The Official Post-Rock/Shoegaze Thread

adace1

I figured these two genres are close enough to include in the same thread. They both have ethereal/dreamy atmospherics and are ambient-influenced. Anyways, just post what you want and have fun!

NOTE: Post-metal bands are also included. I just didn't want to put that in the title or it would have been too long lol.

My picks:

Agalloch

Alcest

Altar of Plagues

Blut aus Nord

Caspian

Cocteau Twins

Devin Townsend (Ghost and The Hummer)

Do Make Say Think

Explosions in the Sky

God is an Astronaut

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Hammock

If These Trees Could Talk

Isis

Jesu

Les Discrets

Lights Out Asia

M83

Mogwai

Mono

My Bloody Valentine

Pelican

Red Sparowes

Russian Circles

Sigur Ros

Slowdive

This Will Destroy You

Tides From Nebula

Wolves in the Throne Room

65daysofstatic

You included one of my all time fave bands, the Cocteau Twins! You didn't include the amazing Lush, however. Both were top notch shoegaze bands. Slowdive was also excellent, as well as Mojave 3 which is what they morphed into. Another great one is Love Spirals Downwards.

The best album by any of these though is the incomparable Split by Lush from 1994 - an amazing album. Also, any album after the first two by the Cocteau Twins is amazing, often for very different reasons...

Shoegaze is probably my all-time favorite genre of music! Yet I've actually not heard a majority of the bands you listed.

The main reason why I love The Smashing Pumpkins is because (in their early days at least) they had a strong shoegaze influence that really worked brilliantly in the confines of their alternative sound. Everything from the wall-of-sound type production to the almost ethereal vocal style.

Sonic Youth, Laura, and Catherine Wheel all have a shoegaze influence in their music.

• Like 1

I just started listening to post rock. I'm not too familiar with it but I've liked what I've heard.

Explosions In The Sky

Mogwai

Battles

sleepmakeswaves

Sioum

Sigur Ros

The Fierce and the Dead

Oceansize

6LA8 (not sure if they're post rock but still a cool band from Pakistan)

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 28 2011, 08:29 AM)
I my day this was called Alternative, and we liked it that way! We didn't need 87 different genre labels to describe bands that were 99% similar to each other!

old.gif

I hear you, but shoegaze has a VERY particular sound to it. Lumping it in with post-rock isn't necessarily fair in my book, as that's different again, but in general I approve of genre definitions - it just helps define different sounds, even if there is a lot of blurring of the lines...

QUOTE (adace1 @ Dec 28 2011, 05:29 AM)
I figured these two genres are close enough to include in the same thread. They both have ethereal/dreamy atmospherics and are ambient-influenced. Anyways, just post what you want and have fun!
NOTE: Post-metal bands are also included. I just didn't want to put that in the title or it would have been too long lol.

My picks:
Agalloch
Alcest
Altar of Plagues
Blut aus Nord
Caspian
Cocteau Twins
Devin Townsend (Ghost and The Hummer)
Do Make Say Think
Explosions in the Sky
God is an Astronaut
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Hammock
If These Trees Could Talk
Isis
Jesu
Les Discrets
Lights Out Asia
M83
Mogwai
Mono
My Bloody Valentine
Pelican
Red Sparowes
Russian Circles
Sigur Ros
Slowdive
This Will Destroy You
Tides From Nebula
Wolves in the Throne Room
65daysofstatic

dammit, you beat me too it.

Agalloch, GIAA, Hammock and others are my favourite PR/Shoegaze bands

I love shoegaze. yes.gif I agree with Gary, too -- it is definitely very distinct from post-rock, thought there are some groups who overlap the two in their own style. Anyway, my favourite shoegaze band ever is definitely Slowdive. My other favourites:

Cocteau Twins

My Bloody Valentine

Ride

Lush

Catherine Wheel

Cranes

Chapterhouse

Alcest

Air Formation

The Daysleepers

The Fauns

The last three on that list are VERY GOOD "nugaze" bands. If you are a fan of shoegaze (even if you're rooted in classic 90s shoegaze), check these guys out! yes.gif

QUOTE (adace1 @ Jan 4 2012, 10:49 PM)
Listening to the new Alcest album. Just amazing. I highly recommend it for shoegaze fans.

listening to a clip from their site. sounds cool.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Dec 28 2011, 09:25 AM)
Shoegaze is probably my all-time favorite genre of music! Yet I've actually not heard a majority of the bands you listed.

The main reason why I love The Smashing Pumpkins is because (in their early days at least) they had a strong shoegaze influence that really worked brilliantly in the confines of their alternative sound. Everything from the wall-of-sound type production to the almost ethereal vocal style.

