Is there a ex-smokers support forum?

Draco

I don't know if there is one, but if you've quit, Congratulations!!! trink39.gif

I will celebrate a year of nicotine sobriety on 12/21. It has been the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. I think about it all the time.

But then someone comes in the Library and they reek of smoke and I think , "eeewwww" 062802puke_prv.gif nasty expensive habit - don't need it! no.gif

QUOTE (librarian @ Dec 19 2011, 03:23 PM)
I don't know if there is one, but if you've quit, Congratulations!!! trink39.gif

I will celebrate a year of nicotine sobriety on 12/21. It has been the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. I think about it all the time.

But then someone comes in the Library and they reek of smoke and I think , "eeewwww" 062802puke_prv.gif nasty expensive habit - don't need it! no.gif

congrats! Did you pick 12/21 for any particular reason? laugh.gif

Draco - try NWW. They help a lot with stuff like that over there. Just start a thread

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Dec 19 2011, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (librarian @ Dec 19 2011, 03:23 PM)

I will celebrate a year of nicotine sobriety on 12/21.  It has been the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life.  I think about it all the time.

congrats! Did you pick 12/21 for any particular reason? laugh.gif

Draco - try NWW. They help a lot with stuff like that over there. Just start a thread

12/21/10 - was the day last year I flew to NC to visit my Mom for Christmas.

She was a smoker for decades and then quit -

She can smell smoke on someone a mile away - I really didn't want to hear it. (My Stepfather had also passed from lung cancer in early 2010)

I packed a few rolls of bubbletape gum and a few nicorettes and off I went to NC cold turkey. and then it snowed. and then I was stranded in NC until at least New Year's Day. scared.gif

By the time I got home. I said to myself - I have gone without smoking this long, I'm just going to try to keep going...and I'm still going...

One day at a time. Absolutely true!

2.gif 1221!

Feb 2012 will be 20 years for me. It was the first thing i did when i woke up 062802puke_prv.gif Was it hard to do ? Hell yes , but after a week it really was not a prob. Bad breath sucks and that is all you get when you smoke . Good Luck

1022.gif

QUOTE (Draco @ Dec 20 2011, 01:02 AM)
Thanks everyone for your encouragement.

I did slip up tonight. I tend to beat myself up over stuff like this, but I just can't. Try again.

You can do this!

QUOTE (librarian @ Dec 20 2011, 12:52 PM)
QUOTE (Draco @ Dec 20 2011, 01:02 AM)
Thanks everyone for your encouragement. 

I did slip up tonight.  I tend to beat myself up over stuff like this, but I just can't.  Try again.

You can do this!

yes.gif goodpost.gif

Quitting is not easy. It takes desire. It you don't want to quit, you will have a tougher time. I smoked for years then stopped in 1992 only to pick it up again in 1999. I stopped again June 2010. I have no interest in it any more for a number of positive reasons. I am happy I don't smoke. I actually exercise almost daily now, even though it takes will power to get to the gym. laugh.gif I don't call myself an ex-smoker. I am a non-smoker. There is a difference in how you view yourself when you say that. The mental game is the one you must conquer. Tell yourself you don't want to smoke during your cravings. Allow yourself to understand the craving will pass.

When I stopped the second time, it was very difficult. I slowed down, changed to a crappy brand, then replaced them with the Marlboro Snuff things, then finally, no more. That took 2 weeks.

Best of luck. I am looking forward to hearing you say you are a non-smoker.

trink39.gif

I guess it's not my time to quit. I'm studying for a California State Insurance Exam, and it's a bitch! laugh.gif Smoke breaks are the only thing keeping me sane during the studying.

So I made a promise that once I pass the exam, or when the pressure's off, that's when I'll give it another go. smile.gif

QUOTE (Draco @ Dec 24 2011, 02:13 AM)
I guess it's not my time to quit. I'm studying for a California State Insurance Exam, and it's a bitch! laugh.gif Smoke breaks are the only thing keeping me sane during the studying.

So I made a promise that once I pass the exam, or when the pressure's off, that's when I'll give it another go. smile.gif

Take it from me, you must learn how to cope with stress and not smoke, otherwise you will keep giving in.

I'm around 5 years and a month smoke free, cold turkey after about 10 years of smoking.

There's not much to say beyond you gotta a really, REALLY in your heart and mind want to quit for nobody else but yourself and whatever you feel, or smell, or want you have to be strong and tell yourself, NO.

It's terrible at first and hard later and the craving never goes away, but your strenght and ability to say no gets stronger with time and eventually I found that although the craving is still there the ability to say no gets easier.

Good luck and be strong.

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. It's gonna happen sooner, than later. You're right in that I need to quit now, and handle the stress of life that will come, no matter what.

smile.gif trink39.gif