Vegetarians

NobodysHeroine

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 13 2012, 01:34 PM)
I'm largely alone in this... but I honestly believe fast food restaurants and many types of processed foods should be made illegal. They should absolutely be banned. I'd support that law.

I know, I know... personal responsibility and all that. But this has gone way too far, and the food industry on the whole has made it so that lower and middle-class people can't afford fresh food anymore.

It'll never happen, but I'd totally support it if it did.

goodpost.gif

Amen!

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Aug 29 2012, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (librarian @ Aug 29 2012, 03:59 PM)
...taste like chicken... unsure.gif  unsure.gif  ph34r.gif

rofl3.gif

I'm glad someone appreciated that! tongue.gif trink39.gif

I eat mostly vegan for a couple years now. Eating healthy is pretty easy to find out about these days. Check out athletes as they seem to follow it the most. Body for Life is a good basic strategy, but ther are dozens of others. Body Builders are great at getting lean and building mass. Runners know how to keep lean.

Nice, I found the vegetarian thread! Which seems to be occupied mostly by non-vegetarians, but that's ok.

I've been a "flexitarian" for about three years, avoiding meat unless I particularly craved it. The last few weeks I've been really thinking about it (I'm in an ethics class), and I just told my girlfriend today that I'm not eating meat anymore. I'm not by any means into converting others, I just have confidence that I can do it, and if I can do it, I have no reason not to avoid eating members of our moral community. I've considered all the arguments for continued eating of meat, and they all seem shallow.

Naturalness is completely unrelated to morality, so I reject the notion that just because we're omnivores, we're entitled to eat meat.

The idea that my choice to stop eating meat would not save any animals is false. An entire bird or fish can be eaten by a single person in a single setting. If the average person eats 10 animals a year (it's surely more than that), It follows that the market would accordingly match my decreased demand with decreased supply by roughly 10 animals a year. That's good enough for me; I can effectively absolve myself of the responsibility for an animal's death, which is consistent with my purpose.

I recognize a problem with choosing vegetarianism on ethical grounds, which is; If our goal is to be ethical, where can we reasonably draw the line? Should we - in order to be consistent with our desire to be ethical - continue using products developed using slave labor? Or under poor labor conditions? Eliminating every unethical action is implausible. We would have to spend our entire lives researching, forever paralyzed by our fear of stepping on something else's toes, which is the wrong way to live. That's why I don't hold it against anyone for doing unethical things, because it's impossible to live completely ethically - at least in our society. I think the point someone draws the line should be up to the individual, and checked to an extent by the individual's social group.

Edited by Steel Rat

I eat a mostly raw diet now. Only because it works for me and I have highly sensitive digestive issues. This means about 80% and higher of my diet is raw plants. I do on occasion eat fish as I love it! As well as chicken (grass fed) and the occasional piece of red meat. I mean very occasional like maybe once a month and I have it extremely rare almost raw and it's organic and grass fed only!

I don't eat products from animals so no dairy because of my casein allergy and eggs just never digest well.

I'm not saying I'm a vegetarian or that everyone should eat this way but it has helped me 100% to start enjoying food again.

Gross.
  • Like 2

Gross.

Quiet you

:P

I'm working my way to cutting out all meats. Gotta see what my latest blood results say. My doctor told me to do it gradually cause of my condition.

• Like 1

I'm a second-tier vegetarian. Cows are vegetarians, and I eat the cows.

I started a vegetarian diet 2 weeks ago. Seems it will be pretty easy for me. I don't eat much crap anymore anyway. Seems a natural progression to make. I will have meat one a month or every couple months if I feel like it or on a special occasion if I want too. I won't be a dick about my diet with others. Its just something I feel like doing for myself.... Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

I've been vegan for 3 years now. I love it! I'm not one who bags on others who don't have the same diet as me, but I'm still constantly bagged on... It isn't really that hard once you convert. The only hard part is everyone else who isn't vegan! Cow eats the grass, you guys eat the cow. I'd rather cut out that middle-man and do my body good, by not feeding a grave. And for all y'all who think you're so tough and manly for eating meat, thats just great. But please remember what we're doing is for the good of the earth, and for ourselves, and sometimes it can be a challenge when you go out and theres nothing there for us to eat.. so theres no reason to get after us and ask us ten thousand questions that have simple answers. :)
  • Like 1

I did try to be a vegetarian and in fact was quite successful at it for two years. I never cheated. But people kept telling me I'd eventually stop wanting to eat meat, and it never happened; I'd stare enviously at others as they wolfed down a slab of baby back ribs or enjoyed a steak.

One night I was out to dinner with several friends. Lovely late spring evening, we were sitting outdoors. The waitress came and when she got to me I said, quite decisively, "I want a cheeseburger, medium rare, please."

