Vegetarians

NobodysHeroine

I don't live a total veggie lifestyle, as I still eat seafood and dairy products. But back in 1999, me and my g/f decided to stop eating animal products. It'll be 13 years this coming Thanksgiving and we don't miss it at all, to say the least. We just didn't see the sense in doing it anymore when we didn't have to, as we educated ourselves and found out how to get all our nutrients and amino acids from other sources of food.

I understand people like Ted Nugent, who feel the need to kill their own animals and eat them, no problem there. It's the uneducated people who go to the grocery store and pick up their animal carcase for the week, and come back like they have gone out hunting and made the kill themselves, and so they feel a need to come in threads like these and thump their chests like Neanderthals to save the so called poor, weak veggies. LMFAO Spare me please.

I just found out a few months back while reading his bio, that to my surprise, a famous man we have all heard of, also had the same ideas on only eating seafood and dairy, but not animal products. And although I never cared much at all for him or his company, I do respect the guy for his diet regimen. His name was Steve Jobs.

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Feb 1 2012, 01:22 AM)
It's the uneducated people who go to the grocery store and pick up their animal carcase for the week, and come back like they have gone out hunting and made the kill themselves, and so they feel a need to come in threads like these and thump their chests like Neanderthals to save the so called poor, weak veggies. LMFAO Spare me please.

They're almost as annoying as the holier-than-thou "I think I'm educated" people that come into threads like these and beat their chests and go on about how they're more enlightened than the idiot meat eaters because they bought into a lifestyle that someone convinced them to try against their omnivorous animal instincts.

Almost.

Oh, and well done bringing up Steve Jobs. If there's one thing sure to convince people that vegetarianism is great, it's mentioning that a famous guy who died way too early was a vegetarian.

I do believe the animals should be treated humanely and I wish that would happen across the board, but it does not.

My daughter is a vegetarian and she has simply outlawed me buying certain brands like Foster Farms based on how they treat their chickens, etc. She brings home pamphlets from PETA which I cannot look at or I would never look at a piece of chicken or beef ever again, and I like my meat!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 1 2012, 08:29 AM)
QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Feb 1 2012, 01:22 AM)
It's the uneducated people who go to the grocery store and pick up their animal carcase for the week, and come back like they have gone out hunting and made the kill themselves, and so they feel a need to come in threads like these and thump their chests like Neanderthals to save the so called poor, weak veggies. LMFAO  Spare me please.

They're almost as annoying as the holier-than-thou "I think I'm educated" people that come into threads like these and beat their chests and go on about how they're more enlightened than the idiot meat eaters because they bought into a lifestyle that someone convinced them to try against their omnivorous animal instincts.

Almost.

Oh, and well done bringing up Steve Jobs. If there's one thing sure to convince people that vegetarianism is great, it's mentioning that a famous guy who died way too early was a vegetarian.

I could almost bet that you would be the one to post after my post, especially with Jobs being in it. rofl3.gif It was a set up, so shoot me now. But, I didn't say anyone was in here beating their chests yet, however, sooner or later it just seems to turn out that way.

Just seemed natural to me and my g/f so we did it, didn't have to buy into anything. People have to overcome lots of natural instincts to do things everyday in life, just the way it is. And notice I said myself I'm not a vegetarian, nor was Jobs. I still eat seafood and dairy products, just not animal products. I have no idea how long Jobs ate that way, just that he did.

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Feb 1 2012, 11:49 AM)
And notice I said myself I'm not a vegetarian, nor was Jobs. I still eat seafood and dairy products, just not animal products. I have no idea how long Jobs ate that way, just that he did.

Now you're just being pedantic. I'm not about to type out "someone who only eats fish and dairy" every time, so it's shorthanded as "vegetarian", which, sorry, but close enough.

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Feb 1 2012, 12:57 PM)
Here ya go then Danny dude. Next time I guess you can use this term, Pescetarian, which I don't even use myself and never even knew it existed but I guess it's there if anyone needs it. I just happened to see it used one day a few months ago while reading Steve Jobs' bio, so I looked into what it was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism

I love it when people call me Danny in an attempt to sound cool or condescending. Makes me laugh.

