Rush Sector Remaster Sets

capoetc

QUOTE (fordgt99 @ Dec 1 2011, 09:56 PM)
For those asking, all 5.1 versions are suppose to be available online for purchase soon. That was mentioned in a post on thedigitalbits.com site.

Thanks! You just made my decision very easy! No boxes for me.

P.S. With all these errors that have been found, I hope they get a real producer to do the remaining albums in 5.1...I nominate Steven Wilson!!!

Glad I have the alternate mixes.

Enjoy the uniqueness of these.

Errors?

I have not had the drop out issues on my set with FBN.

I find it exciting hearing new things on these. It really has made the experience fresh.

Anyway Power Windows:

My oh my we have a thick bottom end now! I love this remaster of this legendary album. I heard every tune except for Mystic Rhythms which i will hear on my way to lunch.

The new remaster is the definitive version.

Tonight I listen to AFTK in 5.1

On my drive home I am popping in Permanent Waves (I find this one will be hard pressed to beat the MFSL Gold version I have on both CD and Vinyl).

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 2 2011, 12:39 PM)
^ so

you're still thinking of buying them when SRO-Anthem have admitted to multiple problems?

interesting

oh Anthem admitted to them?

then no. I shall wait and hope they fix the problems.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 2 2011, 01:39 PM)
^ so

you're still thinking of buying them when SRO-Anthem have admitted to multiple problems?

interesting

If that bit from SRO-Anthem about replacement discs is for reals, then yeah, I'd be considering it, too. It's only lack of funds (stupid holiday shopping tongue.gif) that's keeping me from them.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 2 2011, 02:46 PM)
+1

I'm completely interested once the quality control issues have been ironed out

I got to tell you though the strings that are heard on Mission are wicked. They are subtle but effective.

Now I don't like that extra snare hit on Time Still after the first chorus. That is a very tiny minor annoyance. The space is missed for that half a second.

Signals 5.1 is amazing and unique. I love the fact we are getting a fresh sound on this amazing album. It really is cool. If your a major fan of Signals (and I have to think that is 95% of long time hard core Rush fans) then this will be a huge treat in 5.1 and hi-res stereo.

I listened to HYF and Power Windows all the way through. No question a marked improvement over the 97 remasters. The bottom end is much thicker. Geddy's bass is much better and pulled more forward.

Now Grace Under Pressure...I am mixed. I feel although it feels and sounds warmer the coldness and somewhat bright high end has been somewhat lost on this remaster. I did read the master tapes were not aging well at all and this may be why this remaster is not overly impressive. It's good but nothing groundbreaking "OMG this is the definitive version" good.

So thus far:

2112 - best version thus far

Hemispheres - No question the best version made.

Signals - Jaw dropping great on 5.1 and Hi-Res stereo and the CD is also fantastic.

Grace Under Pressure - nothing great can take it or leave it to be honest.

Power Windows - Cooks, fat bottom end and a superb remaster.

Hold Your Fire - Best version (with a minor half second hiccup in Time Stand Still). Mission has some surprises (underneath but cool strings on the second chorus and outro).

I still have not gotten to the 2 other 5.1 discs (but will this weekend) as well as Permanent Waves.

QUOTE (Todem @ Dec 2 2011, 04:57 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 2 2011, 02:46 PM)
+1

I'm completely interested once the quality control issues have been ironed out

I got to tell you though the strings that are heard on Mission are wicked. They are subtle but effective.

Now I don't like that extra snare hit on Time Still after the first chorus. That is a very tiny minor annoyance. The space is missed for that half a second...

I've heard the Sectors version of 'Mission' (I think the strings are a bit silly, way over the top - Rush had it right in '87)

regardless, I'd be much more interested in hearing the strings version of 'Mission' if it were a separate track

bluntly, it's not the 'official version' but it's being sold as such

that's wrong

these are advertised as: "...each Sector contains five of Rush's 15 Mercury albums in chronological order, all transferred to high resolution 96kHz/24-bit and digitally remastered for optimal quality..."

it says nothing of alternative mixes/editing imposed on the albums -I find that disingenuous

if a bonus disc/discs had been included, or if the packaging clearly stated "New and previously unheard alternate mixes of 15 classic Rush albums..." then we'd all be perfectly aware of what we were buying

and now, time for some perspective:

yes, the issues to date are indeed relatively small, and certainly not 'deal-breakers' for a lot of fans

I'm still not interested until they've been rectified

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 2 2011, 07:22 AM)
I'll be staying far, far away from these until the multiple errors are fixed

most notably:

> audible dropouts in the Fly By Night disc

> a botched 5.1 mix of AFTK (especially noticeable on Cygnus and CTTH)

> HYF errors

Time Stand Still
Two Simmons pad hits at 1 Min 38 Sec (like he plays it live)

Mission
Strings on second chorus

Tai Shan
Wind chimes during intro

High Water
"Elephant" guitar sound at 4 Min 37 Sec

etc etc

more seem to crop up every day (there's mention now that Signals has problems)

and if all of this seems like nitpicking, there's also been official acknowledgment of the errors:

Hi there, thanks for your email!

We are very aware of the problems and are currently working on rectifying the situation with fans who have already bought the product. Please stay tuned for updates on the Rush Facebook and Website for more info in the next day or so, on the topic of replacement discs.

Thank you,
SRO-Anthem

"Fly By Night" sounds great to my ears!

"Hold Your Fire" is up next thanks to your analysis!

