Frank Darabont on 'Farenheit 451' and 'The Mist'

Jack Aubrey

From Dark Horizons:

With his attempts at a fourth "Indiana Jones" script and being hired then taken off M:I-3, Frank Darabont looks to be getting back to his own projects again. Out promoting the 10th Anniversary DVD release of "The Shawshank Redemption", he talked with LatinoReview about what two projects he's now working on in the near future - both he intends to direct:

Fahrenheit 451

First up is his script adaptation of Ray Bradbury's famous sci-fi novel is complete and he's looking at that to be his next film - "I think its the best script Ive ever done. Now its a matter of trying to find a home for it and getting somebody to cough up the dough to make it. Thats always the challenge. Particularly with something that's as politically charged as Fahrenheit 451. It is definitely based in the period that Bradbury wrote it. Its still very much a futuristic piece, but Bradburry wrote that as a metaphor for what was going on in this country during the McCarthy hearings. So its relevance has come back around again. Its never not been relevant, because there are always forces lurking under the skin of democracy that want to turn us all into mindless robots. Thats become all the more relevant now".

The Mist

Next is the long-awaited adaptation of, at least my favourite, Stephen King story "The Mist" about a group of people trapped in a supermarket surrounded by a fog filled with hideous monsters. The tale will allow him to focus on the human drama element of the story - "If you focus on the human story, everything else is gravy. What I love about The Mist is how character driven it is. It's a really heated human situation. Thats really where the story is. It's not so much with the monsters outside. I will not forsake the monsters though. That's part of the fun". He's doing Mist after 451 because "The Mist is something Ive been wanting to do for 10 years. Fahrenheit's something I've been wanting to do since I was nine years old and I first read Bradbury's book. So thats a lifelong dream, that movie". In any case he' plans to finish the script for it this year.