Norton Subscription Ending

ColdFireYYZ

So I only have 6 days left until my Norton subscription runs out. I hate Norton and once its expired I'm going to delete all traces of it off of my computer since it takes up so much space.

Does anyone know of any good, free anti-virus software? There are so many free downloads out there so I was wondering if anyone here has had any success with any of them. I'm looking for something that is as effective as Norton yet free and doesn't take up much space.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 27 2011, 02:02 PM)
So I only have 6 days left until my Norton subscription runs out. I hate Norton and once its expired I'm going to delete all traces of it off of my computer since it takes up so much space.

Good luck with that. Norton can be a pain in the ass to eradicate from your system.

Does anyone know of any good, free anti-virus software? There are so many free downloads out there so I was wondering if anyone here has had any success with any of them. I'm looking for something that is as effective as Norton yet free and doesn't take up much space.

AVG Free used to be a good free one. Haven't heard about it in a few years, but it's still available. Anyone using it, and having good results with it?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 27 2011, 03:11 PM)

Good luck with that. Norton can be a pain in the ass to eradicate from your system.

AVG Free used to be a good free one. Haven't heard about it in a few years, but it's still available. Anyone using it, and having good results with it?

I have used AVG and Avast Free Editions. They worked great. Still using AVG actually. I run a separate Malware/Spyware detector too. I like Spybot too, but it is a resource hog.

I've been using Avast for a few years now. I used to Microsoft Security Essentials on another computer but I got a virus almost instantly. AVG is good too but the interface annoyed me. Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 27 2011, 02:54 PM)
I think I'll go with Avast and AVG. Does anyone know if Malwarebytes is any good?

Norton has been a pain in the ass so once it expires, I'll use the Norton removal tool. Thanks for the recommendations guys. trink39.gif--

I love Norton...it protects me from all the sorts and though I'll have to remind my father about renewing it, whats with the hate?

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Dec 27 2011, 04:23 PM)
I think I'll go with Avast and AVG. Does anyone know if Malwarebytes is any good?

Norton has been a pain in the ass so once it expires, I'll use the Norton removal tool. Thanks for the recommendations guys. trink39.gif--

I love Norton...it protects me from all the sorts and though I'll have to remind my father about renewing it, whats with the hate?

It has caught a bunch of viruses over the last year, but my laptop is extremely slow because of it. Norton takes up so much space its ridiculous. My dad swears by it and when I got a virus last year he downloaded it onto my laptop because he didn't know that there were other free options.

It uses an insane amount of RAM (meaning it slows your computer down a LOT), all of the updates don't really do anything, all of the "threats" it finds tend to be tracking cookies (you can remove these yourself by deleting your cookies and temporary internet files), it only protects against small fries and doesn't stand up against real threats to your PC. Oh and you have to pay for that crap.

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Dec 27 2011, 03:23 PM)

Norton is the worst.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Dec 30 2011, 08:07 PM)
Norton is a virus itself IMO

F**k yeah and avast is the answer no contest

ColdFireYYZ, if you're still looking or want to update have you tried majorgeeks.com?I've used their site for years and have scored a huge amount of freebies and support.Software I've used lately is CCleaner,360 amigo, Avast, Iobit and a bunch of Piriform stuff. Hope this helps!

QUOTE (MassProductionZone @ Jan 24 2012, 06:07 PM)
ColdFireYYZ, if you're still looking or want to update have you tried majorgeeks.com?I've used their site for years and have scored a huge amount of freebies and support.Software I've used lately is CCleaner,360 amigo, Avast, Iobit and a bunch of Piriform stuff. Hope this helps!

I got Malwarebytes and Avast Free. But thanks anyway for the link - I'll use it if I ever need any other freeware programs. trink39.gif

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Dec 28 2011, 11:47 AM)

It uses an insane amount of RAM (meaning it slows your computer down a LOT), all of the updates don't really do anything, all of the "threats" it finds tend to be tracking cookies (you can remove these yourself by deleting your cookies and temporary internet files), it only protects against small fries and doesn't stand up against real threats to your PC. Oh and you have to pay for that crap.

Exactly.

It slows your CPU down to a crawl.

Bottom line...Norton is complete crap.

(I've use AVG, and I've used Avast. Both are great IMO.)