Eight pairs of eyes stared at me as though I'd suddenly sprouted a second head. "What? I've been craving a cheeseburger for two f*ckin' years and I AM GOING TO HAVE A DAMN CHEESEBURGER! THIS VEGETARIAN CRAP IS FOR RABBITS!"

And no, I did not get sick, as many had warned me would almost certainly happen. In fact a couple of us returned to the same place the following night and I had a second cheeseburger. :)

I just can't do it. I love meat too much, can't stand tofu or any "meat substitutes", and am really super picky about which vegetables I do eat. Tonight we had fajitas for dinner, prepared by yours truly, and the only vegetables in evidence were in the salsa and the guacamole. Technically both of those are fruit-based anyway.

I've also found that a diet heavy on meat (I eat a lot of chicken as red meat's a bit spendy) and devoid of cruciferous vegetables is less likely to cause me problems with my ulcerative colitis. I actually quite like things like broccoli, green and red peppers and the like, but my intestines do not care for those at all. Fiber makes me sad.

Edited by Mara

I did try to be a vegetarian and in fact was quite successful at it for two years. I never cheated. But people kept telling me I'd eventually stop wanting to eat meat, and it never happened; I'd stare enviously at others as they wolfed down a slab of baby back ribs or enjoyed a steak.

One night I was out to dinner with several friends. Lovely late spring evening, we were sitting outdoors. The waitress came and when she got to me I said, quite decisively, "I want a cheeseburger, medium rare, please."

Eight pairs of eyes stared at me as though I'd suddenly sprouted a second head. "What? I've been craving a cheeseburger for two f*ckin' years and I AM GOING TO HAVE A DAMN CHEESEBURGER! THIS VEGETARIAN CRAP IS FOR RABBITS!"

And no, I did not get sick, as many had warned me would almost certainly happen. In fact a couple of us returned to the same place the following night and I had a second cheeseburger. :)

I just can't do it. I love meat too much, can't stand tofu or any "meat substitutes", and am really super picky about which vegetables I do eat. Tonight we had fajitas for dinner, prepared by yours truly, and the only vegetables in evidence were in the salsa and the guacamole. Technically both of those are fruit-based.

The meat substitutes do seem to suck. I have tried many and to convince myself that I like them but I really don't. Thats why I am going to do this daily but when push comes to shove and on only certain occasions I will have meat. Nobody comes between me and my baby backs!! :)

Edit: oh and preaching to others is horsesh*t in my opinion. About anything in my view not just this...

Edited by Narpski

I am interested in reducing meat intake, and I know I should avoid dairy, but I still eat some and suffer (mainly to feel full). Would some of you vegetarians be willing to share a full day or 2 of your meal plan? How do you get enough protein to stay full?

I am interested in reducing meat intake, and I know I should avoid dairy, but I still eat some and suffer (mainly to feel full). Would some of you vegetarians be willing to share a full day or 2 of your meal plan? How do you get enough protein to stay full?

So far I choose beans and peanut butter. I like those things anyway so its easy for me. I made my famous chili last week and excluded the meat for two more bean types. I loved it and my family did too. No need for the meat apparently. Put the chili over some Jasmine rice and there you go.... :cheers: Delish and filling Edited by Narpski

There's a good thread in this forum called protein where a lot of us who don't eat much meat for whatever reason have posted how to get complete protein servings daily.

It always helps to ease into it. Even if you have what they call Meatless Mondays, it can cut back on a great deal of the kind of stuff that worries you about the meat industry. But do it gradually, though, unless you have enough free time to stay in bed completely motionless. I was that way for about a month when I was on the vegetarian option for Nutrisystem. Eventually, though, I became more sensitive to animal products and wanted them far less.

I used to be one of those "I eat meat and therefore I'm a man" chest pounding guys. But if you saw my thin body type you'd laugh. With a history of colon cancer in my family I started worrying about what I put in my belly. However it doesn't feel like a conscious decision but rather something that came naturally to me. I eat meat (mostly chicken and occasionally fish) once or twice a week. I try to buy the best I can afford. Whenever I eat meat I feel heavy and tired and my belly is distended. When I don't eat meat I feel more energetic and light as a feather.

I have found that pearl barley, cous cous, chickpeas and green or red lentils gives just as much protein than meat, and that if a meal tastes fantastic I don't care if I don't see any meat in it. I try to eat with as much variation as possible and try to buy the best quality as I can. To me that's most important.

Eat what feels right for you :)

Edited by The Analog Grownup

There's a good thread in this forum called protein where a lot of us who don't eat much meat for whatever reason have posted how to get complete protein servings daily.

thanks.. I reviewed it. One of my challenges will be coming up with a daily meal plan for my work days (gone from house 11 hours, have access to fridge, eat at desk mainly)

Not me. Those spandex pants are telling me "no way Jose" and I don't even need to watch the video.