Memorable "Non-Rush" Gigs

madra sneachta

Before I saw 2.gif live the best show I've been to was Iron Maiden in 1984 during The World Slavery Tour...

Neil Young with Pearl Jam and Soundgarden opening in 1993

Lalapalooza 3 in summer of 93 with Alice In Chains and Primus co-headlining

Been to many shows but the above shows were my favs...

QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 2 2005, 12:07 AM)
QUOTE (Batman @ Sep 1 2005, 09:44 PM)
Ac/Dc for those about to Rock

moon.gif i take it you saw rush many a times in WORCESTER!@!!!!!

No, I don't think I have seen Rush in Worcester cool.gif

Seen them five times in Providence, Once at the Fleet and twice at Tweeter(Great Woods) tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Van Halen in 1983 with David Lee Roth was unbelievable - saw them again in 1984 and DLR suddenly went from the coolest person in the world to one of the most obnoxious - still the 1983 show was so good it blew my mind - it was also the loudest concert i'd ever seen!

Iron Maiden opening up for Judas Priest in 1982 - I think it was the second concert I'd ever seen, and it was just phenomenal - I'll never forget the music started and Rob Halford started singing, but you couldn't see him until after he came out from behind a speaker - I had great seats and it was just so incredible to see these people right there in front of me.

Both of these shows were in New Haven, CT

Seeing Hot Tuna around 1990 was really great too as it was a tiny place in NYC, like literally 200 people max in a room, and they were like 6 feet away from me. It was supposed to be a solo Jorma Kaukonen show, but Jack Casady played with him, so it really was Hot Tuna - a great intimate way to see two legends from Jefferson Airplane... wub.gif

So many concerts i wouldn't know where to begin, but here goes anyway.

1) Type-O-Negative and Coal Chamber - they were simply amazing. Type O always puts on a great show and that night Coal Chamber actually blew them away. So dissapointed this band no longer exists. Best part of the night though... during "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend", two young lovelies got up on some guys shoulders and removed their tops and put on an amazing show that even had Pete Steele impressed. Yeah... i can be a pig.

2) Though not a fan of this band, TWISTED SISTER was amazing live. Only saw them once, but will never forget the show.

3) Marilyn Manson at Ozzfest two years ago. He should have been the headline act, not KORN. Manson came out second after Chevelle and simply DESTROYED everyone else there that day. The rest of the show was a huge downer because we peaked too soon with that lineup.

4) Though i'd outgrown them, finally seeing KISS with all the original members in makeup was amazing.

5) Last year i finally saw Fleetwood Mac. Though Christine McVie was not present, it may be the only chance i get to see them. They were amazing.

6) JOAN JETT at a local bar here in Scranton. This woman is PHENOMENAL. NO ONE rocks as hard as she does. I was in a frenzy from the moment she took the stage to well after she was gone.

7) Saw Queensryche open for Kiss on the Lick it Up tour. Nothing you can say bad about Queensryche. They are amazing. This was early in their career and they were extremely hungry so it ranks higher than any of the other seven times i saw them.

8) Breaking Benjamin is a local band and they are on a meteoric rise to success in the rock world. I've seen them a ton of times and seeing them live in a small venue as they are trying to raise that ladder of success is just too cool, but seeing them making it now is just the best. Keep up the good work Ben and co.

9) Night Songs had just been released and Cinderella did a FREE concert here. I never heard them before but went cuz my friends were going. They were amazing. Seen them about eight times since, but that first time will always stick out in my mind.

10) Blue Oyster Cult opened for RUSH and we were in the first five rows at Broome County Arena. I'm a big guy, but our friend Bob is a GIGANTIC guy. He stands near seven feet tall and is in the five hundred pound area. The guy's head is like a medicine ball. So anyway... the singer does his little rant/speech thing he does before GODZILLA. Just as he asks the crowd "WHO IS IT?", i point at Bob and yell at the top of my lungs... IT's BOB!!! The crowd didn't hear me probably, but the singer did and he laughed his ass off. He pointed out Bob to other members of the band and they all laughed along. He gave us the thumbs up and you could see him chuckling through the rest of the show. I think i pissed off my friend Bob, but from that day forward he became known as BOBZILLA.