If you want to be called a pescetarian, that's fine. It doesn't diminish my original comment. Before you go putting down people for advertising the way they eat, you might consider how you're going to go about making the point.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 1 2012, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Feb 1 2012, 12:57 PM)
Here ya go then Danny dude.  Next time I guess you can use this term, Pescetarian, which I don't even use myself and never even knew it existed but I guess it's there if anyone needs it.  I just happened to see it used one day a few months ago while reading Steve Jobs' bio, so I looked into what it was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism

I love it when people call me Danny in an attempt to sound cool or condescending. Makes me laugh.

If you want to be called a pescetarian, that's fine. It doesn't diminish my original comment. Before you go putting down people for advertising the way they eat, you might consider how you're going to go about making the point.

Listen up mister Clark, or is not good enough to call you that either? Lighten up a bit. I'm not trying to be cool or putting down anyone, but I see that seems to be one of your main tasks in this forum since you got here.

I don't post much in TRF but I do read some threads and I have seen more than a couple people talking about you for one reason or another. The first one was tick when he used the term "piece of shit" and ever since I saw him say that I have wondered why but I see why. This will be my last response to you on this subject so have fun and post away.

atickhum.gif

Makes me think of the song "Danny Boy". laugh.gif

I'll never understand the mantra "I'm vegetarian, therefore I'm healthier than others".

I mean, look at Steve Howe of Yes. He does NOT look healthy at all.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 1 2012, 05:50 PM)
Makes me think of the song "Danny Boy". laugh.gif

I'll never understand the mantra "I'm vegetarian, therefore I'm healthier than others".

I mean, look at Steve Howe of Yes. He does NOT look healthy at all.

It's funny, although I berated him a bit about calling me that, there have been a few people in my life that called me Danny as a kid - well, just my Grandmother and my Uncle Herman, pretty much. And every time I saw Uncle Herman, he'd sing "oh, Dannnnny booooy" and give me a quarter (when I was 7, that was a big deal tongue.gif lol)

I have eaten as a vegetarian for a period of time in my life and during that time, I went to the extreme of being a "raw foodist", eating only raw fruits nuts and vegetables. Was it healthy, sure for a while, but eventually the loss of intake of fats and proteins starts to take its toll.

I have no problem with what anyone wants to put in their body, including whatever they want to restrict from it, but...

A few bullet points:

Humans are omnivores as a result of evolution.

Vegetarians and more-so Vegans are a real pain to plan a dinner for, Bring your own food...

( I promise, I will bring my own beef to your BBQ ) hotdog.gif

You know who else was a famous vegetarian? wink.gif

I was raised within an extremely strict realm of Hindu traditions. As a result, I have been a vegetarian all of my life. In my opinion, not consuming meat is much healthier for you. Animals are ingested with several types of diverse hormones to accelerate growth and body mass. These hormones are potentially harmful for human consumption. To tell you a funny story, I accidentally ate meat in college, and threw up in the dining hall in front of a ton of scholars. After this incident I was nicknamed Barf Girl, and out of pitty this guy asked me out. This guy(who is now my hubby) and I have been married for 3 years. For all of you single individuals out there, being a vegetarian can enable you to hook up!!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (meera @ Feb 26 2012, 10:43 AM)
I was raised within an extremely strict realm of Hindu traditions. As a result, I have been a vegetarian all of my life. In my opinion, not consuming meat is much healthier for you. Animals are ingested with several types of diverse hormones to accelerate growth and body mass. These hormones are potentially harmful for human consumption. To tell you a funny story, I accidentally ate meat in college, and threw up in the dining hall in front of a ton of scholars. After this incident I was nicknamed Barf Girl, and out of pitty this guy asked me out. This guy(who is now my hubby) and I have been married for 3 years. For all of you single individuals out there, being a vegetarian can enable you to hook up!!! biggrin.gif

The most important part of what you wrote is right there in the beginning: "in my opinion".

Yeah, it's your OPINION. Meaning, it's not factual. You got sick because you want 20 years without eating meat and your body couldn't take it. The problem is not with the meat, the problem is with YOU.

Human animals, omnivores, eating meat is no less healthy than a lion, tiger or dog eating meat. That's what we, as animals, do. Always have, always will. We're built for it - unless you spend 20 years training your body to reject it.