Sonic Youth, Laura, and Catherine Wheel all have a shoegaze influence in their music.

goodpost.gif

Gish was an incredible album and is still my favorite from the Pumpkins.

Catherine Wheel is one of my all time favorite bands. Ferment and Chrome are two of the finest CDs ever made...period. smilies-8579.png

My favorite of alltime has to be Kitchens of Distinction. They definitely had some intelligent lyric writing in their songs. This band should have been able to go further.

In addition to them I like:

My Bloody Valentine

Lush

Chapterhouse

Cranes

A.R. Kane

Slowdive

Pale Saints

Ride

Curve

I agree with Goober about the distinction of music that fell under the alternative umbrella. Bands like Nirvana and the other grunge bands were alternative as was the shoegaze bands, but these two types in my opinion were quite different. Luckily, shoegaze stayed alternative. Grunge became too hip to be alternative.

But ironically, these two brands had their heyday in the same years going from about 1990 - 1995 roughly. After that we had boy bands.

062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 5 2012, 02:50 PM)
My favorite of alltime has to be Kitchens of Distinction. They definitely had some intelligent lyric writing in their songs. This band should have been able to go further...

I l♥ve k.o.d. with all my heart, but they don't quite fall under my shoegaze definition - just too much muscle and propulsion behind those songs (though I suppose a case could be made)

I count the one (and only!) opportunity I ever had to see them live as one of my most treasured memories (+ that's one of the few tour shirts that I can still wear today... quality stuff)

Julian Swales live guitar rig in particular was a wonder to behold - a 6' x 3' x 3' roadcase, full from bottom to top with rackmount gear...

My favorite of alltime has to be Kitchens of Distinction. They definitely had some intelligent lyric writing in their songs. This band should have been able to go further.

My Bloody Valentine
Lush
Chapterhouse
Cranes
A.R. Kane
Slowdive
Pale Saints
Ride
Curve

I agree with Goober about the distinction of music that fell under the alternative umbrella. Bands like Nirvana and the other grunge bands were alternative as was the shoegaze bands, but these two types in my opinion were quite different. Luckily, shoegaze stayed alternative. Grunge became too hip to be alternative.

But ironically, these two brands had their heyday in the same years going from about 1990 - 1995 roughly. After that we had boy bands.

062802puke_prv.gif

I have Cuckoo from Curve. Great CD.

Bloodless from MBV is also really strong.

And I also love Kitchens of Distinction. I have The Death Of Cool and Strange Free World. And Drive That Fast is one of my all time favorite songs. Just incredible. 1022.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 5 2012, 05:03 PM)

My Bloody Valentine
Lush
Chapterhouse
Cranes
A.R. Kane
Slowdive
Pale Saints
Ride
Curve

062802puke_prv.gif

And I also love Kitchens of Distinction. I have The Death Of Cool and Strange Free World. And Drive That Fast is one of my all time favorite songs. Just incredible. 1022.gif

I have all 4 albums from K.O.D. plus their compilation album "Capsule" which came out about ten years ago.

I love "Death of Cool" the most, but their other albums are good as well. "Cowboys and Aliens" had a grittier guitar sound than their previous efforts. I can't help but wonder what direction they would have gone in after that since that was their last album.

My favorites from "Strange Free World" include "Railwayed", "Quick as Rainbows", "He Holds Her, He needs her" and "Under the Sky, Inside the Sea".

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 6 2012, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 5 2012, 05:03 PM)

My Bloody Valentine
Lush
Chapterhouse
Cranes
A.R. Kane
Slowdive
Pale Saints
Ride
Curve

062802puke_prv.gif

I have all 4 albums from K.O.D. plus their compilation album "Capsule" which came out about ten years ago.

I love "Death of Cool" the most, but their other albums are good as well. "Cowboys and Aliens" had a grittier guitar sound than their previous efforts. I can't help but wonder what direction they would have gone in after that since that was their last album.

My favorites from "Strange Free World" include "Railwayed", "Quick as Rainbows", "He Holds Her, He needs her" and "Under the Sky, Inside the Sea".

Death Of Cool would have to be my favorite as well, if only because of:

Gone World Gone

Mad As Snow

Blue Pedal

^ quite possibly the most emotionally charged 23 minutes of music ever recorded

Strange Free World was my first love, though, despite the fact that it was the 'wrong' album (I had heard the song 'Prize' from the 1st album on the radio and asked my girlfriend to pick it up on her way home from work - the record store only had SFW, but she bought it anyway... lucky me!)

also - if you don't have it, their last single contains a worthy song (To Love A Star) - worth seeking out!

[and I keep meaning to talk about my love of Curve, but KOD is taking up all of my posts!!!]