyboard player actually bought the very Oberheim synth from Geddy that was used on the recording.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (ptesone @ Feb 3 2012, 01:33 PM)
The absolute best Oberheim VST synth out there!

I iotally agree

Any chance you are also Oberheim who posted this? Your two other posts make it curious to me.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Feb 3 2012, 10:42 AM)
QUOTE (ptesone @ Feb 3 2012, 01:33 PM)
The absolute best Oberheim VST synth out there!

I iotally agree

Any chance you are also Oberheim who posted this? Your two other posts make it curious to me.

Different IP addresses. Which means 2 different computers on different networks. Doesn't mean 1 person can't connect from two different machines (home, work, etc).

Your friendly neighborhood Moderator. smile.gif

On the Mac side will it only work with the full Reaktor5 or will the Reaktor5 Player do? I have PCs for production but all of my main machines for production are Mac OS.

The Camera Eye is spot on! I want to hear your other patches.

Well, unfortunately no.

The OP-X Pro II plug in is for PC. There was a version made for Reaktor, but it doesn't have all of the features needed for these patches to be compatible.

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/obx/products.html

Scroll down to OP-X Pro II. That's the one. If ya got the extra dough laying around, I'd say this is a sound investment (and no, I'm not trying to be a salesman) as it is simple THE best Oberheim plug in.

Now, here's the updated version (different from the link above)

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21439012/Rush.rar

As well as a medley of all the patches played.

http://soundcloud.com/synthoid/rush-patches

Patch listing:

1: Jacob's Ladder strings

2: Red Barchetta pad

3: Tom Sawyer bass growl

4: Tom Sawyer String lead

5: Camera Eye Brass

6: Camera Eye Strings

7: Camera Eye Outro PWM

8: Yyz Brass

9: Witch Hunt Massive Brass

10: Subdivisions Unison bass

11: Subdivisions Brass pad

12: Losing It Sequence

13: Countdown Brass

14: Piss take on the Minimoog lead from Countdown, made by switching the above patch into Unison.

So, there ya have it!

-Adam

I have to admit, after spending countless hours trying to program some halfway decent similar patches for "The Camera Eye" on the Roland D-50, this one really impressed me and quite possibly changed my mind about using Virtual Synths on stage... I've had nightmare experiences with PC's crashing on-stage with another original band and as a result, always refused to use SoftSynths in my Rush tribute band, but I am re-thinking my position after hearing this. This REALLY sounds amazing!!!!

Here's my results for comparison. All keyboard sounds are coming from either D-50 or multi-timbral D-550. A valiant effort, but not as close as the OB-X Pro II... (And no, I am not affiliated with the company!)

Camera Eye Video from PW

Hey! I'm glad I could help you change your mind!

The best way to use plug-ins on stage is with something like this:

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/opxpro2/purchase.html

The Receptor version (assuming you have a Receptor module) will allow you to get your Rush on with the OP-X Pro II vst, contained within the dedicated module.

If not that, then just buy a cheap laptop, disable as many processes as possible, (Windows 7 would be most efficient) and you should be golden. When I was in highschool, I demonstrated this synth to some friends on a teacher laptop.... worked flawlessly. It doesn't need any security device (like a dongle) and has NEVER EVER crashed on me on ANY system. I'd have to say that not only does it sound amazing, but f**k me it's reliable aswell. biggrin.gif

Your attempt is legit, but the D-50 is a Digital LA synth..... so trying to get individual voices to sound different is...... well, not possible. The key is that each voice is a little bit different in terms of filter freq, resonance, tuning, ADSR, all that. (You probably know all this) but not many VSTs do this. What I think really makes the Oberheim sound is the panning of each voice around the stereo field. Can you imagine playing live, with a proper amp set-up, full stereo? Hitting the audience with each note going L, R, L, R, L, R..... just like Rush did back in the day with the Oberheims? With my speakers (BIG ones), it just hits you like a wall!

That's the kind of power I expect people to receive when I play it for them. "Sit here" I tell them, then I play a chord. WOOOOSH!

This is derailing........

Yeah, I'm just glad I could show you. Also, keep in mind that both demos are highly compressed audio.... not HQ....

-Adam

That's too bad. The hitch for me is that my performance machine is a MacBook Pro. It doesn't make sense to carry a second laptop just for one synth. Granted it sounds great but if I can't integrate into the Mac environment it's not much use to me. I could probably partition my drive to run Windows on the Mac, but that would mean a reboot. Not exactly handy mid-set. Reason does a more than satisfactory job replicating these tones. I know you're not the developer, but they should know that many audio pros prefer working in Mac OS over Windows. If I just needed the tones for recording then I may get a copy. I might get it just to sample for other use.

Decisions...

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Mar 17 2012, 06:55 PM)
That's too bad. The hitch for me is that my performance machine is a MacBook Pro. It doesn't make sense to carry a second laptop just for one synth. Granted it sounds great but if I can't integrate into the Mac environment it's not much use to me. I could probably partition my drive to run Windows on the Mac, but that would mean a reboot. Not exactly handy mid-set. Reason does a more than satisfactory job replicating these tones. I know you're not the developer, but they should know that many audio pros prefer working in Mac OS over Windows. If I just needed the tones for recording then I may get a copy. I might get it just to sample for other use.

Decisions...

You could try running Windows in a Virtual Machine on your Mac using VMWare Fusion 4, then you can run Windows without rebooting.

I just got a new Macbook Pro and need to install Fusion, I will give OB-X a try in this environment and see how it works, but its only like 50 bucks now for Fusion, so it is worth a try.

The VMWare solution is only $50. I am going to give it a shot. We shall see. It will be invaluable if so.

QUOTE (Oberheim @ Mar 17 2012, 09:33 AM)
Well, unfortunately no.

The OP-X Pro II plug in is for PC. There was a version made for Reaktor, but it doesn't have all of the features needed for these patches to be compatible.

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/obx/products.html

Scroll down to OP-X Pro II. That's the one. If ya got the extra dough laying around, I'd say this is a sound investment (and no, I'm not trying to be a salesman) as it is simple THE best Oberheim plug in.

Now, here's the updated version (different from the link above)

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21439012/Rush.rar

As well as a medley of all the patches played.

http://soundcloud.com/synthoid/rush-patches

Patch listing:

1: Jacob's Ladder strings

2: Red Barchetta pad

3: Tom Sawyer bass growl

4: Tom Sawyer String lead

5: Camera Eye Brass

6: Camera Eye Strings

7: Camera Eye Outro PWM

8: Yyz Brass

9: Witch Hunt Massive Brass

10: Subdivisions Unison bass

11: Subdivisions Brass pad

12: Losing It Sequence

13: Countdown Brass

14: Piss take on the Minimoog lead from Countdown, made by switching the above patch into Unison.

So, there ya have it!

-Adam

Is there any way to get that Losing It sample in WAV or MP3 format?