I tried for years to be a vegetarian or a vegan, but for some people, eating a vegan or vegetarian diet is downright unhealthy. I discovered about eighteen months ago that I sleep better, have more energy, can maintain my weight easily and have less chronic pain on a diet of meat, nuts, beans, vegetables and fruit that excludes wheat, soy, and most grains and dairy.

Despite the high cost and low convenience factor, I try to eat organic, pastured, humanely produced meat as often as possible because it is not only more ethical for the animals and more responsible for the environment, but also healthier for consumption.

I'm the least-likely-to-become-a-vegetarian person you'll find, but I'm ready to roll that way now.

All my life I've avoided vegetables ("I hate all of them!") and I love meat. But I've been eating healthier this past year, and becoming healthy for life means getting lots of veggies and ditching the animal products. (I'm not going vegetarian for "moral" reasons; I don't really care if cows, pigs, and chickens get killed. I'm going vegetarian for HEALTH reasons.)

Watch the films "Hungry for Change," "Food Matters," and "Food Inc." for a start. Americans no longer eat real FOOD, we eat food-like substances full of MSG, fat, sugar, high fructose corn syrup (which our bodies can't really process, by the way), chemicals, preservatives, etc. People once ate diets that were high in nutrition and low in calories; today we eat stuff that's high in calories and FRIGHTENINGLY LOW in nutrition. Gee, why is there an obesity problem in this country? wink.gif

Animals are given growth hormones to get them to the table faster. Chickens can now be made to grow from egg to full adult in 46 days; that's abnormal. Chickens are also sometimes given something to make their breasts bigger, because hey, most people like white meat. And then WE EAT the animal that had all those hormones in it. Hmmm. You suppose that's good for us?

Animal products aren't our only source of protein. There are plenty of plant-based alternatives to getting protein, getting it faster (more easily bio-available to our bodies), getting it cleaner, and in some cases getting MUCH MORE OF IT from plants than from meat. Check out the "superfoods" chlorella and spirulina; they're overloaded with protein!

I won't get preachy with the defenders of meat-eating. Eat away! But at least try to avoid processed foods, and try to get five servings of vegetables per day. Avoiding high fructose corn syrup would be another good idea, but I know that's hard.

By the way, can anyone really answer the question "why do we drink milk?" At about twelve-months-old, we stopped drinking our mother's breast milk, switched to drinking the breast milk of another species instead, and then continued to drink it for the rest of our lives. Why? Calcium and vitamin D? We can get those somewhere else.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 12 2012, 02:46 PM)
I'm the least-likely-to-become-a-vegetarian person you'll find, but I'm ready to roll that way now.

All my life I've avoided vegetables ("I hate all of them!") and I love meat. But I've been eating healthier this past year, and becoming healthy for life means getting lots of veggies and ditching the animal products. (I'm not going vegetarian for "moral" reasons; I don't really care if cows, pigs, and chickens get killed. I'm going vegetarian for HEALTH reasons.)

Watch the films "Hungry for Change," "Food Matters," and "Food Inc." for a start. Americans no longer eat real FOOD, we eat food-like substances full of MSG, fat, sugar, high fructose corn syrup (which our bodies can't really process, by the way), chemicals, preservatives, etc. People once ate diets that were high in nutrition and low in calories; today we eat stuff that's high in calories and FRIGHTENINGLY LOW in nutrition. Gee, why is there an obesity problem in this country? wink.gif

Animals are given growth hormones to get them to the table faster. Chickens can now be made to grow from egg to full adult in 46 days; that's abnormal. Chickens are also sometimes given something to make their breasts bigger, because hey, most people like white meat. And then WE EAT the animal that had all those hormones in it. Hmmm. You suppose that's good for us?

Animal products aren't our only source of protein. There are plenty of plant-based alternatives to getting protein, getting it faster (more easily bio-available to our bodies), getting it cleaner, and in some cases getting MUCH MORE OF IT from plants than from meat. Check out the "superfoods" chlorella and spirulina; they're overloaded with protein!

I won't get preachy with the defenders of meat-eating. Eat away! But at least try to avoid processed foods, and try to get five servings of vegetables per day. Avoiding high fructose corn syrup would be another good idea, but I know that's hard.

