Obscure TV shows that no one talks about anymore

treeduck

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Dec 14 2011, 05:03 PM)
Where's Newsradio on that list? IMO, Newsradio was the best sitcom of the 90s, but NBC kept jacking around it's timeslot, and its ratings were always borderline because of it. When Phil Hartman died, it was the final nail in Newsradio's coffin, even though it continued to be quite funny with Jon Lovits.

Man that was a funny show.

I left off all the "staples" like Cheers, News Radio, Friends, Seinfeld, Frasier, etc...

Picked out the "obscure" shows.

News Radio was unbelievably awesome. My favorite moment:

After his business book flopped in the US, he had it translated to Japanese where it was a huge success. After seeing the success, he had the Japanese version translated back into English... the rest was comedy gold...

Mr. James: "The original title of this book was 'Jimmy James, Capitalist Lion Tamer' but I see now that it's... 'Jimmy James, Macho Business Donkey Wrestler'... you know what it is... I had the book translated in to Japanese then back in again into English. Macho Business Donkey Wrestler... well there you go... it's got kind of a ring to it don't it? Anyway, I wanted to read from chapter three... which is the story of my first rise to financial prominence... I had a small house of brokerage on Wall Street... many days no business come to my hut... my hut... but Jimmy has fear? A thousand times no. I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo... dung. ...Glorious sunset of my heart was fading. Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey."

Question: "Mr. James, what did you mean when you wrote bad clown making like super American car racers, I would make them sweat, War War?"
Mr. James: "Well, you know... it's LIKE when a clown is making like a car... racer... it's sorta... like... the FCC. The CLOWN... the clown is like the FCC... and I was opposed to the FCC at the time, right? So it was like I was declaring War. WARRRR!"

Question: "So then did the American yum yum clown monkey also represent the FCC?"
Mr. James: "Yeah, it did. Thanks a LOT!"

Question: "What did you mean when you said, "Feel my skills, donkey donkey donkey, donkey donkey?"
Mr. James: *Sigh*
Edited by Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Dec 14 2011, 03:20 PM)
"Titus" with Christopher Tytus about fixing cars

What a great show!!!!

Hilarious. And it wasn't JUST about fixing cars...It was mainly about his totally dysfunctional maniacal family.

Heard him on Howard Stern a few years ago talking about the show...It got axed 'cuz Titus pissed of some FOX exec...can you believe that?

Just one pissed off asshole and the show is gone.

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

Grounded For Life

ran for 5 seasons. first on Fox, then the WB, or CW, or whatever it was at the time lol

really funny family comedy with some edge to it. wish it would've lasted longer. luckily i have it on dvd smile.gif

Does anyone remember a show called "The Larry Sanders Show" on HBO?

It was on in the 90's and absolutely brilliant. It was sort of a spoof of talk shows and particularly talk show hosts. Garry Shandling played Larry Sanders, an extremely neurotic and insecure David Letterman/Johnny Carson type talk show host. Jeffrey Tambo played his "Ed Mcmahon" sidekick and Rip Torn was the overly protective Producer.

It was one of my favorites, and when they had celebrities playing themselves it was awesome

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Dec 14 2011, 05:53 PM)
Does anyone remember a show called "The Larry Sanders Show" on HBO?

It was on in the 90's and absolutely brilliant. It was sort of a spoof of talk shows and particularly talk show hosts. Garry Shandling played Larry Sanders, an extremely neurotic and insecure David Letterman/Johnny Carson type talk show host. Jeffrey Tambo played his "Ed Mcmahon" sidekick and Rip Torn was the overly protective Producer.

It was one of my favorites, and when they had celebrities playing themselves it was awesome

Yeah Hank is a legend...

And Rip Torn was excellent as Artie...

Dusty's Trail.

Gilligan's Island set in the West. To a T. Same number of characters, same stereotypes as the GI characters, and Bob Denver.

Speaking of Robert Urich, he was in "Tabitha" which starred Lisa Hartman as the title character. She played the grownup Tabitha from Bewitched, but she worked at a news station where Robert Urich was a pompous producer. It only lasted one season in 1977.

There was another sitcom that I really enjoyed that came out in the mid 1990s starring Nancy Travis called "Just Perfect". It only lasted two seasons. They did a crossover episode with "Cybill" to boost its ratings. Anyway, I thought "Just Perfect" was hilarious, but the main guy that played her love interest didn't return for the second season and the show suffered.

I love the show Wings. Occasionally, I will see it on and watch it and it still makes me laugh.

But how about this for a pound of obscure(sorry), with Jason Bateman,

It's Your Move

Does anyone remember that one? It was geared towards teenagers and I was in 8th grade at the time and I loved that show. When they canceled it I was so pissed. My first experience of how horrible network tv can take something great and discard it, well at least it was great to me as an 8th grader.