Wow! The crisp highs of Alex's acoustic guitar on the intro to "In The End" is superb and then when Geddy's bass kicks in my entire living room is vibrating.

I'm fuckking in LOVE again! 1022.gif

The muddled dirty water audio on this record is gone!

I'm FLYING HIGH AGAIN! 1022.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 2 2011, 07:22 AM)
I'll be staying far, far away from these until the multiple errors are fixed

most notably:

> audible dropouts in the Fly By Night disc

> a botched 5.1 mix of AFTK (especially noticeable on Cygnus and CTTH)

> HYF errors

Time Stand Still
Two Simmons pad hits at 1 Min 38 Sec (like he plays it live)

Mission
Strings on second chorus

Tai Shan
Wind chimes during intro

High Water
"Elephant" guitar sound at 4 Min 37 Sec

etc etc

more seem to crop up every day (there's mention now that Signals has problems)

and if all of this seems like nitpicking, there's also been official acknowledgment of the errors:

Hi there, thanks for your email!

We are very aware of the problems and are currently working on rectifying the situation with fans who have already bought the product. Please stay tuned for updates on the Rush Facebook and Website for more info in the next day or so, on the topic of replacement discs.

Thank you,
SRO-Anthem

Wow Works!

I couldn't find anything wrong with FBN but man you nailed that 1:38 double Simmons stroke!

I just compared my 1997 USA remaster to the new one and you are right.

Why would they add that in? It's obviously not a flaw.

This reminds me of how George Lucus likes to fukk with his movies every 5 years and he makes them worse!!

I think the 2011 HYF sounds a bit better than the 1997 version though.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Hey Works!

I am sure an audiophile nut like yourself has the MFSL "Signals" gold disc.

What is your take on the missing verse on "The Weapon?"

I actually contacted MFSL about that issue and a woman who worked for them at the time told me that they were given the master tape before the final cut on accident.

Is this true?

"Anything can happen......"

The strings on "Mission" don't bother me at all!

The wind chimes on the intro to "Tai Shan" are very subtle and I think it's cool.

I heard the "elephant" guitar noise at 4:37. That's just straight up bizarre.

I don't understand who tweaked these parts. Why would they do it?

George Lucas would be proud I suppose, but at the end of the day these so-called flaws or problems really don't bother me.

Was this done on purpose to fukk with audiophile nut jobs like us??

Who knows. I can't wait to hear other interesting differences.

Bring them on Ghost! trink39.gif

These are remasters, which means the engineer is working from the original multi-track tapes. That means you will end up with a different mix, so there will be some sounds that were not there on the original album, but were there during the original recordings in the studio.

As far as p/g is concerned, here's what Andy Vandette (chief engineer) had to say:

"... Some of the albums weren't as thin toppy as I thought the were going to be. And for some I had a better source than the 1997 remasters. Some are brighter and clearer. Grace Under Pressure I tried for three days to make the tape transfer that I did sound as good as the existing CD. I figured that with the kind of care I put into the transfer - and having the original source - it would be a no-brainer; that this would be better than what's been out there. But it just wasn't the case: the tape didn't age well. It had lost lots of clarity. So I ended up using the 192 kHz transfer."

So, for those who can tell no difference between p/g '97 remaster and this remaster, there is a reason for that -- they are the same. No changes.

Dear RUSH fans,

I wanted to offer all 3 sector boxes to TRF. I purchased all 3 sector box sets off Amazon. Because of this I made a financial mistake with my bank account. I did not tell my wife and we are having a hard time making rent this month. 2 months ago I lost my job.

All sets have been opened but only sector 3 has been listened to (cd's only). So I would like to offer all 3 box sets to TRF members. Im asking $135.00 total usa only. If someone is interested please PM me.

Thanks

Robert

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Dec 4 2011, 01:31 PM)
I've always felt the keyboards in Grand Designs, especially at the end of the song, are a bit too loud/intense on the '97 remaster. For those who have Sectors, do you notice any difference in regards to this?

I'm listening to the new Power Windows Remaster right now!

I agree with you about the ear slicing keyboard parts on "Grand Designs."

To be honest, this remaster is the best one that I have heard so far.

You still get the sharp highs throughout the album yet they added an intense low end that is rumbling throughout my living room.

It's absolutely incredible!!!

"Power Windows" has always been a treble induced album. Well not anymore. They brought in more bass and all around low end tone to this album to make it sound well, magnificent.

Geddy's bass is popping my eardrums out on "Territories" right now.

This remaster gets an A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi, new on here but been listening to Rush since I was about 11 (41 now).

Just got my sectors box set (all three of them!) and the faults on the Fly By Night CD are all there as described elsewhere on here.

So what do folks think they're going to do about it? I thought about returning mine for an exchange but then I thought they're all going to be the same so pointless really.

Are Rush thinking of re-releasing another version of the faulty discs? e.g. corrected ones?

I've read on their website something like this.

Regards, Rich.

QUOTE (i think i'm going bald @ Dec 5 2011, 08:32 AM)
Hi, new on here but been listening to Rush since I was about 11 (41 now).

Just got my sectors box set (all three of them!) and the faults on the Fly By Night CD are all there as described elsewhere on here.

So what do folks think they're going to do about it? I thought about returning mine for an exchange but then I thought they're all going to be the same so pointless really.

Are Rush thinking of re-releasing another version of the faulty discs? e.g. corrected ones?

I've read on their website something like this.

Regards, Rich.

They've said there will be replacement discs. How they intend to go about getting new ones to you has not been announced yet.