Something just happened

Nate2112

I went on this website and apparently I got a popup saying my computer is infected so, I started to freak out because I forgot to renew my Norton. So It said 338 trojans were found so Then it started to install some indonesian software...I hit cancel and it didnt download so then I exited out and then I went to my computer and it didnt say anything about my computer being infected...so whats your thoughts.

The pop-up was the bait, you clicked it and downloaded malware, containing virus(es) probably even a keylogger. The best thing to do with a pop-up like that is to go to task manager and remove the process, usually if you try to quit or cancel, the damage has already been done.

You need to scan the computer with good anti-virus software and check it with something like malwarebytes.

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Jan 8 2012, 12:18 AM)
The pop-up was the bait, you clicked it and downloaded malware, containing virus(es) probably even a keylogger. The best thing to do with a pop-up like that is to go to task manager and remove the process, usually if you try to quit or cancel, the damage has already been done.

You need to scan the computer with good anti-virus software and check it with something like malwarebytes.

I didnt install it or anything. Plus what does Malware do?

QUOTE (TullSkull @ Jan 8 2012, 09:43 AM)
WebRoot..

When ever I see them pop ups I close every thing and shut the connection right away and then run a scan.

It is a bait for sure don't fall for it..

Does windows 7 have a built in scan that I can run...cause my Norton expired sad.gif

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jan 8 2012, 10:03 AM)
WebRoot..

When ever I see them pop ups I close every thing and shut the connection right away and then run a scan.

Does windows 7 have a built in scan that I can run...cause my Norton expired sad.gif

Download and instal avast. Now you can know from experience how effective Norton is.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jan 8 2012, 12:19 PM)
QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jan 8 2012, 10:03 AM)
WebRoot..

Download and instal avast. Now you can know from experience how effective Norton is.

Exactly...You don't need Norton, there is a whole thread on Norton expiring filled with free anti virus suggestions.

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jan 8 2012, 09:03 AM)
WebRoot..

Download Malwarebytes, and Microsoft Security Essentials.....scan with Malwarebytes first...

Malware means BAD software. The creator can design it to do any number of things making your computing life hell. It can possibly gain passwords, destroy data, etc..

Before you install a new antivirus software you need to uninstall norton

here is a link to anuninstallers for most antivirus software. It is the Nod ESET site, an antivirus program which I use.

Search Tips Uninstallers (removal tools) for common antivirus software

Microsoft Security essentials is fine if you do not want to spend money, Norton gets pretty well bad reviews here, and it deserved it, but it gets much better reviews now.

Here is a site that might help you make a decision, PC Mag The Best Antivirus for 2012

Personally, I think Microsoft Essentials is fine for most people Microsoft Security Essentials

People here seem to like malwarebytes, it is free and it can do the job, like your antivirus software to scan your computer for malware, it is like a second opinion.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jan 8 2012, 03:30 PM)
WebRoot..

Download Malwarebytes, and Microsoft Security Essentials.....scan with Malwarebytes first...

The same combo I use and...Uhhhh welllll... I go to all kinds of places that you might find viruses or spyware.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jan 8 2012, 04:26 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jan 8 2012, 03:30 PM)
WebRoot..

The same combo I use and...Uhhhh welllll... I go to all kinds of places that you might find viruses or spyware.

unsure.gif