By the way, can anyone really answer the question "why do we drink milk?" At about twelve-months-old, we stopped drinking our mother's breast milk, switched to drinking the breast milk of another species instead, and then continued to drink it for the rest of our lives. Why? Calcium and vitamin D? We can get those somewhere else.

goodpost.gif

Great post.

I went veggie this past November for many of the same reasons.

It was a bit challenging at first.

Easier for me, as my wife has been a vegetarian for a long time and happens to be a great cook.

Its funny, bcause the only time I crave meat is for something silly like Taco Bell, or the other day there was a commercial for McDonald's fish sandwiches, which I haven't eaten in years and years, but man, did I want one!

All the best with your new endeavor...I think you'll notice great changes in your body in about 60 days.

Everything seems to work better.

~Cheers, RGLT

I went mostly vegetarian (fish only) for two years when I was in college. Everyone kept telling me that at some point I would stop having dreams of bloody rare steaks.

One summer evening I was out to dinner with friends in Charlottesville, VA. There were about 9 of us, and I was the last to order.

"Bacon cheeseburger, medium rare, please, no mustard."

8 heads turn in my direction and staring commences. "But. . .but. . .won't you get sick since you haven't had red meat in so long?"

"What? I've been wanting a cheeseburger more than a winning lottery ticket for two years now! I can't do anything about the latter, but I can DAMN SURE order a freakin' bacon cheeseburger! Lay off!"

It did not make me sick. In fact, I ordered a second one. No cheeseburger has ever tasted so good before or since.

It's just not for me. I will happily support anyone's choice to NOT eat meat for whatever reason, as long as they are respectful of my choice and don't go all PETA or doom-and-gloom-you're-gonna-die-if-you-eat-meat on me.

I'm rather picky about vegetables, too. Except for peas, all of the vegetables I really really really like are expensive (such as artichokes). So it's an expensive lifestyle for me!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 12 2012, 01:46 PM)

Good. Now start investigating the vegetables. You'll find that they're no better for you - in terms of people screwing around with them - than the meat products. Genetically modified, pesticide-ridden, and lacking nutrients that they contained just a few generations ago. Do the research on companies like Con-Agra and Monsanto. Pretty soon you won't want to eat anything at all.

Humans are omnivores. Simple as that. Eating nothing but vegetables is no more healthy than eating nothing but meat - especially considering that the multinational corporations have ruined it all.

Swing to the extreme of either side and you're going to be unhealthy. I'm straight down the middle. I've cut back on animal products and increased my consumption of plant products. There are so many options available today there's no reason you can eat whatever you want and it will be healthy and ethical. It's a cliche, for sure, but moderation is the key.
  • Like 1

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 12 2012, 03:37 PM)
Good. Now start investigating the vegetables. You'll find that they're no better for you - in terms of people screwing around with them - than the meat products. Genetically modified, pesticide-ridden, and lacking nutrients that they contained just a few generations ago.

You can get fruit and vegetables without pesticides.

Do the research on companies like Con-Agra and Monsanto. Pretty soon you won't want to eat anything at all.

I've heard all about Monsanto. Terrible stuff, indeed. This is what happens when Big Business or the Gubment takes over. Monsanto now pretty much owns ALL the soybeans, present and future. Hopefully other companies, or the government (with their control over corn), won't take over another food source.

This is why it's better to get food from local, privately owned farms. Granted, it's probably too late to get soy from any place that isn't directly or indirectly owned by Monsanto, but we still have a chance with other crops.

Eating nothing but vegetables is no more healthy than eating nothing but meat

Still not true, after everything you've said. Time for YOU to do YOUR research. Meat causes your body's pH level to be highly acidic, and that's when disease and illness can take root. Vegetables cause your body to be highly ALKALINE, and you simply can't have cancer, for example, in an alkaline body. Vegetables, even better than drugs, can prevent, reverse, and even cure illnesses like diabetes and heart disease and yes, cancer.

And the thing above about your body's pH level is just ONE reason vegetables are more healthy for you than meat. Vegetables provide vitamins, minerals, nutrients, and phytochemicals you won't get in steak and pork chops. They're nutrient rich; meat not so much.