INDIAN FOOD

Nate2112

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 4 2012, 06:20 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 3 2012, 12:58 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHian62 @ Feb 3 2012, 05:36 AM)
Indian Food is good at a restaurant, do not cook it at your house- it will smell forever!!

By "forever" do you mean just a couple of hours? pokey.gif

Well, I know better than to bring leftover Indian food to work for lunch. It's true; the smell does linger, and it is unmistakeable. I don't find it at all unpleasant, but others might.

Shit, others might find the color of my lunch box offensive. So yeah, they can deal with it. It's not like I'm eating a human foot for lunch. unsure.gif

QUOTE (meera @ Feb 26 2012, 04:47 PM)
I love indian food. It is extremely healthy for you because most gourmet indian recipes do not call for any meat!

And when is meat unhealthy?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 4 2012, 12:31 AM)
Indian Food is good at a restaurant, do not cook it at your house- it will smell forever!!

Well, I know better than to bring leftover Indian food to work for lunch. It's true; the smell does linger, and it is unmistakeable. I don't find it at all unpleasant, but others might.

Shit, others might find the color of my lunch box offensive. So yeah, they can deal with it. It's not like I'm eating a human foot for lunch. unsure.gif

I love the smell of Indian food. I make Indian dishes frequently. One spice however, which is used in almost every dish has a very, very potent smell and I think that's the one that gives this distinct odor that lingers. It's called garam masala. I have a massive jar of it in my pantry! To me, it's a wonderful smell. But, it is potent and it definitely lingers. You can't beat the amazing taste it gives to food though.

QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 26 2012, 09:13 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 4 2012, 12:31 AM)

I love the smell of Indian food. I make Indian dishes frequently. One spice however, which is used in almost every dish has a very, very potent smell and I think that's the one that gives this distinct odor that lingers. It's called garam masala. I have a massive jar of it in my pantry! To me, it's a wonderful smell. But, it is potent and it definitely lingers. You can't beat the amazing taste it gives to food though.

I LOVE that stuff Janie! I also use cumin a lot in my cooking. smile.gif

I have some next door neighbors who are Indian, and when they cook...OMG! Luckily, there is a killer Indian restaurant that is about 5 minutes from my house. It can get kind of pricey for dinner, but the Lunch buffet is where it's at.

I could eat butter chicken, Basmati rice, and naan every day and never get tired of it. And the spices they rub on the tandori chicken are excellent, as well.

• Like 1

Indian Food is amazing, typically I have a high endurance for Spice.

My favorite Indian dish is probably: Chicken Vindaloo, It is awesome to the power of infinity, or as Dave Lister from Red Dwarf would probably say "It is Fan-Smegging-Tastic."

Edited by Thebuckeye2112
  • Like 1

I love Indian Food. Even if I can't pronounce the names right.

A couple of times I went to a place that had Indian Food from the north. So it was like a blend of Chinese and Indian. Like Chinese food with Indian spices. Delicious.

It's the only food I really really love. Got a couple of decent restaurants within walking distance and have messed around with them enough at home over the years to be able to produce something half decent. If I ever win a lifetime supply of anything, I hope it's curry!
  • Like 2

Indian food is one of my favourites. My hometown embraced this type of food so much, they created a new dish called "Balti" or bucket :) As it's cooked in a special bowl. Prawn saag, Madras, chicken tikka, all depending on the area of India. Yet to try a Zindaloo. :fury: :fury:

I have some next door neighbors who are Indian, and when they cook...OMG! Luckily, there is a killer Indian restaurant that is about 5 minutes from my house. It can get kind of pricey for dinner, but the Lunch buffet is where it's at.

I could eat butter chicken, Basmati rice, and naan every day and never get tired of it. And the spices they rub on the tandori chicken are excellent, as well.

You are in the DC area, right? Have you been to Heritage India in ( I think) Cathedral Heights? We were there recently visiting friends and it was sooo good! Even the dessert was different and delicious- some type of cake balls in a sugar syrup. . . :hail:

• Like 1

Got Tikka Masala in the slow cooker at this very moment.

Not made fresh, it is Sharwoods cooking sauce. When making things like this we never stick to a recipe we just put whatever vegetables we have into the pot. |Today we have potato, broccoli, mushroom and leek. For the meat we are having pork.

• Like 2

Not made fresh, it is Sharwoods cooking sauce. When making things like this we never stick to a recipe we just put whatever vegetables we have into the pot. |Today we have potato, broccoli, mushroom and leek. For the meat we are having pork.

Don't know if you've tried Mr Huda's curry pastes? You add that to a base (which you make with pepper, onion, tomato, turmeric, garlic and ginger) and it is as close as you will get at home to the real curry house flavour, and you can tweak the spices and thickness to suit your palette. Worth the hassle of prep as you can make a dozen bases at a time and freeze them. And always have one ready for curry emergency :ebert:
  • Like 1

Don't know if you've tried Mr Huda's curry pastes? You add that to a base (which you make with pepper, onion, tomato, turmeric, garlic and ginger) and it is as close as you will get at home to the real curry house flavour, and you can tweak the spices and thickness to suit your palette. Worth the hassle of prep as you can make a dozen bases at a time and freeze them. And always have one ready for curry emergency :ebert:

Shall have to keep an eye out for that stuff.

Me too, not heard of "Mr Hudas" have to look out for that. Love to add fresh Coriander. A female friend showed me how to make an authentic curry, which I'm forever grateful. She laughed when I wept at the pure heat of her Dal soup. Chilli's! :fury:. I do love a varied spicy flavour rather than pure heat.

• Like 1

Me too, not heard of "Mr Hudas" have to look out for that. Love to add fresh Coriander. A female friend showed me how to make an authentic curry, which I'm forever grateful. She laughed when I wept at the pure heat of her Dal soup. Chilli's! :fury:. I do love a varied spicy flavour rather than pure heat.

I get big jars of it online from Spices of India. It tastes totally different depending on whether my wife or I make it... partly because I am totally unable to focus on a simple recipe :eh:
  • Like 1