But from what I remember it was always funny and a teenage scam artist concept was so great. But just reading the wikipedia entry I linked to, it got canceled because it was up against Dynasty. Yeah...that makes sense to put that show up against a popular adult show like Dynasty and expect it to get great ratings.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Dec 14 2011, 07:07 PM)
Moonlighting!!!!

Not obscure but nobody talks about it anymore. THAT was a great show!!!!!

Oh yeah...Son Of The Beach was really funny too if you like risque airplane (the movie) humor.

Bruce Willis in Moonlighting is why later I had a tough time (and still have to some extent) accepting him as some kind of bad ass tough guy in action films such as Die Hard... tongue.gif

music.gif music.gif Just Say Julie! bah-bah-bahhhhhh-yeah! music.gif music.gif

Oh, Julie Brown. How I loved you... /sigh. The real Julie Brown, not that trumped up trollop, "Downtown" Julie Brown. Yeah, I think Just Say Julie qualifies as obscure that nobody talks about anymore sad.gif

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/JustSayJulie_BestOfV2%C2%BD.jpghttp://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/juliebrowncd.jpg

Pacific Station (1991), set in an LA police station. Only had about 6 or so episodes, but, man, did I laugh..! Had the theme Rescue Me. It's the only show I miss seeing - I wish it was released on DVD, like someone once said it would. About 2 years ago...

b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 14 2011, 11:19 PM)

Oh, Julie Brown. How I loved you... /sigh. The real Julie Brown, not that trumped up trollop, "Downtown" Julie Brown. Yeah, I think Just Say Julie qualifies as obscure that nobody talks about anymore sad.gif

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/JustSayJulie_BestOfV2%C2%BD.jpghttp://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/juliebrowncd.jpg

Loved it!!!!

Every once in a while I find myself singing," Just say Julie....We'll be riiiiight back".

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Dec 15 2011, 05:52 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 14 2011, 11:19 PM)

Loved it!!!!

Every once in a while I find myself singing," Just say Julie....We'll be riiiiight back".

She was hot...

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 14 2011, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 14 2011, 12:59 PM)
And Vega$ starring Robert Urich as PI Dan Tanna and Greg Morris (Mission Impossible) and created by Michael Mann. This show was maybe the precursor to Miami Vice.

trink38.gif

Great show. Loved all those old cop shows, and that one is near the top of the list.

Speaking of Urich and obscure shows, a shout-out to "Spenser: For Hire." Not always faithful to the tone of Parker's novels (some eps got a little trite and cheesy), but they got it close enough more often than not. And Avery Brooks was the perfect Hawk.

Both great shows. Another was The Equalizer, Edward Wppdward.

Anyone watch: Sports Night? I think it only ran 2 seasons but it was hilarious.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/spirit3trails/Buffalo_bill-show.jpg This was a great show starring Dabney Coleman and Geena Davis very funny!

Other NBC shows come to mind from the late 70's,

Project U.F.O produced by Jack Webb based on the Project Blue Book US government UFO file. Didn't last long maybe a couple years but I thought it was well done reminded me of a early version of the X-Files.

And around the same time frame and worth forgetting and remaining "obscure"..... SUPERTRAIN 062802puke_prv.gif laugh.gif Derailed right from the get go!!!!

QUOTE (softfilter @ Dec 15 2011, 03:11 PM)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/spirit3trails/Buffalo_bill-show.jpg This was a great show starring Dabney Coleman and Geena Davis very funny!
Other NBC shows come to mind from the late 70's,
                              Project U.F.O produced by Jack Webb based on the Project Blue Book US government UFO file. Didn't last long maybe a couple years but I thought it was well done reminded me of a early version of the X-Files.
    And around the same time frame and worth forgetting and remaining "obscure".....  SUPERTRAIN 062802puke_prv.gif  laugh.gif  Derailed right from the get go!!!!

I loved Buffalo Bill, but it was too dark to gain mass appeal.

Here's another great show...

http://sharetv.org/images/saved_by_the_bell_the_college_years-show.jpg

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 15 2011, 07:01 PM)
What about Hunter, featuring former LA Rams defensive end Fred Dryer and Stephanie Kramer...?

It worked for me!!

cool10.gif

Fred Dryer, the best actor ever to record two safeties in an NFL game. yes.gif

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Dec 15 2011, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 15 2011, 07:01 PM)
What about Hunter, featuring former LA Rams defensive end Fred Dryer and Stephanie Kramer...?

It worked for me!!

cool10.gif

Fred Dryer, the best actor ever to record two safeties in an NFL game. yes.gif

And over 100 sacks!

cool.gif