• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ColdFireYYZ

ColdFireYYZ

Prog Hipster

• Members
  • 6173 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

So I only have 6 days left until my Norton subscription runs out. I hate Norton and once its expired I'm going to delete all traces of it off of my computer since it takes up so much space.

Does anyone know of any good, free anti-virus software? There are so many free downloads out there so I was wondering if anyone here has had any success with any of them. I'm looking for something that is as effective as Norton yet free and doesn't take up much space.  

Sponsored Post

#2 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 30496 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 27 2011, 02:02 PM)
So I only have 6 days left until my Norton subscription runs out. I hate Norton and once its expired I'm going to delete all traces of it off of my computer since it takes up so much space.

Good luck with that. Norton can be a pain in the ass to eradicate from your system.

Does anyone know of any good, free anti-virus software? There are so many free downloads out there so I was wondering if anyone here has had any success with any of them. I'm looking for something that is as effective as Norton yet free and doesn't take up much space.

AVG Free used to be a good free one. Haven't heard about it in a few years, but it's still available. Anyone using it, and having good results with it?

#3 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 10145 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials is free and works fine.

You can download a Norton Complete Removal tool from the Symantec website.  

#4 Gompers

Gompers

10,000 posts, and I got nothin'

• Members *
  • 15624 posts
  • Interests:When your BS is so legit, you even believe yourself. Not listening to Nickleback. Long, romantic walks to the fridge. Saying "or not" when people do the complete opposite of what you just said. Leaving out random in sentences.

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 27 2011, 03:11 PM)

Good luck with that. Norton can be a pain in the ass to eradicate from your system.

AVG Free used to be a good free one. Haven't heard about it in a few years, but it's still available. Anyone using it, and having good results with it?

I have used AVG and Avast Free Editions. They worked great. Still using AVG actually. I run a separate Malware/Spyware detector too. I like Spybot too, but it is a resource hog.

#5 USB Connector

USB Connector

Trek for Echo

• Members *
  • 8007 posts
  • Interests:Exploring the final frontier as captain of the Galaxy Class Starship Rocinante (registry NCC-2112).

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

I've been using Avast for a few years now. I used to Microsoft Security Essentials on another computer but I got a virus almost instantly. AVG is good too but the interface annoyed me.

Edited by USB Connector, 27 December 2011 - 02:49 PM.

#6 ColdFireYYZ

ColdFireYYZ

Prog Hipster

• Members
  • 6173 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

I think I'll go with Avast and AVG. Does anyone know if Malwarebytes is any good?

Norton has been a pain in the ass so once it expires, I'll use the Norton removal tool. Thanks for the recommendations guys. trink39.gif--

Edited by ColdFireYYZ, 27 December 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#7 Nate2112

Nate2112

The Lil' Eskimo

• Members
  • 2692 posts
  • Interests:Cosmotology, Politics, Love, Experimental Art/Literature

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 27 2011, 02:54 PM)
I think I'll go with Avast and AVG. Does anyone know if Malwarebytes is any good?

Norton has been a pain in the ass so once it expires, I'll use the Norton removal tool. Thanks for the recommendations guys. trink39.gif--

I love Norton...it protects me from all the sorts and though I'll have to remind my father about renewing it, whats with the hate?

#8 ColdFireYYZ

ColdFireYYZ

Prog Hipster

• Members
  • 6173 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Dec 27 2011, 04:23 PM)

I love Norton...it protects me from all the sorts and though I'll have to remind my father about renewing it, whats with the hate?

It has caught a bunch of viruses over the last year, but my laptop is extremely slow because of it. Norton takes up so much space its ridiculous. My dad swears by it and when I got a virus last year he downloaded it onto my laptop because he didn't know that there were other free options.

#9 burgeranacoke

burgeranacoke

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1958 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Tony R @ Dec 27 2011, 02:37 PM)
Microsoft Security Essentials is free and works fine.

You can download a Norton Complete Removal tool from the Symantec website.

What Tony said

#10 USB Connector

USB Connector

Trek for Echo

• Members *
  • 8007 posts
  • Interests:Exploring the final frontier as captain of the Galaxy Class Starship Rocinante (registry NCC-2112).

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Dec 27 2011, 04:23 PM)

It uses an insane amount of RAM (meaning it slows your computer down a LOT), all of the updates don't really do anything, all of the "threats" it finds tend to be tracking cookies (you can remove these yourself by deleting your cookies and temporary internet files), it only protects against small fries and doesn't stand up against real threats to your PC. Oh and you have to pay for that crap.

#11 An Enemy Without

An Enemy Without

Geddyfan13's Biggest Fan

• Members *
  • 6865 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Dec 27 2011, 03:23 PM)

Norton is the worst.  

#12 Scars

Scars

The Seeker

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

Might I direct you to this site:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/pr...-list-world.htm

#13 tel

tel

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2256 posts
  • Interests:rush,bond,ufo,s cinema

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

avast free....dont hesitate! wink.gif  

#14 KenJennings

KenJennings

I Like Socks

• Members *
  • 14776 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

+1 for Avast. Been using it for years, and still love it.  

#15 ColdFireYYZ

ColdFireYYZ

Prog Hipster

• Members
  • 6173 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

I decided to go with Avast Free and Mawarebytes.

Thanks for the input everyone. trink39.gif

#16 Test4VitalSigns

Test4VitalSigns

London Calling

• Members *
  • 36903 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

Norton is a virus itself IMO

#17 A Farewell to Things

A Farewell to Things

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Rush, techno/house/trance music, Rush, reading, video games, computers and gadgets, programming, piano, Rush, weightlifting, pizza, Cheez-Its, Rush, football, anything I find funny on TV, puzzles, Rush, learning new and interesting things, anything that challenges my intellect or body, oh, and I like this little Canadian rock band called "Rush", you've probably never heard of them...

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:57 AM

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Dec 30 2011, 08:07 PM)
Norton is a virus itself IMO

F**k yeah and avast is the answer no contest

#18 MassProductionZone

MassProductionZone

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Chicks,cycling,art,music,etc.,etc.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

ColdFireYYZ, if you're still looking or want to update have you tried majorgeeks.com?I've used their site for years and have scored a huge amount of freebies and support.Software I've used lately is CCleaner,360 amigo, Avast, Iobit and a bunch of Piriform stuff. Hope this helps!

#19 ColdFireYYZ

ColdFireYYZ

Prog Hipster

• Members
  • 6173 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (MassProductionZone @ Jan 24 2012, 06:07 PM)
ColdFireYYZ, if you're still looking or want to update have you tried majorgeeks.com?I've used their site for years and have scored a huge amount of freebies and support.Software I've used lately is CCleaner,360 amigo, Avast, Iobit and a bunch of Piriform stuff. Hope this helps!

I got Malwarebytes and Avast Free. But thanks anyway for the link - I'll use it if I ever need any other freeware programs. trink39.gif

#20 TheBluePhoenix

TheBluePhoenix

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

Why do some of you hate Norton?  Iíve been using it for years.  I have never caught a virus and it also has stopped many intrusion attempts.

I donít use their security suite.  I just use Norton AntiVirus and I buy a new OEM version each year for about $20.

When it comes to ďfreeĒ I believe that you often get what you pay for.  The various free AV software seem to only have a minimum amount of features and you have to pay for the additional necessary features.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users