Van Halen - 1984 - Phoenix - Coliseum

Deep Purple - 1985 - Phoenix - Coliseum

The Firm - 1985 - Tempe AZ - Activity Center

Crosby Stills and Nash - 1987- Irvine CA - Irvine Amphitheater

Elton John - 1988 - Hollywood Bowl (Wow what a place to see a show!)

Rolling Stones - 1994 - Lansing MI - Spartan Stadium

Gipsy Kings - 2000 - Chicago Theater (and again in '02, but not as good)

Paul McCartney - 2002 - United Center - Chicago

Satriani, Vai, and Malmsteen - 2002 - Riviera - Chicago

Van Halen - 2004 - United Center - Chicago (Last tour they'll ever do)

U2 - 2005 - United Center - Chicago

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 2 2005, 09:45 AM)
Seeing Hot Tuna around 1990 was really great too as it was a tiny place in NYC, like literally 200 people max in a room, and they were like 6 feet away from me. It was supposed to be a solo Jorma Kaukonen show, but Jack Casady played with him, so it really was Hot Tuna...

I'm disappointed, Goob...you should know that the correct spelling is "HOT F*CKING TUNA!"

tongue.gif

I hope you'll excuse me as I'm going to be a little vague on dates here:

Witchfynde at Mansfield Civic Theatre, c1979

My first gig. What can I say, they were great.

Gary Numan at Wembley Arena, Living Ornaments Tour.

First gig at a major venue and a superb spectacle.

Thin Lizzy at Sheffield City Hall, Renegade tour.

One of the greatest bands with one of the greatest frontmen of all time.

Scorpions at Hammersmith Odeon, Savage Amusement tour

Great band, great gig, legendary venue.

Marillion at Sheffield City Hall, Fugazi tour

First time I saw them - awesome.

Fish at Haddington Town Hall, Company Convention 1992

Hundreds of screaming Fish fanatics and meeting the man himself. Wonderful.

Levellers at Rock City, c1992

Just a fantastic gig with a great atmosphere

Whitesnake at Monsters of Rock, Castle Donnington, 1983

Great set from back when they were a great bluesy rock band.

Fairport Convention at Woolerton Park, c1992[/d]

Another great gig

This doesn't really come in as a great gig, that's why i didn't include it in my top ten list, but it's a great story. It was 1984. I was in college at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania and the big show of the year was EDDIE MONEY. So being a metal head, i wasn't going to it. I was lifting in the gym when some security guys came in and told us they needed more help for the opening act. They were looking for big guys i guess and all they could pay was free food and drink and we could get to watch the show for free. I figured it was a decent deal so i accepted and so did a few of my friends. The opening act was a very sissy boy talentless band from Jersey. They were milling around backstage and I absolutely hated the pop metal scene that was infiltrating itself into REAL METAL. I was busting their asses about their spandex and scarves and shit. I mouthed off to the drummer so much that we almost got into it. HA!!! I woulda' killed him, but anyway... after they left, the five of us worked the between stage and crowd area to prevent any wild fans from jumping up onto the stage. Needless to say, no one did and it was a waste of our time. We went backstage before the band to make sure no one snuck back. There were a few girls and all, but no big deal actually. So my buddy, Lenny, gets this horrible idea and starts spitting on all of the bands sandwiches. It was awful, but at the time, funny as hell. He gobbed on all of the plates that were for the band only. The band came back and started mingling. Eddy Money's band was hanging out too but they had their own food table, thank God. LOL. So anyway, they started eating their sandwiches and we just died laughing. I have no idea how they didn't know. Lenny was laying them on really thick. So it was horrible, i know, but again... at the time... HILARIOUS.

Oh yeah... the band was some bunch of posers that actually made a name for themselves...

BON JOVI.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Sep 23 2005, 11:05 AM)
Witchfynde at Mansfield Civic Theatre, c1979

Scorpions at Hammersmith Odeon, Savage Amusement tour

Marillion at Sheffield City Hall, Fugazi tour

Fish at Haddington Town Hall, Company Convention 1992

Wow... that's something. ohmy.gif

And, Witchfynde rock(edit: -ed). 1022.gif

Pink Floyd - Touring DSOTM and previewing songs from Wish You Were Here and Animals in Cardiff '75.

Pink Floyd - The Wall in Earls Court.

Ozzy and Blizzard of OZ

Most recent great gig was Peter Frampton unbelievably supporting Deep Purple? Deep Purple don't deserve to be on the same stage as Peter Frampton. He stole the show from the geriatric headliners.

Archived